Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Genome muffler woes

Just got myself a Genome muffler off a version 7. Was totally excited to install after all the rave reviews about it... gotta say I'm disappointed.

#1 fitment is shocking. I will have to get this muffler modified because it currently sits terribly on the car:

uXgs82Jl.jpg

eoHZsFJl.jpg

gicxjHil.jpg

One of the hangers doesn't even mate up:

UuvKnYZl.jpg

#2 the sound is very raspy. This is probably the most disappointing part because the sound of these is very hyped. Up top it roars like an open downpipe, but in the lower/mid range it has this gutless rasp sound to it. I have a video uploading to YouTube for proof but will have to use some better recording equipment to really capture it.

Whilst the issue of how the exhaust sits can be fixed rather easily, I am not sure that the sound can be. Any ideas from you guys?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to tell from the pic but have you got a Genome off a Legacy Wagon? they have a much longer tip, which would cause the horrible look yours has

If it isn't the Legacy wagon variant, someone must have messed with the hangers/pipe bends as it should bolt straight up to your car. I fitted a Genome axle back fro my old V7 wagon and fitment was perfect

As for sound, I guess that's a personal thing. Have you got anyone else nearby with a Genome that you can compare to? They do tend to sound a little raspier than your typical cannon exhaust, but I quite liked the sound of mine.

DacerX said:
mmmmmmm no more mr nice guy?

Well, I gave the guy a call and no answer, but he's probably at work. He wasn't able to meet until about 7pm last night for the sale, so I'll try later. Odd though, because his voicemail sounded like an Indian bloke, and he was definitely not Indian (or the whitest Indian I've seen lol).

Unfortunately, my tendency in these situations is to assume the worst (that I've been ganked) and churn over it...

DacerX said:
just take it to an exhaust shop had havent it shorten and the hangers changed with you old ones. done

Worst case scenario, I probably will. The main thing that is stopping me is that it has a horrible rasp down low.

I'm txting the guy atm and he keeps making the excuse that it came off his version 7. He is declining to accept muffler back and refund because "it was on an Impreza and that's where my action description came from".

The only problem is that exhaust shops = $$$ and this is working out to be a very expensive, raspy exhaust.

Edited by optmspotts

just show up to the dude's place and tell him to pay you back for selling you wrong things, really hate people who advertise the wrong thing and than dont want to accept an exchange...bummer about the exhaust though

• Admin
 optmspotts said:
The only problem is that exhaust shops = $$$ and this is working out to be a very expensive, raspy exhaust.

Plus most of them mig weld and it looks like a horse blew their nose on your exhaust.

Nice stainless exhaust like that = find someone who will tig it for you nicely.

4G63B8 said:
just show up to the dude's place and tell him to pay you back for selling you wrong things, really hate people who advertise the wrong thing and than dont want to accept an exchange...bummer about the exhaust though

Yeah, that's the problem... The seller asked to meet me at BP down the road and I thought nothing of it. So the only details I have are his TradeMe account, bank account number, and mobile number.

The fact yours is twin scroll and has a downpipe with the smaller diameter of the genome through the muffler you are always going to get that raspy sound. (could have told you that before you fitted it if id seen your posts) Single scroll its a different story.

Single scroll with wahtever + Genome = sounds great IMO

Twin scroll + Genome with stock TB = sounds awesome IMO

Twin scroll + Genome with any form of free flow setup = sounds like yours (yeah I agree average)

(Ether fill your mid section with louvered resos or change the catback completely..

(as for fitment yeah that forester orientation is horrible on an imprezza lol. Sell it as it stands to som1 with a foz then re think your plan would be my advice.. :)

UPDATE:

I phoned TradeMe on their freephone number (0800 334 332 for reference) and spoke to an employee. He, obviously, confirmed that if there is a misrepresentation (they can't take sides) then the onus is on the seller to come to a resolution. If the seller stonewalls me he will provide details so I can pursue this through Disputes Tribunal. Until then, he will contact the seller and remind him of his legal obligations and put pressure on him to communicate about this. The seller, I think, needs to understand that the fact that his advertisement was made mistakenly, and although that was in good faith, it is still a misrepresentation.

I will send the seller a last message now, allowing him two days to think about this and accept a refund or I will initiate civil proceedings.

I would put it up for sale myself, but finding a Forester owner will be hard I think, and I will probably make less than I spent in the first place.

EDIT: Seller confirms he will not consider refund. He's also determined to make this difficult for me, saying that he will not provide his details and I will have to get them through TradeMe. Sigh... right before exams too :(

Edited by optmspotts

• Admin

Did you purchase through buy now or bid on an auction? Either way it does sound like a misrepresentation has been made. Get details from trademe then furiously pursue him civilly, should be good for a laugh.