Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Failed WoF

Took my car to Winger this morning as it was due for a service/warrant, here's the story.

Got a call before to hear her start the call with 'are you sitting down?', I thought oh great here we go.

So it's failed on the following points:

Require replacing & Winger quotes to fix (incl. labour):

- Right front lower control arm bush ($167.00)

- Sway bar links ($106.00)

- Right front seat belt ($178.00) ?!?

- Front brake rotors ($407.00)

- Spotlight bulb ($15.00)

- 2 tyres (205/40/17) ($450.00)

Just wanted to query with you guys whether this is all reasonable or if I can get done elsewhere to save myself some $$$? The seatbelt surprised me the most, is that normal?

Also, am I able to get the rotors cheaper elsewhere? I'm going to have a hunt for some cheaper tyres too, that seems steep to me?

The starter motor has a sticky solenoid which is also causing an issue when starting, but I replaced the whole unit within the past 12 months, will this be covered under warranty?

I'm always a bit iffy with dealership servicing, not too sure if I should or not but meh. Any advice here from you guys would be sweet, not all that versed with what prices are reasonable for standard replacement parts such as these. The car isn't worth a whole lot and the quote for just over $2,700 to get it warranted simply isn't happening - The car's barely worth that.

Thanks in advance team!

Talk to AJ/subirex he will sort you out. Pick the sway bar links up from mountshop or partmaster or autostop along with the rotors and l/c/a bush. Seatbelt prob has a slight nick or loose thread which is a fail get one from pickapart. Tyres sort them yourself wherever suits. As for the bulb if its $15 fitted just grab it.

evowrx']Talk to AJ/subirex he will sort you out. Pick the sway bar links up from mountshop or partmaster or autostop along with the rotors and l/c/a bush. Seatbelt prob has a slight nick or loose thread which is a fail get one from pickapart. Tyres sort them yourself wherever suits. As for the bulb if its $15 fitted just grab it.

Good stuff, thanks man. I'll send him a PM and see what he can do for me. Once I've got all the necessary parts, where do you recommend I get them installed? Just take it all back to Winger? Yeah the seatbelt is just a bit sticky, I'll have a hunt around a wrecker for another one. Tyres and bulb I'm probably happy for Winger to do.

[quote name='ADIKT said:

Where did the $2700 come from???

**** me you can almost buy another car for that

The $2,700+ comes from all the fail items (incl rotors & tyres) plus recommendations which are front & rear brake pads ($464.50) and an aftermarket starter motor ($510), both fitted. Starter motor will be going back to where I got it replaced last year & I'll be querying whether the sticky solenoid is covered under warranty.

Wow. Adds up faster than it looks!

-

SHOP AROUND for you tires.....

I needed 1 new tire on rear left for my last WOF - went to local tire shop on Sat morning to see what he had (hoping for 2x GOOD second hand tires in same size/pattern or similar pattern) He didnt have any in same size

He did however have a full set of second had bridegstones (slightly bigger profile) whole set fitted and balanced for $220 (all tires have atleast 7mm tread)

If i were to get 2x NEW bridgestones to match the fronts then i would have been looking at $330ish fitted/balanced plus a day wait for delivery

-

And i would expect the start motor to have a much longer life than that - take it back and demand they sort it out for you

ADIKT said:
Wow. Adds up faster than it looks!

-

SHOP AROUND for you tires.....

I needed 1 new tire on rear left for my last WOF - went to local tire shop on Sat morning to see what he had (hoping for 2x GOOD second hand tires in same size/pattern or similar pattern) He didnt have any in same size

He did however have a full set of second had bridegstones (slightly bigger profile) whole set fitted and balanced for $220 (all tires have atleast 7mm tread)

If i were to get 2x NEW bridgestones to match the fronts then i would have been looking at $330ish fitted/balanced plus a day wait for delivery

-

And i would expect the start motor to have a much longer life than that - take it back and demand they sort it out for you

Haha I know right. Damn, that's awesome for your rubber - Hopefully I can find someone who has something similar lying around for me.

Yeah I'm not impressed tbh.. They should last far far longer than that. Especially when they gave me the option of a second hand or brand new and I went for the new part :/

There's a reason I don't go to that garage anymore. My water pump had a leak but when I took it in for them to diagnose, the team of probably half a dozen mechanics, one who even used to work for Subaru, all came to the conclusion that it was the bottom end. Still don't understand how they came to that conclusion.

