Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Lightweight Flywheel, Engine Problems

GC82GO

Hi all, purchased a HD Clutch/Pressure plate and Lightweight flywheel, Installed them this weekend that just past, and now im having a world of troubles. She wont Idle properly, getting a CEL coming up randomly but not all the time, and now she is backfiring a lot more than normal even under casual nana driving. and when I rev it up on the spot she starts smoking out the back and smells like gas!.. all started since I put the Clutch/flywheel combo in, anyone had similar issues.

Yea could well be electrical issue, Is there is meant to be a earth from the gearbox to the body? If so my car is missing that. I Didn't think to check the plugs, I mean she boosts fine. But I can smell gas... Im gonna take it to Dtech at lunchtime.

Yeah there is a ground wire from firewall to the gearbox that's used for the neutral/reverse switch circuits. Assume your speedo is plugged in and working ok? That also causes terrible running. Checking what cel is logged might point you in the right direction

Ahh yes I will make a ground up and install it on the gearbox connecting to the firewall. Actually no... my speedo is not working, Will be fixing that today, do you know what problems this can cause?

This is another random note about what was affected after my Flywheel/Clutch Change/gearbox change. My car was running more boost after the change. was reaching 1.3-4 bar when I had my boost controller set to .9 bar. I lowered the Duty Cycle and this brought it back down, but I didn't notice it until last night. So have done a few hard pulls on 1.4 bar... Possibly my motor is hurt? as it smells like a lot of gas and a tiny bit of smoke will come from the exhaust when I rev it on the spot to about 6-7k RPM... Dtech said this was fine but needs the Fuel mixture checked.. I don't know tho. I thought smoke coming out of the exhaust was oil burning?

GC82GO said:
Ahh yes I will make a ground up and install it on the gearbox connecting to the firewall. Actually no... my speedo is not working, Will be fixing that today, do you know what problems this can cause?

yes. terrible running lol

fix your speedo and things should come right :)

Ok that's good to hear thanks kamineko. Also I been reading I might be running too much fuel pressure, its set at 43psi at idle.. But I just read that it needs to be set with the Vac line to the FPR off... then with it on it should sit around 32-36psi. But I guess that's a different thread....

GC82GO said:
Ok that's good to hear thanks kamineko. Also I been reading I might be running too much fuel pressure, its set at 43psi at idle.. But I just read that it needs to be set with the Vac line to the FPR off... then with it on it should sit around 32-36psi. But I guess that's a different thread....

Its 50psi static and 43.5 normal isn't it? i've noted below 38psi on fpr will start to have rough idle.. wonder if you knocked/split the blowby hose creating a vac leak removing or installing the engine/gbox, quite common seeing there nothing but a baked rubber hose.

3 bar with no vacuum . then idle will read 43.5 psi - what ever the amount of vacuum the engine pulls .

many people dont know that the whole point of the fpr is to maintain pressure acorss the injectors so they perform correctly . huge pressure or rising rate regs etc are secondary to that

Didn't end up compression testing it.. But I ended up fixing the speedo and found my O2 sensor was unplugged from doing my flywheel/clutch/box so it's all go now! I brought a v2 RA gearbox and 3.9 ratio r180 diff and put them in when I changed my clutch and flywheel, also swapped the transfer cases over so I still have the dccd. More issues arise though, I have a worn valve stem seal or 2.. the Motor will come out soon to repair that..

I may be wrong here, and I expect someone more knowledgeable to chime in - but would it be a good idea to remove the extractors and shine a torch up into the exhaust ports to see if one of the valves are leaking to confirm that diagnosis?

I don't know anything about D-tech, but if you told them the same story I wonder why they checked the fuel pressure before looking for an electrical problem?

kamineko said:
yup i just changed mine. if they are leaking, won't you be able to see oil seeping out of the bottom of the valve guide? assuming the exhaust valves have a higher chance of leaking

With fouled plugs where the intake valve seals have gone. Is it blowing smoke or fouling plugs GC82GO?

kamineko said:

I don't know anything about D-tech, but if you told them the same story I wonder why they checked the fuel pressure before looking for an electrical problem?

maybe because he doesn't lack common sense? If its still the factory fuel pump then it would be nearly 20years old and no doubt around 200,000kms old or why. Factory fuel regs are also problematic.

Your right about shinning light in the ports and exhaust valve stems leaking etc which would make it puff blue smoke many on startup unless its really bad but wouldn't cause it to run rough on idle.