Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rosssub's Single Turbo Conversion.

Rosssub

After 4 months of sourcing parts I'm almost ready to start assembling. With 285 photo's already uploaded to my conversion photo album, this thread is well overdue.

My car is a 2000 BH5B TT Legacy GTB, that used to look like this:

Earth_tidy_up_002.jpg

At 214,000 the original engine was removed. After I snapped 2 valves and put a hole in a piston:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?41108-Chasing-a-new-water-leak-after-coolant-change-flush

Then the EJ208 short block was disassembled:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?42022-Stripping-EJ208-Short-Block-Separation

My original TT intake manifold stripped and compared to other options:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?41940-BH5B-TT-Intake-Manifold-stripped-Compared-to-V6-STI

Manifold prepped then painted VHT aluminium (vht 207):

Aluminum_Paint_01_004.jpg

Aluminum_Paint_02_001_1.jpg

Every part being reused has been painted or polished:

polish_004.jpg

Original fuel lines and injectors polished and reinstalled:

fuel_lines_in_001.jpg

I've stripped and rebuilt my TT BBOD, ready for conversion:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?42159-BBOD-Converted-to-Version-6-Link-G4-Solenoid-Control-Box

Brought a new version 5-6 M&H silicone intake pipe, seen here above my TT original:

New_Intake_004.jpg

Brought a second hand version 7 STI header tank:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?42682-Header-Tank-Internal-Corrosion-Version-7-STI

Conversion vac lines ready, new header tank, intake pipe and original TT TB installed:

fuel_lines_in_003.jpg

The original TT turbo to TMIC hard pipes removed and a STI Y-Pipe installed:

TMIC_Conversion_001.jpg

TMIC_Conversion_006.jpg

Y-Pipe, block coolant crossover pipe and TMIC painted ready to go:

Aluminum_Paint_02_001_2.jpg

All put together looking pretty:

Original_manifold_painted_001.jpg

Original TT starter motor and alternator serviced, painted/polished:

starter_alternator_001.jpg

I had 2 sets of rocker covers, so polished one set:

Rocker_002.jpg

Then painted the others VHT wrinkle red SP204:

paint_03_002.jpg

I've brought a second hand, version 8 STI twin scroll VF36 turbo, (done 30,000km), with matching Spec C tuned length headers and down pipe:

Version_8_VF36_STI_Spec_C_003.jpg

Version_8_VF36_STI_Spec_C_004.jpg

Here's the new VF36, beside my original VF27 secondary turbo:

Turbo_010.jpg

Turbo_007.jpg

Needing a replacement engine I started looking at options, ending up with this thread:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?41847-EJ205-EJ207-EJ208-Short-Block-Identification

I went for a rebuilt version 7 STI EJ207 short block, forged internals and a semi closed deck block:

New_Short_Block_arrival_007.jpg

The new EJ207 semi closed deck beside my original BH5B open deck:

New_Short_Block_arrival_020.jpg

I was expecting version 7 STI molybdenum pistons, but due to a part number mix up the block arrived with version 1-2 cast alloy dog bone pistons. These have been removed:

Pistons_out_004.jpg

Then exchanged for a new set of these:

STA p/n PS209EJ20T .25R - Semi Forged Eutectic, 17cc dish:

STA_Semi_Forged_Eutectic_001.jpg

Next to the Version 1-2 cast dogbones that were originally in the short block:

STA_Semi_Forged_Eutectic_004.jpg

New semi forged eutectic pistons going in:

Semi_forged_pistons_in_001.jpg

New semi forged eutectic pistons installed:

Semi_forged_pistons_in_005.jpg

Got a twin scroll sump and oil pickup with the short block, seen here with my original:

New_Short_Block_arrival_018.jpg

The short block polished up and ready to go.

polished_block_and_heads_005.jpg

I've cleaned and reinstalled my original oil cooler, a new GMB water pump and OEM 10mm oil pump. I went with the 10mm pump after this thread:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?42282-Oil-Pump-options-10mm-11mm-12mm

I've brought a second hand set of version 6 STI heads, they have been machined, pressure tested and of course polished ready to fit:

polished_block_and_heads_002.jpg

Thread comparing the new version 6 heads with my original TT heads:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?42216-Heads

Version 6 STI head combustion chamber measured after machining, to 48.8cc:

Head_CC_measure_005.jpg

I'm using a version 6 STI J2 ECU for the initial conversion, (engine break in). Then after running the new short block in, I'm changing to a Link G3 (running Link G4 firmware):

Link_002.jpg

At the same time I will install a version 7 STI TMIC, baby blue 440cc top feed injectors (eventually changing to Pink 565cc) and a version 7 STI clutch master cylinder. Still need a few bits like Knock light and a few sensors, gauges etc:

GDB_brake_booster_001.jpgBaby_blues_in_V7_STI_001.jpgTMIC_Mount_002.jpgV6_V7_006.jpg

That's where I'm at so far, currently waiting for some head gaskets to arrive to double check quench and compression measurements, before bolting the heads on and measuring valve clearances.

