Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Odie - ClubSub is back online - What happened

kamineko

(post by Odie from my cache 16/2/09) -and there will be more to this story now i imagine :-\

As everyone is aware during last year we renewed our webhosting with Graeff Group, and a new site was developed along with new look forums. Timeframes kept extending on the delivery of basic functionality, let alone the harder stuff... Once the club committee started applying pressure to get things done and finished, communication became less and less.

A decission was made to look for a new hosting company and out of dozens that had offered we selected one, this is around the time when the club was completly unable to contact Graeff Group for anything, communication became one sided, when the site went offline text messages and emails would be sent and then the site would come back up.

During December the site had a extended outage on the website, Graeff Group had now disappeared completely, I managed to get hold of other Graeff Group customers and they all had suffered the same fate. One customer based in the USA had managed to trace the hosting facility and contacted them and thru some US legal request managed to force the hosting company to turn the server back on, which returned our site to a functioning site, alas that was to be short lived as the hosting company only had to enable the server for a period of 30 days.

During this time we tried to get access to the forum files and backups however the company VPSLAND.com would not allow access.

Over the last few weeks we have managed to regain control of the domain name, MX records for email. This had to be done through a number of legal documents and processes, it was long winded but we now have full control over everything again and even better we are back on a NZ server.

I would like to take this time to thank everyone for your patience while this mess was sorted out and a very special thank you to ZYLEX Webhosting for helping the club work through this long winded process and setting up such a great new web space.

Cheers

Odie

ReubenH said:

So is there any chance you will be able to get the old forum back? Or is that that, we start a fresh?

correct - going in position is that we wont have any old database material.

In the off chance that i get pull apart the old database it will be dicussed and material pulled across as best we can. No promises though.

BLazeD said:

Having your domain at the same company as your host is always a bad idea. So is not having regular backups

yeah just for the record the backups existed, but we did not have access. i'm sure this is mentioned somewhere..

nevermind its all past now and we are moving forward