Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BH5 upgrades

lunacy

OK so hose 12 that my boost gauge is teed into goes directly into the inlet behind the alternator. Would have thought that would have been a good boost pressure source?

Looked at the BOV hose and it is a much bigger hose although it's connected to hose 10 which goes to the primary boost solenoid. Is that where I should be teeing into for my gauge?

Cheers

The other end of hose 12 has a one way valve inside the BBOD, also connects to the vacuum storage tank, ECV negative solenoid and secondary relief valve solenoid. So the boost gauge wont give accurate levels.

To hook the boost gauge into the BOV line, look into Marky's hose 10 modhttp://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?34317-The-Hose-10-Mod-BE-BH. Then you'll have a straight hose from manifold to BOV to T into for the gauge.

Rosssub said:
The other end of hose 12 has a one way valve inside the BBOD, also connects to the vacuum storage tank, ECV negative solenoid and secondary relief valve solenoid. So the boost gauge wont give accurate levels.

To hook the boost gauge into the BOV line, look into Marky's hose 10 modhttp://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?34317-The-Hose-10-Mod-BE-BH. Then you'll have a straight hose from manifold to BOV to T into for the gauge.

Excellent thanks for that, appreciate the quick responses! Amazing how much I've learnt about this car in the last couple of weeks!

Right. Did the hose 10 mod today and hooked up my boost gauge into the BOV vacuum line. Car definitely feels alot better own throughout the rev range.

Still not boosting right though as think it managed 8 psi on primary and secondary.

Going to go give that boost sensor a clean now. Fingers crossed!

Boom we have liftoff! Primary boost sensor was rather well gunked up so gave that a good clean out. Also made sure restrict or pill was in primary turbo - wastegate line. Cleaned out hoses 10 and 23 too plus replaced a couple that looked like they had small splits.

Now she is boosting around 14 psi on primary and 16 psi on secondary.

Off to check out the progress on our house in papamoa tomorrow so will give her a decent run over there.

Stoked!

I just drive around constantly in second gear at around 5k rpm thus no VOD to ever deal with.. All trolling aside I did find something interesting with the hose 10 mod.

I was running it in mine for awhile and it was good apart from the over boosting.

The primary would run 14psi and 19-20 when running on both.

After some trial and error I actually found in the factory hose there is a 0.8mm (ish) pill on the small 90deg hose from the T to the BOV.

This is what is making all of the trouble / notable difference when doing the hose 10 mod.

I removed this hose and put the configuration back to stock with the T but no pill.

PROFIT! Still worked just as well lots of low end torque but no over boosting ever.

If anyone has their factory hoses left from this please do check to see if yours also has a pill in it as I suspect replacing this section is all that is required.

@Marky @Ross

Well just got back from the drive to Papamoa. Car ran great on the way there with Wifey driving, but had a couple of issues on the way back.

Firstly the temp gauge started going up a bit as i was giving her a bit of stick up the hills. Went to just under 3/4, and then dropped down to the usual position of just under half once i backed off a bit.

Then coming up the Bombays, temp gauge did the same thing again, but this time the engine started to miss and stutter a little under throttle.

After that it was fine the rest of the way home.

Any ideas on the temp issue or the miss/stutter?

nickmcgill said:
I just drive around constantly in second gear at around 5k rpm thus no VOD to ever deal with.. All trolling aside I did find something interesting with the hose 10 mod.

I was running it in mine for awhile and it was good apart from the over boosting.

The primary would run 14psi and 19-20 when running on both.

After some trial and error I actually found in the factory hose there is a 0.8mm (ish) pill on the small 90deg hose from the T to the BOV.

This is what is making all of the trouble / notable difference when doing the hose 10 mod.

I removed this hose and put the configuration back to stock with the T but no pill.

PROFIT! Still worked just as well lots of low end torque but no over boosting ever.

If anyone has their factory hoses left from this please do check to see if yours also has a pill in it as I suspect replacing this section is all that is required.

@Marky @Ross

the reason I fck around with that hose 10 is that factory there is a deliberate leak in the hose to the BOV - removing that restrictor if anything just makes it worse. By giving the BOV a lower pressure than the pressurised system means it is predisposed to creeping open a bit - basically a crude way to limit max boost. The "Hose 10 mod" is just making the thing seal up properly, which is why people report back that their BOV gets louder and the thing feels stronger even at the same psi levels

Short version being that by removing the restrictor you're enforcing a deliberate boost leak back to the inlet, meaning boost drops but at the expense of increased inlet temp and turbo err, workload

To OP I live in Papamoa as well, if you're building it's likely around the corner from me haha. Give me a yell if you'd like me to have a look/tootuu some time. Temp gauge shouldn't budge, especially something as minor as the bombays - stutter is quite often AFM related but who knows what it really is

B4 I was 250T said:
This stutter, is it like when you're accelerating and then it misses and then carries on as normal? At about 100kmh or 3500rpm??

Yeah had it in auto and it was having trouble deciding which gear to be in so almost feel it could have been a gbox prob possibly. But was about 3500rpm and 100 kph yup.

Car is in for some panel work this week so wil have the auto trans fluid and filter changed anyway as I haven't done it since owning the car.

The plugs were changed around 15000km ago, and I put iridiums in. Are they likely to be stuffed by now? And do the coils fail often?