Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GDB FMIC advice

johnny5

http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/products/intercoolers/front-mount-intercooler-kits/subaru/subaru-wrx-and-sti-gdb-intercooler-kit/

Has anybody used this kit seems to come with a new support beam and a new overflow bottle.

I'd like to know about fitment issues if you had any, also how much you needed to cut the front bumper up.

Any advice is appreciated

http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/products/intercoolers/front-mount-intercooler-kits/subaru/hks-type-s-intercooler-kit-subaru-sti-2000-on/

I was also looking at springing a bit more for this but the piping runs under the car much like the HDi kit for bugeyes

• Admin

Boils down to target power level a bit.

I think kris_pran is using the one with the bracket and stuff. I'm told they're so-so but good for about 300wkw.

You also have to ditch the foglights. The bumper beam will get laughed at by a certifier/WoF guy... if they see it.

The HKS, I'm pretty sure you still have to hack the bumper beam and lose your foglights. And considering HKS says it's only good for 450hp...

The new Mishimoto kit looks good and isn't too expensive.

Also you can buy the Perrin intercooler as just a core + crash beam.

I test fitted my AVO intercooler the other night and it's not going on there without cutting up the bumper beam so I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do there just yet.

boon said:
Boils down to target power level a bit.

I think kris_pran is using the one with the bracket and stuff. I'm told they're so-so but good for about 300wkw.

You also have to ditch the foglights. The bumper beam will get laughed at by a certifier/WoF guy... if they see it.

The HKS, I'm pretty sure you still have to hack the bumper beam and lose your foglights. And considering HKS says it's only good for 450hp...

The new Mishimoto kit looks good and isn't too expensive.

Also you can buy the Perrin intercooler as just a core + crash beam.

I test fitted my AVO intercooler the other night and it's not going on there without cutting up the bumper beam so I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do there just yet.

I wont be breaking the 300kw mark so all good there no fog lights to so all good there.

I giggled at the beam also it looks like its made from plastic but it might make it look better to my wof guy, I definitely will not cut the front beam as I dont wanna have to cert the car.

So taking it off and putting it back on when I find a core small enough to fit in the space provided would be great.

I would love the perrin setup but that requires perrin money and I'm a cheap Kieeent.

So has anyone got a wof with this setup installed??

kris_pran said:
Mine seems handle 300+kw well... however i did mention my fabricator was saying its an average core. I'll be upgrading it for a better quality one down the track.

Is that because it actually has high pressure drop and is **** at shedding heat or just looking at it going oh thats average.

while we are on this topic, i have been told(tuner)and read on a forum too, the two following is examples of bad and good intercooler.

Good

ets20inside_zps475e9a47.jpg

Bad

intercooler005_zps132e3095.jpg

there might be a thread about intercoolers,cbf looking them up. Opinions will be nice from other members( don't shoot me i am a newbie :P)

evowrx said:
Is that because it actually has high pressure drop and is **** at shedding heat or just looking at it going oh thats average.

I'd be interested to know his thoughts as well I'm gonna update the core at some stage to something that will work with the front impact beam

What drew me to this set up was the piping and the way its routed it seems like most Bugeye kits run the piping down the back of the motor and under the car. The way this piping runs will make it easier when I rotate the compressor housing and if I ever decide to flip the manifold

evowrx said:

Is it just me or are you trying hard to imitate funkytown's shyt **** attitude.

There no way i can measure the pressure drop because i dont have an iat pre-i/c. The fact that my setup is performing quite well given the turbo's limits has lead me to the conclusion that the cheap core does indeed do its job.

kris_pran said:
Is it just me or are you trying hard to imitate funkytown's shyt **** attitude.

There no way i can measure the pressure drop because i dont have an iat pre-i/c. The fact that my setup is performing quite well given the turbo's limits has lead me to the conclusion that the cheap core does indeed do its job.

Everyones all about parts not doing the job but never actually have evidence and what appears to be a intercooler or whatever issue turns out to be other issues and thats why I like fact not fiction the internets full of bull****. Don't need a IAT pre/post just weld in a couple of 6mm ports and buy a cheap map sensor hell Ill let you borrow my spare 3 bar. Yet to see egbp results for a GT30 anything people don't do these sort of tests because A) Its worked on other applications, B) Theyre too ignorant or C) Theyre bliddy lazy.

These arguments seem to go on forever, IMO if you stick with quality parts then there is no issues..Was a few articles around on cheaper vs quality FMIC, and some differences were found however unless you doing a 300kw+ monster/track setup then those minor difference are minimal. I have cheap FMIC trademe setup on my track car gc8 from years ago and that did 245kw atw no probs(never had an issue with the FMIC in 9 years also), build quality isn't nearly as good as my current greddy FMIC on the daily GDB but hey still did the trick nicely.

kris_pran said:
Fabricator said it was average due to fin design and arrangement, tuner had nothing to say about it.

