Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Boring fuel economy queries.

Nick89

I was having a chat to a mate about a 2006 model legacy he bought for his girlfriend (pregnant, safer car etc). Its a 2 litre auto non turbo thing. He puts not quite $100 in it, and it gets him / her just under 700 km's. Now I have the same sorta deal in my 1998 impreza. 2 litre auto, non turbo. Mines a single cam engine, and i'd imagine a bit outdated in comparison to the newer ej20, but I'm only getting 450 km's out of a slightly smaller $90 fill up! We both do a similar sort of mileage, 70% motorway / 30% town, and we're both easy on the loud pedal. It makes we wonder if there's something crook with my motor? I keep my foot out of it, practice stingey driving habits, and keep my tires pumped. I can't help but think 450 kms's to a tank is a bit rubbish! I had a read through some other fuel economy related rants on the forum, and it sounds like even the turbo motors are getting around the 4-500km mark on a tank.....:confused:

the older autos are not ideal . and the new computers are far better than old ones .

u should check the basics like filters etc . look into de catting the exhuast because they are useless after 80k .

also the 02 sensor will have a big effect . you can check this with a multi meter if you are crafty . a decent sensor is expensive so its prolly worth confirming it first .

Ahh so my fuel use probably isn't too far out of the ordinary? My air filter looks fairly clean, plugs are a nice caramel colour too...I'll look into de-catting it, and I'll get my multi-meter onto the 02 sensor. Cheers for the feedback.

• Admin

I get right on 500kms from a tank, highway driving, V7 STI with extra bits and pieces ;)

Fuel economy went like this...

Bog standard < VF34 + Link < Big freakin turbo. Weird huh? My theory is that with a big turbo you have to be quite deliberate to get on boost, with a spooly setup you're on it all the time. And the stock tune is rich rich rich.

evowrx said:
With a stock forester v5/6 engine with td04 and v5 same deal 500-600 to a full tank regardless how much of a hiding i gave it.

I get around 500-600 out of my STi whereas my legacy is pushing 450.- and legacy is v5/6 sti setup. Think the weight of the cars makes a fair difference too.

though my O2 on the legacy is in the headers as opposed to downpipe.-placement could be hazardous.

Here is a list of my recent fuel consumption on Mobil 8000 from the same station:

V2 WRX which is waaay too rich .. (much petrol smell when I get out of the car wow)

Edit: L/100kms

Edited by hang009

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the year of vehicles you are comparing. 06 vs 98. I would expect the 06 would use less fuel per 100km due to improvements and advancements in engine management etc.

Secondly it does depend on the type of driving and length of the runs you do. I live in a small town where you can drive across town and the motor barely has a chance to get up to temperature.

My wife has a little Toyota corolla and the book says we should average 7.4L/100km. With the short running around town we average around 9.0L/100km. Likewise when we drive from the West Coast to Christchurch the road is very twisty and up and down but we average 7.1L/100km. If I was driving along the Canterbury plains I would expect to see a much lower usage than that.

As you can see there are so many different factors that come into how much fuel your car uses. 450-500km out of a tank of fuel in an older imprezza sounds about right to me.