Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BE/BH factory satnav and climate replacement

avgeek

EDIT: Moved photos to Picasa

Here's how to replace a Subaru OEM "FM Hybrid Navigation System" included in many BE and BH Legacy's. This unit also functions as a display for the HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) controls so it's a pain if you want to rip it out or don't have the firmware CD (I have a working image of this if you need it BTW).

The good new is you can replace it with the standard auto climate panel. Note that all the mechanics and wreckers I've spoken to say this can't be done; however it can and I have! It took a bit of hacking and research, and I've never found any instructions on it anywhere so I've written this in case you want to have a go yourself. Unfortunately I didn't take the photos until afterwards so there aren't many.

Before:

satnav_in_dash.jpg

After:

new_climate.jpg

Before I start, I should mention that if you modify your car it is at your own risk. I am not to be held responsible for any damage or injury caused as a result of using the information in this post. It has worked well for me but there may be variations between models, etc.

Stuff you will need (read notes!)

• Auto climate control unit part 72311AExxx (xxx can be 000, 100, 170 or 180)
  • Plugs to fit above unit with a few inches of cable attached
  • Stereo mounting brackets to suit above unit
  • Suitable dash surround
  • Dash air sensor for 170/180 units
  • #1 Phillips screwdriver
  • #1 Phillips stubby
  • Plastic wedge/flat blade screwdriver/butter knife for unclipping the fascia
  • Soldering iron and solder
  • Heatshrink tubing (approx 4mm dia)
  • Black PVC insulation tape (use good stuff like Nitto)

First, some important notes. It seems there are several different types of 'standard' (i.e. non -satnav) climate panel available; 000, 100, 170 and 180. There may even be others for all I know.

The 030 is the satnav-style one.

The 000 and 100 were used from 1998 to 2000 and have a built-in air temperature sensor. I've no idea what the difference between the two is.

The 170 and 180 were used from 2001 to 2003 and have a separate air sensor located in the dash surround. I'm not sure what the official difference between them is but I do know the 180 doesn't have the little buzzer inside that makes it beep when you press buttons. Maybe someone else here can explain in better detail.

I replaced my old 030 with a 170 and it works fine. I have no idea what to expect with the others but can't see why they wouldn't work either; I doubt Subaru engineers would make significant changes to the electrical specs as it would just cost them money.

Whatever type you choose, make sure you get the plugs and wiring to match that same part number! They all physically fit the same but I've been warned by my mechanic that Subaru had a habit of changing the pins around with each model.

Shop around too; try TradeMe, eBay and various wreckers as prices vary wildly. I was quoted $220-$300. In the end I got mine from RPM Garage for US$55.

The other thing to note is the dash fascia. Obviously to save money you could just replace the fascia around the stereo with one of a matching colour. Mine was fake wood grain so I decided to go the whole hog and replace the entire kit (transmission shift fascia, stereo fascia, drink holder and lighting control panel) with a smarter black brushed aluminium look. Note you will need to find a tranny shift fascia that matches your transmission type.

If you use a 170 or 180 controller you will need the surround that has an air temperature sensor on it. It's probably easiest to visit a wreckers in person so you can hand pick all the bits you need.

Procedure

There is a nice post with photos on getting things apart here. I've described it anyway

First up you should probably disconnect the battery ground.

The transmission fascia simply unclips. Start by carefully lifting the handbrake end straight up until it pops off, then gently pull the fascia towards the rear of the car until the top two clips pop out. Manuals you will need to unscrew the gear shift knob, autos you need to unplug the mode switch.

Remove the two screws on the accessory tray and lift it out.

Remove the ash tray. There are two screws under the stereo fascia where the ash tray sits; remove these.

The stereo fascia simply pulls out. You will need to run a flat object around the sides to help unclip everything. I use a stainless butter knife wrapped in PVC tape for this to prevent damage to the dash. The drink holder and climate buttons come out with the fascia.

Disconnect any plugs from the fittings on the fascia and the air temperature sensor hose.

Undo the screw below the air vents and gently pop the air vent panel out slightly to make room for the next step.

Undo the six screws on the stereo brackets and remove the stereo/satnav assembly. It's quite heavy and there are a lot of plugs to disconnect! Be careful not to knock the sharp metal brackets on the dash as it scratches very easily.

The climate system consists of three units; a beige box on top of the satnav unit, the satnav unit itself and the button panel. All of the smarts are in the beige box; this is almost identical inside to the standard climate unit sans the buttons and display.

satnav_removed.jpg

Identify the plugs to each of the units. There are two grey ones to the beige box, a black one to the control panel and another black one to the satnav unit.

wires.jpg

Here comes the fun part. Remove the tape from the above four looms all the way back to where they join to the stereo loom. You will notice that there are a lot of wires that link the units; two (black and brown) between the beige box and the satnav and heaps between the beige box and control panel.

