Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Advice on Tyres

• Admin

Hey all,

So in the next few months I'll need to start looking at tires... yay...

Now after having RE-01R's on my old car and then (once they ran out of life) going to the MY-02's I felt rather underwhelmed by the lack of grip and stability of the car :(

Now that I've got my STi Type Ra, even with bad tires the grip is still SOOOOO much better, I'm looking to improve once again with a good set of tires.

I've been looking at Westlakes, Nitto, Bridgestone etc but I'm not sure what to go for that was like the RE-01R. Anyone have suggestions as to what tires are good etc. I'm looking for a tire with ALOT of grip, as it will be taken to the track, but with good ride comfort-ability not to bothered about road noise tbh.

• Admin
 Joker said:
oh nice another tire thread, we need more of these /sarcasm

well ok maybe we do need a 2014 summer version as tire flavours do change like the seasons too!

Kingstars

I'm aware this has been done before, but there's been a fair few new tires and companies coming through, and with us coming into summer now it's a good time to get a good set of tires.

• Admin

Bridgestone are getting behind the times a bit IMO, and the pricing isn't super sharp any more unless you get a hella special. Personally I thought the RE070 drove like a bag of **** unless you were thrashing them - noisy, tramlined like a bastard.

Toyo T1 Sport drives nicely on my V7

Also Nittos are worth a look and there's Clubsubs bargain favourite, the Kumho Zetum ZU37

• 1 month later...

Dairusire;

I had RE01R too (a tyre no current road BS can match).

In road tyres the only realistic (affordable) choice is the Nitto NT05.

Superb in the dry and not as bad as you think in the wet.

Good value too, last time I looked they were less than the over-rate RE002

Musichaos said:
Looking for advice on tyres 225 40 18 on a bp5. I liked gsd3s and wouldnt mind picking up some more at a good price.

Zetum ZU37. The ChCh guys spotted these. I just switched our BP5 GTB (225/40/18) after competing on them in numerous street sprints and autocrosses this year, wet and dry, in the coupe. I fail to see a better value tyre on the market currently. That said, you can certainly spend up to three times as much (RE050A etc) and get perhaps a scientifically measurable improvement in grip under certain conditions along with terrible tread wear.

GC8E2DD said:
Zetum ZU37. The ChCh guys spotted these. I just switched our BP5 GTB (225/40/18) after competing on them in numerous street sprints and autocrosses this year, wet and dry, in the coupe. I fail to see a better value tyre on the market currently. That said, you can certainly spend up to three times as much (RE050A etc) and get perhaps a scientifically measurable improvement in grip under certain conditions along with terrible tread wear.

I agree completely with this. Got most people I know down here running them now.