Ive had experience with both tube & fin style and bar plate, the tf style is supposedly better at cooling.

Oh chur I stand corrected fabricator not tuner

WRXER said:
These arguments seem to go on forever, IMO if you stick with quality parts then there is no issues..Was a few articles around on cheaper vs quality FMIC, and some differences were found however unless you doing a 300kw+ monster/track setup then those minor difference are minimal. I have cheap FMIC trademe setup on my track car gc8 from years ago and that did 245kw atw no probs(never had an issue with the FMIC in 9 years also), build quality isn't nearly as good as my current greddy FMIC on the daily GDB but hey still did the trick nicely.

If the fmic is costing you 3 psi and 5deg it will have a large effect on power. Quality does not equal brand name/expensive. Mate recently had a jap branded cooler tomei? or similar that was costing 30wkw- back to back. I havent tested mine yet but i will be.

evowrx said:
Everyones all about parts not doing the job but never actually have evidence and what appears to be a intercooler or whatever issue turns out to be other issues and thats why I like fact not fiction the internets full of bull****. Don't need a IAT pre/post just weld in a couple of 6mm ports and buy a cheap map sensor hell Ill let you borrow my spare 3 bar. Yet to see egbp results for a GT30 anything people don't do these sort of tests because A) Its worked on other applications, B) Theyre too ignorant or C) Theyre bliddy lazy.

wluhhi.jpg

If you think it doesn't work as good as the manufacturer claims then why dont you conduct some testing on it and let us know because it sure seems like you have the time on your hands to do these things. I highly doubt someone else on the forum who has a full time job and doing university study is going to waste there time doing these ''tests'' on something <<< then $450-500 to prove a point.

kris_pran said:
wluhhi.jpg

If you think it doesn't work as good as the manufacturer claims then why dont you conduct some testing on it and let us know because it sure seems like you have the time on your hands to do these things. I highly doubt someone else on the forum who has a full time job and doing university study is going to waste there time doing these ''tests'' on something <<< then $450-500 to prove a point.

Lol fck uni try having kids along with doing long hours and trying to find the time let alone the money. It doesnt cost **** all you need to do is weld in a couple of ports and ive offered you a map sensor to use for free. A boost gauge would do the same job. Everyone in subaru land has their head stuck ib the ground thats why heaps of people dont make the power they should. Instead of identifying the simple issue they blame the turbo and throw another 2k at the car for 10wkw. If it works then everyone bases their setup on it and wonders why it doesnt come close. Thats the diff between a great and a good build. Gl finding a fmic fs anywhere that gives you decent spec lol.

Im struggling with your point tho it seems you dont like me asking if you had any fact at all to back up your claim lol. I could say my fmic is awesome as my iat is wickedly low but chances are its my comp being big/efficent. Im 99% its the latter but i dont know so i wont make that claim.

2u8v0nl.jpg

Not sure what ''claim'' have i exactly made apart from boldly stating that the intercooler ''seems'' to be working. The i/c i have works in my setup and if you think otherwise then thats your problem, im not going out of my way to provide evidence to backup my judgement because i simply cannot be ****ed. If i had been running into temp issues then im pretty sure my tuner would've pointed that out.

I don't think this unit i currently have is going to be sufficient if i push for more power hence why i also mentioned ill be upgrading it to a better quality one like the ets core.

Edited by kris_pran

kris_pran said:
Mine seems handle 300+kw well... however i did mention my fabricator was saying its an average core. I'll be upgrading it for a better quality one down the track.

I asked why it was said to be average and was met with everything but a simple answer. All I was after was if its handling 300+kw well why is it average? Genuine q. It might do a better job than what you want to upgrade too.

By all means beat around the bush and say things about personal lives and compare me to other members after all this is the internet. Still no real answer but allgood I don't think we'll see any factual data here. If my IAT stay as good as they are I prob won't test either and ba able to say handles XXXkw well but I won't be saying its average or this or that without actually being able to back it up lol.

Oh my godddd.

I didn't say it was average, the fabricator did. The reason? Go through my previous posts.

Why i want to upgrade it to a better quality one? Because i use price as an indication of a product's quality, high price = better quality ala prestige pricing. I know this might not always be the case but the ETS core is what ill be upgrading too, why? because i can.

Nvm I get it rather than throw $30 at your current setup to see how its coping you will just upgrade. Hell they aren't cheap but your money like you say. Im curious to see how the whole thing goes as its already pushing damn good numbers for a 3071 if it's 300wkw+. Guessing you've finished the tune up now?