Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Motosport insurance?

• General Member

or get something you can afford to crash and drive the nuts off it

edit : mine lasted me 10 years before I rolled it in a paddock, second one has existed since 2007 (White Rally car)

Edited by Joker

I've heared you can get it For specific events only but I don't know any of the guys in the car club who have it, and this is 50 + people. Be careful if you do events I have seen 5 cars written off which were daily drivers and this was on hillclimbs they obviously tried to keep it on the road but sometimes adrenalin gets the best of you.

Pretty sure no insurance company will cover it along with standard insurance.

Yes people do crash cars they want to drive home... myself and Al did this recently... but in my experience it's pretty rare.

It's usually the trailer queens that only have one objective (to go as fast as possible) that crash.

If youre going to participate in an event and drive like you do on the road why bother doing an event at all? Isnt the idea to push yourself/car etc I dont see why I would want to pay a fee to go for a pleasant sunday drive. Was just a simple insurance q asking if people here had exp with it not so much a "will I crash?"

and yes I spelt motorsport wrong before the spelling nazis string me up.

Buying a pos is the other option but not one I would want to pursue.

On a closed road you will be going a lot faster than a Sunday drive.

The idea is to drive hard but within your abilities. You will know when you are pushing your luck and need to pull back a little.

The more confident you get, the harder you can push. Clubsport is all about FUN... there's no prize for winning, so there's no point

in being reckless.

Edited by loner

I bought a cheap E30 325i and use it for sprints, as I can't afford to run the rally car all the time at events. It has now ended up as my daily too.

I typically do events 2 times a month in it, from autocrosses, sprints, hillclimbs; I even did a round of the Winter Race Series at Manfield in it. Good cheaper alternative and still really good fun. It owes me a bit, but if I wrote it off it's not a biggy compared to destroying my GC8 rally car (not that I haven't already bent the GC8 a bit anyway!).

Slow/cheaper cars are better anyway, teaches you much more about pushing the limits of yourself and traction compared to a fast car. I also love beating the odd quicker car in it! I would highly recommend this path if you want to learn about how to drive faster, vs just getting to drive at higher than normal road speeds.

Yes you can get it, but only from specific companies. I had insurance on the old prova legacy years ago, but from a company that only insures doctors and lawyers.

The insurance covered anything motorsport racing against the clock rather than other cars. Excess was $5k. I just got it for track days as it didnt cost anything extra to normal road insurance at the time.

Yeah when I worked for IAG only NAC has the option to cover some form of insurance for racing but it was via a broker in the lower north island and it was called Hot Rod Cover. I don't know what they cover now though but can find out as I still have some contacts in there.

When we get our house at the end of the year I'm getting me another wrx for a track/rally car pure trailer queen (reg on hold but will have a wof)