Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fitting cruise control

richnorm

Wingers wanted $167 plus GST. Anyway, in the end I found one at Strongs for $40 plus GST.

And, Eureka, I now have working cruise control!

Many thanks for the help here, especially Ross, would not have got to this point without you. Subaru and various auto electricians said it was not possible without major wiring, hardware and software changes. But in reality it cost me $80 in parts and no wiring changes. There was a heart stopping moment on the first test run when I touched the brakes and the ABS and stabillity control error lights came on but this was fixed (I think) by adjusting the brake pedal travel on the new switch which was dragging a bit. All works fine now, really smooth with the CVT. Now for my trusty \'97 Impreza.

cheers

Richard

sobanoodle said:

Awesome news! Ross is beauty that\'s for sure!

Would you be able to do a small writeup of what you did with some photos if possible? Would be nice to have as a reference!

Yeah, it was a good feeling! Sure, will do write-up. Might be best to start a new thread. This one wanders a bit and really it is a very simple job.

richnorm']

[quote name='sobanoodle said:

Awesome news! Ross is beauty that\'s for sure!

Would you be able to do a small writeup of what you did with some photos if possible? Would be nice to have as a reference!

/quote]

Yeah, it was a good feeling! Sure, will do write-up. Might be best to start a new thread. This one wanders a bit and really it is a very simple job.

pretty much every thread on clubsub :)

OK then, I will write up here! I think this would work on any car with an electronic throttle (all Subarus since about 2004?)

So, my 2010 Exiga (CVT version) didn\'t have cruise control and Subaru plus a few sparkies told me it was too hard to retrofit. Subaru even very kindly contacted the head office in Japan for me. But this wasn\'t the answer I wanted so I got hold of the workshop manual for a 2010 Legacy/Outback from the net (together with a couple of viruses!) These two pages were encouraging:

IMG_5987.jpg?t=1398897084

IMG_5988.jpg?t=1398897110

Two bits were missing from my car. The CC buttons and the brake switch. It took me a while to realise the brake switch is not the same as the stoplight switch. The brake switch only has a use for CC and is combined with the stop light switch. The way to tell the difference is by looking at the number of pins (2 or 4). Here\'s the original 2 pin which I replaced:

IMG_5985.jpg

Wife\'s calling for dinner, to be continued...

Step1 is to buy and fit the CC buttons. The same "pad" is used on various models but there seems to be different plugs used. Mine has a socket for 8 wires so I bought a pad with an 8 pin plug which came off a 2012 Impreza. It cost me about $35 delivered from Israel! Others might have 10 or 12. To fit the buttons you must remove the steering wheel which is not difficult but don\'t forget to disconnect the battery and allow time for all current to discharge! Detailed instructions are here:

The buttons plug in here.

IMG_5942.jpg

This is the old plug with just the horn wire attached.

IMG_5986.jpg

You will have to remove the steering wheel to remove the blank plate and bolt on the pad. Removing the airbag was really simple on my car but I think some other (older?) models have clips which can be tricky.

Buttons are in:

IMG_5989.jpg

Step 2. Now you fit the 4 pin brake/stop light switch. Sometimes the 4 pin switch is already installed so you can skip this step. Here\'s mine before the swap:

IMG_5929.jpg

The plug for the 4-pin was already wired into the loom and taped out of the way:

IMG_5975.jpg

Simply unplug and unbolt the 2 pin and replace with the 4 pin switch. Be careful that the bolts are tight and the brake travel is the same.

If your car is a manual you may also have to also fit a clutch switch (not sure about this though as it may have another function not connected to cruise control in which case it will already be there)

Final step is the reconnect the battery. Some kind of intall/reboot occurs which takes about 30 seconds - don\'t touch anything unless you understand Japanese!

Now you can go for a drive and enjoy cruise control! If you get an ABS/traction control warning (like I did) it will disable cruise. I think this was because I didn\'t allow enough brake lever travel. I adjusted the bolts a few turns and the problem has not happened again. If you have problems FreeSSM has a helpful cruise control diagnostic. That\'s how I belatedly realised I needed a different brake switch.

That\'s it. Hopefully this will help someone. Would be good if others who have tried this let us know which models/years worked or otherwise.

cheers

Richard

• Like 1

Very nice write up. ;D

I\'m interested to know how many other models this can be done on. My BH5 has a clutch switch, but only effects start up afaik. Mines bridged so it will start without the clutch in.

I can\'t see a spare 4 pin plug anywhere in my brake switch loom though. Maybe the auto model does?

Rosssub said:

Very nice write up. ;D

I\'m interested to know how many other models this can be done on. My BH5 has a clutch switch, but only effects start up afaik. Mines bridged so it will start without the clutch in.

I can\'t see a spare 4 pin plug anywhere in my brake switch loom though. Maybe the auto model does?

Did they ever do CC in 3rd gens? I think USDM had this option, don\'t remember seeing any locally ???

sobanoodle said:

Did they ever do CC in 3rd gens? I think USDM had this option, don\'t remember seeing any locally ???

My friends NA auto 99 BH has CC, all of the JDM gen 3 workshop manuals I have show the full CC wiring, module etc. So it\'s very possible.

Rosssub']

[quote name='sobanoodle said:

/quote]

My friends NA auto 99 BH has CC, all of the JDM gen 3 workshop manuals I have show the full CC wiring, module etc. So it\'s very possible.

Cool, should research a bit more then.

Rosssub said:

Thanks Ross. Didn\'t your\'s have a 4 pin anyway? I think some cars have the 4 pin even though CC not fitted. Hardly seems worth the trouble of having different looms and switches but that\'s marketing I suppose!

I did notice when researching Freessm that a car appeared not to have CC activated though maybe it gets loaded when you install the buttons? Something happens then though might just be a reboot after battery disconnected?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having some issues getting mine to work:

06 legacy 3.0r wagon si drive auto

Fitted cruise buttons

fitted genuine brake switch

didnt do any type of software update upon hooking battery back up

Getting no cruise control lights at all on dash

hooking up freessm to car tells me the following

Green tick by cruise control on left hand side

cruise system is saying on

all buttons and brake and stop switches are working as freessm picking it up.

clutch is saying off though.

Any thoughts people?

Just done a round trip 1000km in 2 days and woulda been handy having it going

jonossiksilvia said:
I'm having some issues getting mine to work:

06 legacy 3.0r wagon si drive auto

Fitted cruise buttons

fitted genuine brake switch

didnt do any type of software update upon hooking battery back up

Getting no cruise control lights at all on dash

hooking up freessm to car tells me the following

Green tick by cruise control on left hand side

cruise system is saying on

all buttons and brake and stop switches are working as freessm picking it up.

clutch is saying off though.

Any thoughts people?

Just done a round trip 1000km in 2 days and woulda been handy having it going

Check all fuses, engine bay and drivers foot well. Maybe an empty fuse slot that needs one?