Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Identifying the gearbox 97 rsb replacement

gtlegacy

sry, I feel I may added confusion (I meant) if your rear diff is the same match to the OEM gearbox on the vin plate your diff should be 4.444 which matches the gearbox number TY752VBCAA that you gave before (same as my GTB)

sounds like they changed it, sad...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gtlegacy said:

yea so they would of had to change the rear diff too? seems like a lot of work for a warranty job and if the gbox was rooted the diff would be allright wouldnt it ?

Yes the diff would have to be changed to match the gearbox otherwise it won't go around corners.

The diff would have been fine.

great lol

i just had a quick look under the car and no tag at the rear of diff on the cover but i got numbers

74 kn7 on the underside of it and just a 3 on the back cover thats all i could really see

the gearbox is definetly a my94-95 and it looks like the rear shafts have been changed as well what a bummer

what are the difference in sizes between the shafts i should have gtb rsb and sti and the gt/rs twin trbo ones

is anybody wants to sell the box (ty752vbcaa) rear diff 4.444 lsd? and shafts or better than im keen but want to swap with cash extra

gtlegacy said:

what are the difference in sizes between the shafts i should have gtb rsb and sti and the gt/rs twin trbo ones

snip

TY752VBCAA are found in both GTB RSB and Sti

ratio :

1 : 3.166

2 : 1.882

3 : 1.296

4 : 0.972

5 : 0.738

final : 4.444

Trademe usually has them most times, someone might have one..

4.444 Diff:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=231317559

GearBox:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Gear-boxes/auction-231481644.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Gear-boxes/auction-232452711.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Gear-boxes/auction-231587195.htm

anyone with an manual rsb please can you help i need the number off the rear diff to identify mine also if its possible can you roughly measure the front and rear axles

whats the easiest way to find out the front and rear diff ratios ? as i dont trust that what i have is right

Cheers

hmm okay then ...

im going to pull the gearbox tomorrow to see what the real ratio is on the box (through the oil drain hole with a white pen)

for 4.111 and 4.444 how many teeth should i see ?

same with the back ? just wondering how to actually see the teeth without pulling everything out completely

please can anyone get back to me by tomorrow

CHeers

ok thank you i just worked out how to do it anyways seeing no1 replyed in time i have a 40 tooth crown wheel so i need a whole number to be right so 40 divided by 4.111 = not whole number not that 1 40 divided by 4.444 = 9 winner

hmm seems a bit wierd that they would go to such a big length to change the ratio in a ty752vbAAA gearbox when they could of just got a gtb for not much more

is realy the same or is marking and turning diff 4.444 whole time and axles should go around 1 time right?

no i pulled it out to clean it anyway opened bung hole marked with twink on a tooth and turned the input shaft around to turn the crown wheel to count them isnt it a bit weird to change a front diff in a different gbox though?

is it worth keeping that one of get a gtb rsb sti v3-4 box? mase the ratios on the gears are different?

TY752VBCAA 3.166 1.882 1.296 0.972 0.738 4.444

TY752VBAAA 3.454 2.062 1.448 1.088 0.825 4.111 mine is 4.444 front diff in this box

http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html

just did a quick calculation

with gbox have now

ty752vbAAA with 4.444 front diff instead of 4.111 i get with the rpm value at 7500 and 0.7 on rev(just how it was when i went into it)

i get

35mph

59mph

85mph

113mph

149mph

but with

sti rsb or gtb box and

all the same apart from the ratios on the gears

i got

39mph

65mph

95mph

127mph

167mph

what does that actually mean? that my gears are shorter from the 4.444 instead of 4.111 is this a good thing or a bad thing

It means better acceleration and less top end. I recently switched from 4.111 to 4.444 ratio's and wouldn't go back. But now I have to put up with the car sitting around 3.7k rpm at ~100kph. Used to be 3k. Not sure how much top speed I would have lost but at Ruapuna on the long front straight, it used to take ages to settle then accelerate in 5th whereas now it pulls 5th quite easily.

But for a normal, daily driver, I quite like my old ratios (4.111) that are now in my GTB which mean its not revving heaps at 100kph.

Agreed.

Its does come down to the Gearbox ratios as well, for example my close ratio box has a 4.111 rear diff and is defiantly setup for acceleration (until 5th) haven't spent much time driving a 4.444 close ratio box...

Guest boostin

Change to a gearbox with a 4.44 diff from factory.

The speedo drive is from the output shaft to the centre diff. You would need to swap the 2 shafts from a 4.44 box, so it would make sense to just swap the whole box.