Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car buying advice wanted....

Hey guys,

So I'm looking at upgrading from my BH5 E-Tune Legacy and I am after some buying advice...

I would ideally like a version 7/8 STi, low Kms, preferably 130000 or less.

I do like space the wagon gives me though so looking into an STi Forester as another option, what differences in engine and gearbox will I find between the wrx and forester? Apart from the 2.5l size.

Also looking at a newer version Legacy wagon but want to go for a single turbo and 6 speed box. Are the 6 speed boxes in the legacies the same as the STi?

I have a budget of around $15k but would be prepared to top it up a couple of grand if a crazy good deal came up.

Otherwise $10k + this as a part trade with cash...

10443649_791807794197202_498277699895360

1902026_715530065158309_1503366627_n_zps

10520098_791806224197359_723133251535541

Firstly, am I bring realistic? Secondly, pile on the advice and recommendations.

Cheers!!

Yeah I was looking at that. I just like the idea of low Kms because I want something that will last me years without spending big money on it. Basically don't want something that will run. A bearing within a few Kms of me owning it. I know any car could do that but the lower the Kms the less wear on the engine overall.

• Admin

The legacy 'boxes' are the same but what's inside isn't. Different ratios, no dccd but seem to keep the strength of the sti ones.

You would probably struggle to find a 6 speed legacy that low though unless it had huge k's as they only went 6 speed from 2006 onwards and had to be the spec.b model. 17-18k will get you a nice one though.

Definitely worth considering!

@Marky - Is their a big difference between the STi forester and WRX STi though? Obviously there is with the Legacys so if I got that way I'm prepared to deal with that.

@evowrx - I know right!! Too bad my budget is basically half of that car, it's super tidy. A lady next door to me has one as well so every morning I get them jealous feels.

Depends what you really want

No point buying the forester if you're going to just do it up to be a wrx wannabe, and ditto for no point buying the wrx if you're just going to flick it due to not enough interior space.

Make up your mind about what you want before getting your heart set on something, you might end up narrowing it down to 2 or 3 WRX's, then a month later drive one of them sti foresters and go "goddamnit" (or whatever expletive fits your vocab). Just a shame they look like a truck

For what it's worth the legacy or forester has probably had an easier life, and are pretty cheap...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-788094655.htm

Maybe a loaded question but are you 100% set on it has to be a subaru?

I'm definitely set on it being a Subaru, not too keen on much else really. I like the way the 6 speed boxes perform and just the way the cars feel to drive. Regardless with what I get I will be happy with my purchase, I wouldn't spend the money on something I wasn't happy with.

I have been in both the wrx And forester STi models and really enjoyed both so I was more after details on the running gear - whether they are the same or really quite different. Currently I want to drop version 7 STi gear into my Bh5 and that would satisfy me, but a bit more money will get me something newer, with the brembo brakes and a few other extras associated with the STi modelled cars, suspension setup etc.

Just to add to the confusion and I will keep on at it Why not the 6 cylinder, more torque down low, can get a wagon, ( not sure if the wagons have the 6 speed in them) way more reliable in the long run than the turbo 4's

Just saying