Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 wrx to sti headlight conversion

scylar

Hey guys, ive started my headlight conversion from non hiid bugeye headlights to sti headlights using the lightwerkz harness.. It is pretty much straight forward except for certain portion of this tutorial from nasioc

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2408002

Now the problem is the same as the second to the last post.

I blew a fuse from the harness.. Anyone got any idea on what to do?

Rosssub said:

LW red - brown

LW black - orange

How many spare fuses have you got? ;)

Quick question. The other socket on the ballast which has got a triangle socket, my headlights socket which has got the orange wire cover doest match up as its a rectangular shape, do i just splice and match up? Like orange to orange and brown to brown?

scylar']

[quote name='Rosssub said:

LW red - brown

LW black - orange

/quote]

Quick question. The other socket on the ballast which has got a triangle socket, my headlights socket which has got the orange wire cover doest match up as its a rectangular shape, do i just splice and match up? Like orange to orange and brown to brown?

Yes.

If there is a third, black wire? It goes straight to a solid earth/chassis.

Rosssub']

LW red - brown

LW black - orange

/quote]

Yes.

If there is a third, black wire? It goes straight to a solid earth/chassis.

Thanks will try first thing

Rosssub said:

Where have you connected the LW main earth?

Is it the top plug that is different for you? Orange and brown instead of blue and black?

7989125118_81f4d95504.jpg

yes i have the orange and brown instead of the blue and black then i plugged it red to orange 1st and brown to black, fuse blew, now red to brown and orange to black. nothing is happening. changed the relay just in case still no go

Now that you\'ve swapped the orange and brown over, did the fuse blow again?

Edit: In the Pic you can see the orange and brown coming out of the ballast, leading to the blue wire. To double check they are around the right way.

Rosssub said:

Now that you\'ve swapped the orange and brown over, did the fuse blow again?

Edit: In the Pic you can see the orange and brown coming out of the ballast, leading to the blue wire. To double check they are around the right way.

yes checked. i basing from that pic orange is on left and brown is right. swapped and they didnt blow... cant think of anything wrong.. what can you suggest i do next?

Rosssub said:

Silly question I know but...Have you double checked the bulbs since the short?

Edit: Also check all fuses in the engine bay fuse box.

yeah i did, i only used one pair which was the right side on the first stuff up.. but could be that too.. i used the other bulb and other ballast on the next try. still nothing.. would the bulbs be affected as well as the ballast when it blew?

Rosssub said:

Looking at wiring diagrams, the low beams get their power from the lighting switch.

The lighting switch fuse is the small 20a fuse in the engine bay box, (closest row to battery).

checked that and its working.. tried to stuff in the original headlights, went on fine.. used the a light tester and was still fine

Just been looking at the Head light wiring diagrams again.

Both the High beam and the Low beam share power source, linked in the headlight itself.

The lighting switch is the earth for the low beam.

If your high beam is working fine, then the ballasts and power source are good.

Have you got the small black earth wire coming from the ballast? Have you run it straight to the chassis?

Rosssub said:

Where have you connected the LW main earth?

Is it the top plug that is different for you? Orange and brown instead of blue and black?

7989125118_81f4d95504.jpg

yes i have a black ground wire coming from the triangle shaped socket on the ballast but id doesnt connect to the ballast itself. its just screwed on the bracket. what did was tapped the black wire that comes from the headlight (black wire coverd by orange wire cover) to the chassis and left the black wire from the ballast (black wire which is screwed to the bracket) alone

Rosssub said:

That plate that the ballast was attached to is steel, it looks like the ballast itself is earthing to that plate.

I think you should take the short black wire coming off the ballast and earth it straight to the chassis.

ok wil give that a try.. what would i do to the black wire on the headlight itself? ground it to the chasis as well?

scylar']

That plate that the ballast was attached to is steel, it looks like the ballast itself is earthing to that plate.

I think you should take the short black wire coming off the ballast and earth it straight to the chassis.

/quote]

ok wil give that a try.. what would i do to the black wire on the headlight itself? ground it to the chasis as well?

Yip, both straight to chassis.

Rosssub']

/quote]

will give it a try and see.. hope it works or im buying me some bulbs lol

scylar']

/quote]

will give it a try and see.. hope it works or im buying me some bulbs lol

Trust me, afaik I\'m right. ;D