Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2 Pot Rear Callipers BH5

I've seen this mod covered a few times now, so thought I would document it as I go for hits and giggles. To fit 2 pot rear callipers to a BE/BH you'll need either S401 Legacy backing plates or some Kartboy adaptors:

Kartboy adapters:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Kartboy-KB-016-Big-Brake-Adapters-FHI-2-Pot-Rear-Subaru

2pot_dura.jpg

Genuine S401 Legacy backing plates, P/N RH-2670466000 & LH-2670466010:

backplate.jpg

S401 style copies made by Flatt-Racing:

http://www.flatt-racing.com/

CPjmsaY.jpg

For some reason I've ended up with two sets of 2 pots, so painted the black set red for a colour comparison OEM red/VHT real red SP731 calliper paint:

2_Pot_BH5_B_003.jpg

Spent about an hour prepping each calliper, sanding with 180 grit wet and dry. Then using a small die bit in the dremel for the hard to reach spots. Then cleaned up with wax and grease remover, taped up ready for paint:

2_Pot_BH5_B_006.jpg

Two thin coats, then one final medium coat. Then oven baked for 1 hour at 93c to cure the paint (as per can instructions). Cooled down and masking tape removed, here's the colour difference:

2_Pot_BH5_B_009.jpg

All parts cleaned, polished and reassembled:

2_Pot_BH5_B_010.jpg

Then the finishing touch, high temp vinyl decals from ebay:

2_Pot_BH5_B_011.jpg

Link to ebay seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-Brake-Caliper-Calliper-Stickers-Decals-Impreza-WRX-Sti-x-3-SMALL-REAR-/380756039797?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58a6d41875

2_Pot_BH5_B_012.jpg

Hopefully there's some fine weather this weekend and I can get them on and throw some more pics up.

Edited by Rosssub

94 Leone said:
ooh; a second set of 2- pots... ; I dont like that I promised myself I wouldn't mod the wrx 'til it's paid off haha!

Good to see the pic-heavy write-ups are back.

Love your detail bro!

There'll be more around when the time is right. Has been a while since I did one, but cheers man. :)

When every gram counts. The single pot sliders weigh 3.23kg each, the STI 2 pots are 1.84kg each:

2_pots_on_023.jpg

Seized old single pot callipers coming off:

2_pots_on_005.jpg

Calliper, rotor and handbrake assembly removed:

2_pots_on_007.jpg

Bearing hub removed:

2_pots_on_010.jpg

Now the original backing plate can come off:

2_pots_on_011.jpg

New backing plate installed and bearing hub back on:

2_pots_on_014.jpg

New 2 pot callipers on:

2_pots_on_022.jpg

Before:

2_pots_on_002.jpg

After:

done_001.jpg

gotasuby said:
Got the part number for the backing plates? Well done btw.

Thanks. Nah sorry I don't. I thought I had found them in this thread:http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?44515-R160-2-pot-calliper-backing-plates-GreymouthBut they are for a GDA, maybe GC/GF.

Here's a pic of the new plates (top left), OEM BH (top right) and GDA/GC/GF 2 pot(bottom). Different size hub centre, park brake pad mounts and wheel speed sensor location:

2_pots_on_012.jpg

No problems this time round, but I greased everything really well last time it was apart. The first time they came apart to do the wheel bearings I had major headache.

Even with this beast the axles wouldn't budge, outer splines completely seized into the hub:

Hub_Wheel_Bearing_Change_011.jpg

Ended up having to remove the trailing arms/axles complete:

Rear_Hub_Change_034.jpg

Then use a 20t press to remove the axles:

Last_bearing_003.jpg

Last_bearing_004.jpg

That's what I think the bottom pictured plate is off. Which means they wont fit on a BH/BE. You should be able to tell with just the handbrake assembly off.

Here's the difference between the plates/hub sizes and bolt spacing, hub bearing is BE/BH:

Plates_002.jpg

I've got the 2pot brembo callipers already, I've got backing plates that come off a v7 wrx which ran the 2pot rear callipers. Are ya saying these backing plates won't work? I'm sure ive read places that this is what people do? Will be ripped if they no good.

This is what I have to play with anyways.

pmygwxs0.bqz.jpg

aetzyvq2.03l.jpg