:)

Got the new head gaskets today, cameras playing up but they are OEM p/n 11044AA463. They are version 1/4 STI MLS gaskets.

I've read plenty of threads claiming these HG to be 1.6mm thick (1.58mm compressed), which would of set my compression ration at 7.842:1, a bit lower than I want. But read a few threads stating them to be 1.37mm compressed which would set me at 7.979:1. Took the gamble and they are spot on 1.385mm thick, so will be 1.37mm crushed. So:

92.25mm bore

75mm stroke

48.8cc combustion chamber (version 6 STI heads/machined)

17cc piston dish

-0.5mm clearance to deck/CTD (piston head above block 0.5mm at TDC)

93.3mm HG bore diameter

1.37mm HG thickness crushed

CR - 7.979:1, with a 0.87mm quench.

Perfection. :)

I got the version 7 block coolant crossover pipe I was after, seen here below the version 5/6 STI:

V6_V7_001.jpg

Also a difference in the coolant hard line that sits above it (header tank to water pump). The GDA/GDB hard line is taller to clear the TGV on the version 7 intake manifold:

V6_V7_002.jpg

Header tank bottom port/bottom hose differences:

V6_V7_003.jpg

One last look before the heads go on:

First_head_on_001.jpg

Left bank head gasket on:

First_head_on_003.jpg

Left head in place:

First_head_on_004.jpg

Head bolts in:

First_head_on_005.jpg

Valve shims and lifters in:

second_head_installed_001.jpg

Cams in:

second_head_installed_002.jpg

Cam keepers in:

second_head_installed_003.jpg

Left bank valve cover on:

second_head_installed_005.jpg

second_head_installed_006.jpg

Right bank head installed:

second_head_installed_009.jpg

Right bank cams in and valve cover on:

second_head_installed_013.jpg

:)

second_head_installed_014.jpg

Mine currently have a cool rust droplet effect, right in front of the overflow tank... matches the same pattern on the battery. I'm not sure but Plasti-dip would probably hold to the cam covers better than ordinary paint.

Nice, sounds like she's dying for a good steam clean. I haven't tried plasti dip yet, I think I'll leave the covers black though.

Block water pipes installed:

Cambelt_water_pipes_on_003.jpg

Cam seals, cam tensioner bracket and rear cam covers on:

Cambelt_water_pipes_on_004.jpg

Cam belt installed:

Cambelt_water_pipes_on_006.jpg

Front cam covers on:

Cambelt_water_pipes_on_007.jpg

Cheers guys. The wrinkle red looks much better in person.

Yeah, dipstick aye. :) I thought the cam covers were going to have to come off again when I realised I'd missed it. Went in easy without back tracking though.

This is my original TT secondary turbo coolant return pipe, going into the head. I've bent it slightly because the up pipe was just touching it, it's also a too short and only 10mm pipe:

Turbo_coolant_oil_lines_001.jpg

The VF36 coolant return line is 12mm, this is a GDA 12mm coolant return line fitted, instead:

Turbo_coolant_oil_lines_001a.jpg

10mm TT secondary turbo coolant return, above the WRX 12mm, both use the same banjo bolt:

Turbo_coolant_oil_lines_002.jpg

The Turbo oil return line couldn't be any easier:

Turbo_coolant_oil_lines_00_A.jpg

I've reshaped my original VF27 secondary turbo oil feed line to fit the VF36. The VF36 is a roller bearing turbo so I've reused my original VF27 oil feed banjo bolts with 1mm restrictors:

Turbo_coolant_oil_lines_002a.jpg

Banjo bolt info:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?42557-Banjo-Bolt-Part-Numers

I also stole the GDA rubber turbo coolant return hose, with alloy flexi heat cover:

Turbo_coolant_oil_lines_005.jpg

Turbo lines sorted:

Turbo_coolant_oil_lines_007.jpg

ADIKT said:
Sooooo did you use a twin scroll dip stick? :confused:

Looking sooo good Ross

Thanks Man. :) Nope, I'm pretty sure the twin scroll dip stick is a few millimetres shorter. I was going to post in the dumb question thread asking someone to measure theirs, then just trim mine down and remark it.