Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fitting cruise control

richnorm

So the manual I looked up says to use b136 and pin 9 for the brake and b134 pin 1 for clutch switch bypass, I think this is for a JDM 2007 GT auto but possibly not

Also thanks for detailed pics!

Edited by k1w1

Added the steering wheel controls (from Strongs) to 2007 JDM facelift outback 3.0r  (button start).  The dash now shows cruise and set lights during the light test. Picked up the 4 pin brake switch but pretty sure the loom only has a 2 wire socket.   Tried it with the stock 2 pin anyway the dash cruise light is toggled with the button but set doesn't work.  got a DTC 61 (Malfunction in the stop light & brake switch is detected) on FreeSSM's cruise section.  read the thread here seems some more wiring is required prolly pass on DIY.  anyone got an auckland business that could help out  ?

ps/ how to remove the OBD II port to get driver footwell trim out of the way ? nearly broke the thing before giving up

Edited by ajayel

2 hours ago, Subirex Automotive said:

well this sucks. pre-facelift legacies have the added extra loom for 4 pin brake light switch. facelifts dont. but can be done with the right pinouts from BCM and ECU.

Pre- push start facelift models also have 4pin brake switch, higher trims at least (GT/3.0).  

• Like 1

from this diagram ECM pin B20 wants 12v when ignition on and the brake pedal released for CC to work.  there is a pin C25 tied to ignition 12v on the AT that is used for clutch switch on the MT.  hopefully C25 is wired to steal 12v for the new contacts on the 4 pin brake switch (reminds me to pick up a matching loom plug).  otherwise will have to find that elsewhere and maybe also plumb back to C25. i'll have a look at the JDM ECU next weekend and check my cable colours and pin outs match the diagram.  

took a look at my ECU today (it's labeled ED) pins and cable colours match the diagram. pin 20 on B135 is vacant. the clutch pin 25 on B136 is wired which is sweet. just need to run ignition 12v through the new brake switch back to B135 pin 20. picked up a similar ECU connector from strongs to figure out getting a pin out and in.  whats the secret to de-pinning these or just hacksaw one out of a spare connector?  andy

What is everyone paying for the brake switch? I just got quoted $132 delivered to nelson for a used brake switch, a used 4 pin plug for the brake switch and 1 spare ecu plug (to get the pins) from Strongs ...

3 hours ago, k1w1 said:

What is everyone paying for the brake switch? I just got quoted $132 delivered to nelson for a used brake switch, a used 4 pin plug for the brake switch and 1 spare ecu plug (to get the pins) from Strongs ...

Just get aftermarket tridon universal one. Cheap as. Crimp new space terminals on to factory harness and job done.

• General Member
28 minutes ago, ajayel said:

inspired by the people on club sub and reading the suby docs i figured DIY this weekend and share the notes before forgetting.

ah maze ing write up man!

awesome info & well wrote out thanks for sharing thats why we love this place!

1 hour ago, ajayel said:

Inspired by the people on club sub and reading the suby docs i figured DIY this weekend and share the notes before forgetting.

This guy is seriously a good sort, before writing this diy he helped me out with info for this mod and even sent me a spare ecu plug so I had the pins FOR FREE!

Edited by k1w1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

A great helpful post.  Thank you for posting it.  I have had my 2005 3.0L Outback for 7 years now and love the car.  However, i really regret not getting a model fitted with Cruise Control when i bought it.  I have looked online many times trying to find out how to fit it retrospectively and always came up blank.  After reading this post i pulled my drivers footwell and steering wheel to pieces and found that the wiring and connections were already in place.  I got myself a steering wheel with cruise controls on and fitted it.  The computer recognised the controls at start up, but of course i couldn't set it as i only had a 2 pin brake pedal switch.  For some reason getting a 4 pin switch proved to be impossible.  Tridon have them listed but have discontinued them.  Even the local Subaru dealer couldn't help.  Multiple wreckers came up empty handed.

Eventually i found a way around it using a 12V DC single pole relay:

1.  Using the normally closed contacts on the relay tap in to the yellow and green/yellow wires on the 4 pin plug by the brake pedal.  This sends the closed signal to the computer that it is looking for to enable you to set the cruise control.

2.  Pick up the brown/white wire on the 2 pin brake pedal switch and connect it to the +12V on the relay coil.  This is the wire that goes to the brake lights.

3.  Connect the 0V on the relay coil to any convenient 0V point.  I used the cigarette lighter as it was easy to access.

It works perfectly and when the brake is applied the closed signal to the computer is broken and the cruise control is deactivated.  I can now drive comfortably without getting an aching right leg and spending more time looking at the speedo than the road in order to avoid giving extra voluntary contributions to Government funds.  Thank you again for the original post.

• Like 4

So 2011 Impreza and forester switch part number seems to be 83154FG040.

4 pin brake switch 83370AA001 or older 83370AA000

can anyone put some links in here to the parts for the 08 Impreza and any other models.

has anyone tried this in a car without any steering wheel audio controls?

14 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

https://partsouq.com/

See if you need any other genuine bits and pieces to offset shipping costs - plastic clips, missing trim bits, even genuine air/oil filters.

What's the best way to find the matching part numers for your car.

this Subaru is the first where I don't have the dealer DVD with all the cars and parts.

17 minutes ago, Gripless said:

What's the best way to find the matching part numers for your car.

this Subaru is the first where I don't have the dealer DVD with all the cars and parts.

Partsouq has parts catalogues, enter your chassis number and then browse through sections ---> diagrams and find part numbers of what you need.

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/locate?c=Subaru+Japan

OR

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

• 5 weeks later...