Edited by Guest

Oh well. As evowrx said get in contact with subirex. If you get the parts which is the easy part he should be able to chuck all the bits in for you. Then all you need winger to do is bulb and wof recheck

Shop around

the tyres alone will save you a couple of hundred if you get quotes then go to Tonys Tyre Service, they gaurantee to beat any price in town by $10/tyre. They also have a massive drive to move Bridgestone products so go for it.

the bulbs go see Supercheap auto or Repco

get qoutes for the other work from other mechanics.

evowrx said:
Talk to AJ/subirex he will sort you out. Pick the sway bar links up from mountshop or partmaster or autostop along with the rotors and l/c/a bush. Seatbelt prob has a slight nick or loose thread which is a fail get one from pickapart. Tyres sort them yourself wherever suits. As for the bulb if its $15 fitted just grab it.

Cannot agree with this option.Unless you can be 100% sure that the replacement was not involved in an accident of any sort

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it.

ADIKT']Oh well. As evowrx said get in contact with subirex. If you get the parts which is the easy part he should be able to chuck all the bits in for you. Then all you need winger to do is bulb and wof recheck

Sounds good, will do.

Shop around

the tyres alone will save you a couple of hundred if you get quotes then go to Tonys Tyre Service, they gaurantee to beat any price in town by $10/tyre. They also have a massive drive to move Bridgestone products so go for it.

the bulbs go see Supercheap auto or Repco

get qoutes for the other work from other mechanics.

I'm thinking I'll get the parts I can through Mountshop - A mate of mine who used to own a car parts company recommends them. Definitely go down that path for the tyres also, cheers for that.

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

Cannot agree with this option.Unless you can be 100% sure that the replacement was not involved in an accident of any sort

Fair call. Might give Strongs a call and see what they've got for me.

DRFVDR said:

Is it really that much of a biggie? I mean cars have crashes all the time and they dont have to fit new belts all round as a safety precaution. Seen them used for towing cars and lifting out engines and dont seem to stretch or break at all.

evowrx said:
Is it really that much of a biggie? I mean cars have crashes all the time and they dont have to fit new belts all round as a safety precaution. Seen them used for towing cars and lifting out engines and dont seem to stretch or break at all.

Well not really, BUT any extra force on a seatbelt can weaken it( maybe not the webbing but the autolocking parts and well as the brackets) so although the belt may "look" safe and work as prescribed to a point I would not risk my or my passengers life on a seatbelt that may or maynot fail in an incident

pedro said:
But but.....They don't have seat belts in buses....Or do they ?

Yup they do, but of course no one wears them :)

I can tell a story of a bus vs car, one of our buses about 15 years ago was involved in a head on with a car,(car was at fault passing on a blind corner) bus load of 45 Cadets ( NZ Army had leased the bus) VS car of 3 people, All people in car were seatbelted in ALL died instantly( car ended up about where the front axle is) the Bus passengers all escaped with minor bruising and grazes.We brought the bus back from the insurance company as they wrote it off, it took me $60k and 6 months working on it in my spare time to get it back but 15 years later the bus is still going and has covered another 300,000 km without an issue, Would seatbelts in the bus have helped Maybe, if the people were wearing them which sadly bus passengers dont usually do.

Picture+014.jpg

the blue piece is the bonnet of the car,

Edited by DRFVDR

DRFVDR said:
Yup they do, but of course no one wears them :)

I can tell a story of a bus vs car, one of our buses about 15 years ago was involved in a head on with a car,(car was at fault passing on a blind corner) bus load of 45 Cadets ( NZ Army had leased the bus) VS car of 3 people, All people in car were seatbelted in ALL died instantly( car ended up about where the front axle is) the Bus passengers all escaped with minor bruising and grazes.We brought the bus back from the insurance company as they wrote it off, it took me $60k and 6 months working on it in my spare time to get it back but 15 years later the bus is still going and has covered another 300,000 km without an issue, Would seatbelts in the bus have helped Maybe, if the people were wearing them which sadly bus passengers dont usually do.

Picture+014.jpg

the blue piece is the bonnet of the car,

I remember that circa 1999 (was doing training out Moawhanga dam way).

evowrx said:

sorry guys cant help on this one. i work for wingers and i cant really take in registered winger customer for cash jobs. on the other hand i was the one who did the service and wof on this particular vehicle. but if you do need help, bring me the parts and ill fit it for free ( just to help ya out ).

subirex said:
sorry guys cant help on this one. i work for wingers and i cant really take in registered winger customer for cash jobs. on the other hand i was the one who did the service and wof on this particular vehicle. but if you do need help, bring me the parts and ill fit it for free ( just to help ya out ).

You're a legend. I'll flick you a PM now.

evowrx said:

Autostop or partmaster.

• 3 weeks later...