Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GDB FMIC advice

johnny5

Yea I thought it was a legit question specifically why the fabricator thought it was average, was it the design, build quality, small tubes , **** fin design as it seems to work well in your application unless you plan on smashing out 400kw later on is that why your upgrading Kris

kris_pran said:
Fabricator said it was average due to fin design and arrangement, tuner had nothing to say about it.

Ive had experience with both tube & fin style and bar plate, the tf style is supposedly better at cooling.

Thats why he said it was average bro i was just interested as to the effect it had or he thought it would have. I always thought bar and plate were the better core but im here to learn.

I agree to ,from research I have read bar and plate design was more efficient and tube and fin had the advantage weight wise but I to am learning as well thats why its goid to ask such questions.....

But enough of this I feel a disturbance in the force we should stop bickering now before supacooler steps in and ends us all

• 2 months later...

Using a phone so bit of a mess around todo that.

I will give you the numbers my car gets as my dash tells me as I'm driving it.

Redline intercooler flipped etc have no idea what the internal core type is. with gt30, no cold air feed the car iat doesn't go above 43 degrees when boosting it with 330 kW tune, at constant 100 km car temp is 38 degrees this is going on the temps in the last few days.

I have now made a cold air feed basically butchered a headlight to feed air directly into the induction, temps are now 38-40 degrees when boosting it and around 33 when driving at constant 100km. I don't know what the temp is before the cooler only after. These numbers were from the last week so ambient in the 20's. Lately though first start up of car iat is anything from 22-30 degrees.

I think the hybrid andy.f is referring to is the HDI stuff not entirely sure on that but seems that way. They're just a Chinese special anyway at the end of the day made by D2power/HDI. Remember stoffa had a comment on them when he ran one.

ballsrburning said:
Using a phone so bit of a mess around todo that.

I will give you the numbers my car gets as my dash tells me as I'm driving it.

Redline intercooler flipped etc have no idea what the internal core type is. with gt30, no cold air feed the car iat doesn't go above 43 degrees when boosting it with 330 kW tune, at constant 100 km car temp is 38 degrees this is going on the temps in the last few days.

I have now made a cold air feed basically butchered a headlight to feed air directly into the induction, temps are now 38-40 degrees when boosting it and around 33 when driving at constant 100km. I don't know what the temp is before the cooler only after. These numbers were from the last week so ambient in the 20's. Lately though first start up of car iat is anything from 22-30 degrees.

them numbers seem good to me sweet as

evowrx said:
I wonder if the heat tape is raising temps.

My car at cruise sits around 20ish mostly below. When it was being punished with the little vf22 it never went above 30.

Looking forward to getting some numbers with the new setup.

The gold Heat reflection tape isn't raising temps. I know that my numbers align with other modified cars, running a gt30 or equivalent turbo set up, in fact they have a lot more cooling going on than I do.

Clint when did you get those numbers? Time of day and ambient temp was what? how are you measuring it?

I since found that the car basically runs 5 degrees above ambient temps when cruising and will go higher when boosting, with cold air feed. The other night it ran around 25 degrees but this is due to being late at night and ambient temp would be down around low 20's.

Tonys would be the car to compare to but thats full blown race temps not casual road temps. Im running the older gm sensor wired into g4 with link calibration. Various times and logs but with vf22@22psi reaming thro the gears on gcp 227wkw tune it never went over 30. Ill get some more info when cars up to spec. Turbo will be in the sweet spot so should be right on par.

Tony was one of my comparisons, I know that my car is not far off what he is running and that was with no cold air feed.

I think a car with 330 kw will produce more heat then one with 230 kw and your new set up will probably show higher temps, have you logged oil temps out of interest?

Pass on the comparison ive never had anything to do with a 300wkw- ej firsthand only what ive been told firsthand. Always a reason for excessive heat but like i said idk what excessive is for said setup. Tried to explain that to a lad running 32psi thro a td04 on a 2 litre diesel corolla where the intake was to hot to touch. His answer was slapping a massive fmic 100mm thick on it and fixing the issue. Still way out of efficency.

Part of the idea of the bigger turbo is to keep temps down i wish more people would log and test these sorts of things.