Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Identifying the gearbox 97 rsb replacement

gtlegacy

heya

i bought my 97 rsb a couple of months ago and noticed when pulling my motor out the engine mounts were different and my car was away at the time i asked the seller if the gearbox mounts had been done and he said he wasnt sure but then told me about the gearbox and said it had been replaced with a wrx gearbox

according to my chassis tag i should have TY752VBCAA and i just found out that rsb and gtb have the same gearbox as sti of same year ?

i need to find out what is what here as far as i understand it 4.111 is early legacy and imprza wrx and wrx sti gtb rsb are 4.444

i really want to know what i have but the main problem is the sticker or tag front the starter area is missing i know how to count the diff gears etc but that will only tell me the ratio right?

how can i tell if its an sti or rsb gtb not just a lesser strength wrx or early tt

also just incase how can i tell if its a close ratio

i have driven the car a small amount (accross the lawn) and it seemed to be ok and if it was wrong the car wouldnt drive would it?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boostin

No easy way to tell. As for ratio, if you're doing 100kph and its revving around 3500rpm then its likely to be a close ratio box.

gtlegacy said:

ok so there is really no way of knowing if i have a wrx or sti gearbox? apparently its out of a wrx but i thought that cant be right cos dnt they majority have 4.111 where the stis and b specs have 4.444?

Mainly yes, you are correct.

RS and GTB gearboxes are same as STI, if you are still running the same rear diff then you could assume that you are running the same or similar gearbox.

so the only way to find out if i have a wrx or sti gearbox is if i pull it out and open up the casing and measure the gears?

were any of the wrxs 4.444? around that era?

is there any way to tell from the centre diff? clutch vs mechanical?

gtlegacy said:

ok so i have a 4.111 how do i indentify the rear diff?

numbers on the diff.. post them up someone will know, out curiosity what the model number on the vin plate for the engine ........ Ok if the vin said trans TY752VBCAA the rear diff (if it was not changed also) should be 4.444 (R180) it seems they put a standard Rex/Legacy GB into it and sold it to you.. I would guess your engine would be the BD5B/C

replace the GB with the correct one if the diff is still the same all shall be back to the normal..

P.S Engine mounts for the legacy ones were round and had fluid in them, better upgrade is the STi ones, and Sti GB ones solid rubber. possibly what you now have.

TY752VBAAA = 1994/1995 RS/GT 5MT rear diff would be 4.111

This gearbox would not be considered as strong as an STI equivalent, but does have stronger 1st and 2nd gear clusters than early WRX/GEN 1 Legacy.

ok holy **** that guy screwed me over i hope my engine is ej20r otherwise i wont be happy lol

are the numbers on the rear diff at the back ?

my motor has the vf20 on the passenger and the larger throttle body? so would be an ej20R right?

what gearbox/diff would you suggest getting ? or will the box/rear diff be ok ? is there anyway to tell if it still has the r180 if not really gutted ae

i spun one of the rear wheels forward in the air and only one side went around as well which would suggest open ?

4.444 is not necessarily a R180, there should be a label on the rear diff that will tell you the ratio, but i can tell you if your running the gearbox the transcode is off then it will be a 4.111

It's the combination of gearbox ratios and rear diff that give it certain characteristics.

Just drive on what you have nothing wrong with it, just technically speaking not as strong.

If your that concerned about it; I would install what the car should have, or something similar.