Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Autolign or suspension tech rebuild?

Suspension tech charged me $250 + gst per corner to rebuild and revalve my 40mm bilsteins 3 months ago, so like evowrx said, probably other way round. Maybe because they revalved mine as well its more expensive than just a rebuild? Anyways I have no complaints with the service.

• 2 weeks later...
 B4 I was 250T said:
Wow! I went to this place in Chch and was quoted $400 per corner! FML! :-(

Probably because they were sending it to autolign then putting some crazy markup on it. Not saying definitely just probably.

Sounds a bit steep... But worth it I assume. Any idea what's involved in the rebuild as I stripped my V6 STI shocks a few years ago for a re-grease - I assume they're similar design. Anyway, they're back to clunking and banging so wandered if I should have done something else? Cheers

15586855.jpg

44415617.jpg

19006322.jpg

61838977.jpg

93190953.jpg

cs7c.jpg

An update: cluncking did not go away 100% but i could feel its definitely better than the non revalve ones. Can live with a bit of clunking.

Yeah $840 is a bit steep, considering i did all suspension work myself. Droped off the struts at east tamaki.

Wonder how much if s.tech did all the work? Additional $350.

Now i am wondering if i should've gone to coilover route.

Coilovers $1,400-ish plus cert

Bilstein $840 rebuild

Performance wise which is better bang for buck?

DacerX Yes, its a Fuller set but the springs are Tein's. I re-sprayed them before putting the shocks back together.

seith_31 Thanks for the update. I'm in the same boat... I guess it depends on driving preference / style. I have a set of Tein coilovers but had enough of bouncing around during daily driving... I find STI or Bilstein's a bit more forgiving. I guess we'll have to tolerate one or the other noise or ride.

scooby-wrx said:
Sounds a bit steep... But worth it I assume. Any idea what's involved in the rebuild as I stripped my V6 STI shocks a few years ago for a re-grease - I assume they're similar design. Anyway, they're back to clunking and banging so wandered if I should have done something else? Cheers

A rebuild will do what you did plus open the shock up, and replace the internals. With the inverted strut,

the clunking usually isn't a problem with the shock itself, but how the shock body moves inside the strut casing.

Edited by loner

• 4 months later...

Update guys. 2 weeks ago, knocking on the left strut came back. Chris sorted that out then this time right side started knocking again. With the left knocking a bit already. Im just about had it with this rebuild.

I had a very good deal with brand new front struts for $687 and just went for it. When subierex was helping me install the strut this came along.

imagejpg1.jpg

So this was causing the knock. It was improperly mounted and was hitting the strut rod on bumps.

Not very good.