• Raised $0.00

Ask your tuning questions here!

gotasuby

Nikk10 said:
Turbo like 3-3.5 max

About 10-12 for pump/inj/fmic/tune/turbo/labour

Maybe drop in tomei cams if there's space in the budget

Already have 3" tbe/intake/bov tuned to 195@j tune

Holy crap thats a big budget. Just drop it off to dtech with 13k cash and tell them to spend wisely. If spending that money silly not to forge shortie and aim for 300wkw. Tony has a borg on here that made silly power on a v11 iirc. Pretty sure theyve got a jig to make a twisted adaptor to suit stock t/s headers too.

evowrx said:
Holy crap thats a big budget. Just drop it off to dtech with 13k cash and tell them to spend wisely. If spending that money silly not to forge shortie and aim for 300wkw. Tony has a borg on here that made silly power on a v11 iirc. Pretty sure theyve got a jig to make a twisted adaptor to suit stock t/s headers too.

Ha I guess, just being realistic. It'll probably end up being less than that anyway. E&H quoted around 9 with a 4.4k HKS gt28 all installed with fuel and fmic. So with a 3k Blouch/Steam it'd be like 7ish considering that included a hi flow cat, which I probably need since imported post 2010 :(

Yeah I mean its a low K engine so with an EBC running like 220-230 low boost most of the time it should be ok for a couple of years till a full rebuild.

Cheers for the link, and the info! I dream of a twisted EFR 7670 sleeved 2.2 but that's a different realm of money. Kinda like thus guy; http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-members-journals/268336-2008-j

dm-sti-efr7670-kelford-282s-emtron-hks-481awhp-437awtq.html

Anyway we've probably derailed this thread enough! Cheers for the thoughts Evowrx

Stock tuned with breathing mods would be in that ballpark. High flow on stock turb would make it a sure thing. If upgrading turb really want to aim for 260wkw to justify the extra 7k-.

Throw the dtech longblock and borg in with a dave tune. Should keep you smiling and within budget ish.

I think they recommend it because they are usually approved dealers of HKS, tomei etc so easy install for them and has proof of expected power. Also a margin since they probably get a discount over buying on RHD Japan or wherever. In saying that the shops I've talked to are happy enough to let you buy your own **** outside of them.

Oh, another option I didn't mention I had was that turbochargers NZ think they can throw a gt or gtx 3076 CHRA onto the stock housing with a new comp cover. Much cheaper, but haven't seen it done on a VF 49. Similar to what Murch would/could do? I talked to him ages ago but I didn't have a real goal in mind

Nikk10 said:
I think they recommend it because they are usually approved dealers of HKS, tomei etc so easy install for them and has proof of expected power. Also a margin since they probably get a discount over buying on RHD Japan or wherever. In saying that the shops I've talked to are happy enough to let you buy your own **** outside of them.

Oh, another option I didn't mention I had was that turbochargers NZ think they can throw a gt or gtx 3076 CHRA onto the stock housing with a new comp cover. Much cheaper, but haven't seen it done on a VF 49. Similar to what Murch would/could do? I talked to him ages ago but I didn't have a real goal in mind

Blouch units are bolt-on on JDM STIs AFAIK and there is a guy in Australia running a 1.5XTR on his STI V8 or V9. Very fast spooling turbos but just kind of pricy. You have a big budget though and I think you can max the blouch unit on pump with a budget of 7k-7.5k max (no cams) with the mods you mentioned.

Edited by KingCole

KingCole said:
Blouch units are bolt-on on JDM STIs AFAIK and there is a guy in Australia running a 1.5XTR on his STI V8 or V9. Very fast spooling turbos but just kind of pricy. You have a big budget though and I think you can max the blouch unit on pump with a budget of 7k-7.5k max (no cams) with the mods you mentioned.

From what i remember reading when i was shopping for a turbo, the 1.5XTR were originally made for the the guys in the UK with 2L engines so will be sweet for our JDM cars.

Should be a straight bolt on.

When Tony fitted my stock location GT3071R he said it fitted mint with no issues at all. The ATP range could be another option you could look at, especially the GTX units with your budget.

• Admin

I'm sorry to but in here, but seriously get a Steve Murch Holset HX35/40 with a T/S Exhaust housing. Yes it won't fit in stock placing, but the turbo is 1.9k...... That's MORE than enough to get a up-pipe and down-pipe made to suit the turbo, and probably enough to get a intake made up to suit, for under the price of your 3 - 3.5k turbo.

Not to mention they're a absolute MENTAL turbo to begin with. With that budget and considering your flipping your Manifold and doing a FMIC anyway, why not do it as it'll have shorter piping being Twisted, for the same (roughly) money.

