Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

[Insurance] Youi Insurance

nickch

Hey guys!

These guys seem to be getting a lot of exposure on the radio etc.

I thought I'd have a nosey and give them a call for a quote.

It was pretty much a hard sell, so make sure you do not commit to anything yet.

My quote ended up being just under $30 cheaper per month. which is a savings of about $320 per year.. (not too much).

They've been in OZ for quite a while now and reviews from across the ditch are largely negative.

Does anyone have any experiences, thoughts, tips, insider advice?

I'm currently with AA, and am curious to see what the differences in policies are.

• 4 months later...

They're a South African based company, been in Aussie since about 2008, been in NZL since about July 2014...

Got a quote from them last night. Nice friendly salesmen, no waiting on the lines or anything.

They quoted me over $1,600 for the 1998 STI Coupe with the mods. NAC quoted me $1,200 for the same car, same mods, insured at the same Market Value (with similar excesses).

They matched State's price on the Outback ($550 full cover).

The windscreen excess with Youi is $800, it's $150 with NAC, free with State. You can get a new windscreen supplied and fitted for $280 at most places!

I think I'll stick with IAG, as I've never had any issues in the past with them (2000-2014).

They don't do house/contents insurance for me in Upper Hutt yet, but he said ring back in about 6 months - when I said I'm with Lumley at $50/fortnight (total cover), he said that was cheap! So I doubt he was going to match the NZDF plan.

Edited by spark_38

Got my insurance for the v11 for 1200 a year. Nac didnt want to know because i didnt have a "5 star alarm", the factory system is better than that...

Club auto quoted 1850, state 2k, aa 1450, youi 1200 with a $500 excess.

Also got my bike through them, only 3rd party but $35 a month

Yep by "5 star" alarm, they're referring to rubbish like a AVS S5 or Dynatron D7800. The factory Subaru Immobiliser is probably Thatcham Cat 2 equivalent (or higher), which leaves those aforementioned for dust.

I'm looking at ripping out my cheap alarm and getting either a Autowatch 446RLi or Cobra AK4138, with GPS tracking. That would be the minimum requirements before I even consider taking the car to Aucks.

I'm 31 the insurance on my 99 wrx is $1200pa with tower. It's been bumped up to that price because I carry a few convictions. That's full insurance though, cars alarmed, garaged and....no mods..... I just got a brand new windscreen the other day, didn't cost me a dime.

spark_38 said:
Yep by "5 star" alarm, they're referring to rubbish like a AVS S5 or Dynatron D7800. The factory Subaru Immobiliser is probably Thatcham Cat 2 equivalent (or higher), which leaves those aforementioned for dust.

I'm looking at ripping out my cheap alarm and getting either a Autowatch 446RLi or Cobra AK4138, with GPS tracking. That would be the minimum requirements before I even consider taking the car to Aucks.

I run the 446RLi its pretty cool does the trick but if your gonna get a new one and your coming to Auckland stop in Hamilton to get the Cobra alarm from Mattapo on here he might knock off some dosh on it

johnny5 said:
I run the 446RLi its pretty cool does the trick but if your gonna get a new one and your coming to Auckland stop in Hamilton to get the Cobra alarm from Mattapo on here he might knock off some dosh on it

I was finally going to give Julian at Obsessive a ring - I've been following his blog for a several years now. He is one of the country's top installers, and gets customers from North & South Island.

I'm a Manager for Youi and have worked for them since inception in NZ.

We are a low to medium risk insurer, therefore the likes of us with our Turbo Scoobies are unfortunately immediately on the backfoot, including myself haha.

I won't speak any more on a public forum, but if you have any questions about the company or our products or want to grab a quote, feel free to send me a PM.