Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Mazda Atenza's

subypower

• General Member

I got my Mrs. the 2.3l Axela hatch recently. Its a 2004 Auto and it drives very nice, lots of power for a grocery getter and goes well town to town also. The fuel economy is a little average, apparently the 2005 or 2006 auto onwards got an extra gear that makes all the difference to fuel economy town to town.

From a mechanics POV they are pretty good, Engines can use a bit of oil. Bottom ball joints and wheel bearings are things to look out for. But on the whole they are pretty dam good reliability wise, have a friend running one at 336ks and still going strong.

There's a reason they are so popular. Compared to the majority of cars in the same class I rate them.

We've got an axela as well - only advice I can give is if you're getting one, get one of the high spec models (with the 2.3 and factory 17s etc) - the povo spec 2l ones are a bit sad. We drove a few 6's and 3's and went with a 3 SP23 sedan just cause its a bit more unusual and a touch smaller / more nimble.

Also I think the NZ new ones sorta get downspec in some cases - black dash not light up etc - BUT the high end ones make up for it with leather etc. What's your budget and reason for purchase? The MPS model is a mean piece of kit

• General Member

I agree with the upspec model being the go, our 2.3l is a lot peppier than the 2l I test drove especially about town. Also agree about the MPS, just expect to eat tyres lol.

If you shop about you can get a good deal on them now as well. Ours is 130,000 k odd from memory with a couple bumper scrapes and I paid 8.5k when it was listed for 11k.

i had the wagon 2004 2.3l one, definitely alot better on gas than the subaru and was great car to drive, had done 240k when we sold her and still drove like new, saw it the other day and still going strong...definitely a good car and thinking of investing in a new shape one now for the wifey.

My Brother got one a few years ago, a week later my old man bought one as well, both 2.3L models but my Bro's being a prefacelift.

I'd agree with everyone else here, nice cars, I'd recommend the facelift model with the piano black interior which makes the cabin a really nice place to be in.

Sadly I am going to have to sell the STi :(

I am driving a lot of KM's and require a car that is more suited to longer trips.

Have heard good things about the Atenzas, so on the whole they're quite good on gas?

I believe it was from 2006 onwards that they became 5 speed autos instead of 4 speed?

They drive quite well, dodge the 2tlr models, they can have issues with timing chain wear, and the sprokets for the cams can slip on the taper leaving the engine out of time. They share abit in common with the ford mongayo, which isnt a good thing. As mentioned above, front arm lower ball joints, wheel bearings, and the lower steering column shaft are common to wear.