Dairusire said:
I'm sorry to but in here, but seriously get a Steve Murch Holset HX35/40 with a T/S Exhaust housing. Yes it won't fit in stock placing, but the turbo is 1.9k...... That's MORE than enough to get a up-pipe and down-pipe made to suit the turbo, and probably enough to get a intake made up to suit, for under the price of your 3 - 3.5k turbo.

Not to mention they're a absolute MENTAL turbo to begin with. With that budget and considering your flipping your Manifold and doing a FMIC anyway, why not do it as it'll have shorter piping being Twisted, for the same (roughly) money.

Heaps of people recommend these units but I am finding it hard to find any dyno graphs with these on ej207s on pump.

I found one Holset HX35 bolted to twinscroll ej207 V8 NASIOC (in 3rd gear on US 92 fuel and USDM 6 speed) but they seem to spool late. Does Steve do anything with the internals of the turbo? The 2.5XTR will outspool the HX35/40 on JDM STis by the looks of it. Kris_pran on here is running 2.5XTR on v7 STI which can be found here and the spool is very nice.

Edited by KingCole

• Admin
 KingCole said:
Heaps of people recommend these units but I am finding it hard to find any dyno graphs with these on ej207s on pump.

I found one Holset HX35 bolted to twinscroll ej207 V8 NASIOC (in 3rd gear on US 92 fuel and USDM 6 speed) but they seem to spool late. Does Steve do anything with the internals of the turbo? The 2.5XTR will outspool the HX35/40 on JDM STis by the looks of it. Kris_pran on here is running 2.5XTR on v7 STI which can be found here and the spool is very nice.

Internals of the turbo, I don't know. I think it's up to you. I know he does make CNC'd comp wheels etc, also his rear exhaust housings are different to those you'd get from a factory unit.

EDIT: Up to you to decide if you want him to. I know he does customize them. That's what I meant.

Edited by Dairusire

One thing with murch hes not in it for the money hes just passionate about what he does. Not many people like that anywhere. I dont know nor have i heard of anyone else who will spend hours fixing problems or giving advice without wanting something in return.

If youre dealing with steve be very clear about what you want and budget etc then listen to his recommendations. If it doesnt work ring him and tell him whats happening dont say oh fck your turbos **** because lets face it most of the time its not a turbo issue its cam or breathing related and after doing that why the fck would he want to help you.

Holset is a good option but yea big mish to make it fit and being this lad wants it done properly a bill from sinco would be hefty. Guys are doing the murch holset thing in nz but they tend to be people who arent self promoting on the web but the results are bloody good.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some questions on resetting stock ECUs with aftermarket tunes on them.

Car - V8 STI.

Is resetting a good idea if the car is running slightly rich and also has a rough idle? Is it safe to reset if there is an alarm/immobiliser installed in the car?

Rough idle symptoms - If the car is idling with first gear engaged and you blip the throttle then the car would almost stall by dipping the revs and coming back up. AC is not on during this. I am planning to get my IACV cleaned and MAF cleaned prior to reset.

A/F rich symptons - Distinctive Carbon build up on the rear bumper and smell of unburnt fuel. Sadly, I dont have a cable/gauge to log anything so just going but the gut here.

Any help will be appreciated.

Edit: I have a K N Filter, 3" exhaust system and EBCS installed on the car. All the mods have been mapped for

KingCole said:
Oh yes, forgot to mention that I also have a venting Genuine HKS SSQ BOV.

I have the same BOV with a similar idle symptom to you, not as bad but very similar....have been thinking about getting a recirc to see if it will help. Will keep an eye on this post.

D1Style said:
I have the same BOV with a similar idle symptom to you, not as bad but very similar....have been thinking about getting a recirc to see if it will help. Will keep an eye on this post.

I will test for boost leaks next week anyway to see if the BOV is leaking. The car was tuned with the BOV on it and did not have any issues till a few weeks ago

Just had my car run on the dyno after TD04 -> TD05 and 3B ECU -> Z4 ECU.

AFR's seem to be around 12.6 up high, is this normal? or do I need to possibly have injectors looked at or something?

lamlopn3.hrq.jpg

Yes the boost is really lazy. I didn't pretention my wastegate

I have just been in contact with xtreme tuning (saw an ad on facebook). I asked what they could do for my 1998 BH9 2.5 N/A engine. They have come back saying they can bump the HP by 20 and Tq by 50. The price for this is $850. This is without any engine/exhaust/intake mods. The question is would it be worth it and how noticeable would the changes be. I was under the impression that you couldn't do anything to the ECU. I can post the full email if anyones interested.