Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Forum Downtime !! PLEASE READ

loner']

Can\'t the new server be made ready, then just swap the dns records over? A two day outage seems a bit s***.

Yes and no. This is essentially what will happen but the CS database is so big it takes ~12 hours to import (and some times fails) and don\'t want to miss any latest posts.

Ta

Sure, I see that... but is it possible to do an initial sync that takes 12 hours... then just keep doing re-syncs hourly or whatever?

Hopefully the re-syncs will be really quick depending on how they are done.

No big deal if it\'s down for 2 days... just seems unnecessary.

The 2 days is worst case scenario (aka I bother something up and have to start from scratch, DNS problems, etc). It should be done within the day. The way it\'s imported as well is a bit ghetto (no CLI)

I also have to go in and re-write all the Intro, How-to\'s etc. And it\'s easier to be moving stuff around while there is zero activity on the forum.

[quote name='newsuba said:

warning bells should be going off.

what\'s perceived to be wrong with the forum?

everything seems to be working.

I\'ve been on forums that had been updated and improved to near unusability.

What you see, yes. Behind the scenes it\'s an absolute pig.

If all else fails we will still have a backup of these forums we can revert to. The main issues with our current setup are 1) the forum itself - old crusty version, 2) our host pretty much holds us by our balls and we can\'t do ANYTHING, 3) it\'s time for a change.. new forum allows us to offer better things to our members.

--

If anyone else has any questions I\'m more than happy to take them in PM.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

newsuba said:

This has been in the pipeline for some time, and many many many hours have been put into it and the results are amazing.

loner']

[quote name='loner said:

Can\'t the new server be made ready, then just swap the dns records over? A two day outage seems a bit s***.

/quote]

Yes and no. This is essentially what will happen but the CS database is so big it takes ~12 hours to import (and some times fails) and don\'t want to miss any latest posts.

Ta

Sure, I see that... but is it possible to do an initial sync that takes 12 hours... then just keep doing re-syncs hourly or whatever?

Hopefully the re-syncs will be really quick depending on how they are done.

No big deal if it\'s down for 2 days... just seems unnecessary.

Are you concerned about CS withdrawls Loren? ;)

Yeah, no. Not really... but it\'s a pretty heavily used site... can anyone imagine NASIOC going down for 2 days for a scheduled update?

Nasoic is often down for hours its bloody annoying. Easier if they just did it once a month or something.

and this is the first breaking change CS has made since 2009, so 5 years of largely 99.9% up time and full retention of back up and information is pretty sharp.

so a 2 day forecast outage in 5 years of up time, for a forum of people that don\'t get paid for this stuff.

Hats off.

tl:dr don\'t be a grizzly bitch Loren.

deathz0r']

[quote name='newsuba said:

/quote]

What you see, yes. Behind the scenes it\'s an absolute pig.

If all else fails we will still have a backup of these forums we can revert to. The main issues with our current setup are 1) the forum itself - old crusty version, 2) our host pretty much holds us by our balls and we can\'t do ANYTHING, 3) it\'s time for a change.. new forum allows us to offer better things to our members.

--

If anyone else has any questions I\'m more than happy to take them in PM.

Good luck and may the Force be with you !

;)

Lucky day for you guys.

Zylex has messed with the permissions so I can\'t enable maintenance mode to start the migration... Can\'t WAIT to be rid of these guys. It WILL be starting roughly 9-10am tomorrow morning

Cheers all

deathz0r said:

Lucky day for you guys.

Zylex has messed with the permissions so I can\'t enable maintenance mode to start the migration... Can\'t WAIT to be rid of these guys. It WILL be starting roughly 9-10am tomorrow morning

Cheers all

Holy fuck youre decorated.

JoKer said:

also I think we found a new bunch of volunteers who thinks its easy

edit : stars are like postcounts : they dont really matter/prove anything

How do you get the stars? xD

Should we still be able to use this if the updates happening?

• General Member

I take it back : they do prove something, paid members and committee get different number/colour of stars depending on position, I have an image/table around somewhere

edit

Stars.jpg

no doubt this may change with new system (maybe)

don't know if this is where you ask questions but I will anyway.

On the old forum I just use to click on the section that gave a list of the posts you commented on and work my way through that list, is this still available now?

Think it was set out.

posts you have commented on.

etc

etc