Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 STi engine swap

Ok,

I brought a v4 STi wagon as practically a complete car. I have everything inc loom, 6s ecu, manifold, injectors, air intake etc etc just missing block and heads. I also brought a complete v7 STi motor inc loom and ecu.

So my question is:

Can I use the complete v7 motor inc heads in the v4? If so what needs to be done?

STiNGR said:

Ok,

I brought a v4 STi wagon as practically a complete car. I have everything inc loom, 6s ecu, manifold, injectors, air intake etc etc just missing block and heads. I also brought a complete v7 STi motor inc loom and ecu.

So my question is:

Can I use the complete v7 motor inc heads in the v4? If so what needs to be done?

Nice. ;D Yes you can, but it will be a "Mission".

Version 7 STI runs AVCS Heads. Also has a completely different "Sensor Voltage" to the Version 4 Wagon. So you will need the Full Dash Loom/Speedo Cluster, then run into trouble fooling the V7 ECU about all the missing Sensor Signals etc (abs/airbags/dccd?). A lot of Wiring/ECU Trickery etc.

Would be a lot easier fitting some Version 4 STI RA Heads, onto the EJ207 Short Block. then running all the current V4 Gear (ecu/mani/injectors/loom).

Then you can sell the Version 7 extras, Mani/Heads/Injectors etc to cover some of the costs? If you do I\'ll buy the AVCS Heads for my Link etc. ;)

rex-leggy said:

link and a repin of the harness. jase (gotasuby) could wire it up and tune it for you rather easy.

he has done many simlar

Link would be "much" easier than the V7 AVCS ECU. ;D

Gets pretty dang expensive though, as I\'m finding out. Hence the Version 5 J2 ECU for starters.

I had the conversion done last year, ended up costing a bit but worth it in the long run. VVT engine has quite a bit more torque. You\'ll need a few bits along the way such as custom power steering lines etc..., radiator hoses and a few other bits. Nothing serious.

6822418168_f8c9cfd4f9_b.jpg

9725174535_dc5c285052_c.jpg

scooby-wrx said:

I had the conversion done last year, ended up costing a bit but worth it in the long run. VVT engine has quite a bit more torque. You\'ll need a few bits along the way such as custom power steering lines etc..., radiator hoses and a few other bits. Nothing serious.

6822418168_f8c9cfd4f9_b.jpg

9725174535_dc5c285052_c.jpg

Did you do the ECU/Loom work etc?

scooby-wrx said:

Not myself, Dtech here in Tauranga did it for me and did a great job. Very tidy, with no issues. I\'m running a factory V7 STI ECU despite everyone saying a Link would be easier... Still a lot of wiring required, this box terrified me!

7977364918_510501d5ef_c.jpg

That Box full of Wiring is what I\'m getting at. ;D

I\'d originally looked into fitting a Version 7 STI ECU myself, for my BH Conversion. The idea didn\'t last very long at all, once I started looking into what was involved.

The Link G4 is the easiest/best way to use the Version 7 Heads VVT/AVCS/Pinks etc. The VVT is worth the expense for the added Torque. But looking at $2000 minimum to achieve it.

The Version 7 AVCS Heads can be used with the V7 ECU and the AVCS disabled. But then not at all worth the effort.

STiNGR can get some Version 4 STI Heads, for $150-$300 and have a Fully Forged/Running V4 STI.

With Parts to sell, or keep for Link G4 install further down the road.

scooby-wrx said:

Not myself, Dtech here in Tauranga did it for me and did a great job. Very tidy, with no issues. I\'m running a factory V7 STI ECU despite everyone saying a Link would be easier... Still a lot of wiring required, this box terrified me!

7977364918_510501d5ef_c.jpg

wtf is all this? Well I now see it can be done. What would the car be worth to sell running a complete v7 motor? I did buy the car to get running/sell and make some money. Don\'t want to drop heaps of cash at it really.

• Admin

It would look much less scary if you unrolled it and plugged it all in to where it goes.

If you know which end of a soldering iron to hold and how to read a wiring diagram it can\'t be that hard.

evowrx said:

Car will be worth similar money with the V7 shortblock/V4 STI heads as it would running full v7 tbh. Make a fair bit more that way by the time you flick off avcs heads/ecu etc.

Might just go down that path then...