Cut each wire one at a time (except the looped ones) and connect the replacement plugs as shown in the chart below. Solder and heatshrink each connection for the best reliability. I recommend labeling each one as you go so you can easily revert it all if the mod doesn't work. There will be quite a few spare wires left over; heatshrink any spare ends to prevent shorting. Note the two sky blue wires that need to be joined together.

Pin numbers are per the service manual and match those with the 170 I used. Most will have some pin numbers on them, but to identify them anyway hold the plug with the retainer clip facing up and the wires facing away from you. The pins are numbered from left to right, top to bottom. For example, a 16 pin plug will be numbered like this:

[table]

[tr]

[td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]5[/td][td]6[/td][td]7[/td][td]8[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]9[/td][td]10[/td][td]11[/td][td]12[/td][td]13[/td][td]14[/td][td]15[/td][td]16[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Photo of 20 pin plug:

plug.jpg

Wiring Layout

Replacement unit

Plug A (black) - 16 pins

Plug B (black) - 20 pins

Old units

Beige box - climate control computer

Plug C (grey) - 22 pins

Plug D (grey) - 26 pins

Control panel

Plug E (black) - 20 pins

Satnav unit

Plug F (black) - 6 pins

Loop connections don't need to be modified, I've just provided them for reference.

[table]

[tr][td]Old[/td] [td]New[/td] [td]Colour[/td] [td]Purpose[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C1[/td] [td]A1[/td] [td]Blue/Red[/td] [td]+12V Battery[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C2[/td] [td]A2[/td] [td]Green/Blue[/td] [td]+12V Ignition[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C3[/td] [td]A3[/td] [td]Yellow/Red[/td] [td]+12V Accessory[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C4[/td] [td]A4[/td] [td]Green/Red[/td] [td]Sunload Sensor[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C5[/td] [td]A5[/td] [td]White/Red[/td] [td]Heater[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C6[/td] [td]A6[/td] [td]White/Green[/td] [td]Heater[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C7[/td] [td]N/C[/td] [td]Purple[/td] [td]Illumination[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C8[/td] [td]A7[/td] [td]Yellow[/td] [td]A/C Clutch Relay[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C9[/td] [td]A8[/td] [td]Blue/White[/td] [td]Heater[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C10[/td] [td]B1[/td] [td]Green/Yellow[/td] [td]Heater[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C11[/td] [td]B2[/td] [td]L. Green/White[/td] [td]Blower[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C12[/td] [td]A9[/td] [td]Black[/td] [td]Ground[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C13[/td] [td]A10[/td] [td]Sky Blue[/td] [td]Sensor Ground[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C14[/td] [td]N/C[/td] [td]Black/Yellow[/td] [td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C15[/td] [td]A11[/td] [td]Orange[/td] [td]Ambient Sensor[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C16[/td] [td]A12[/td] [td]Brown/White[/td] [td]Blower[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C17[/td] [td]A13[/td] [td]Pink/White[/td] [td]Ext. Thermometer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C18[/td] [td]A14[/td] [td]White/Orange[/td] [td]Heater[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C19[/td] [td]N/C[/td] [td]Brown/Yellow[/td] [td]Ground (diagnostics?)[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C20[/td] [td]A16[/td] [td]Red/Black[/td] [td]Heater[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C21[/td] [td]B11[/td] [td]Yellow/Blue[/td] [td]Heater[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]C22[/td] [td]B12[/td] [td]Black/Blue[/td] [td]Blower[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D1[/td] [td]B3[/td] [td]Violet/Yellow[/td] [td]Blower Relay[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D2[/td] [td]B5[/td] [td]Red/Yellow[/td] [td]Blower[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D4[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Brown/Black[/td] [td]Data to Satnav[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D6[/td] [td]B8[/td] [td]Green/White[/td] [td]Diagnostics[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D7[/td] [td]B7[/td] [td]Blue/Orange[/td] [td]Diagnostics[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D8[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Black/Red[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D9[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Brown[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D10[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Blue/Yellow[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D11[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Red/Black[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D12[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]White[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D13[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Yellow/Black[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D14[/td] [td]B13[/td] [td]Violet/Green[/td] [td]Defog Relay[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D15[/td] [td]B15[/td] [td]Pink/White[/td] [td]ECU[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D16[/td] [td]B16[/td] [td]Green/Black[/td] [td]Speed Sensor (MT)/TCU (AT)[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D17[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Black/White[/td] [td]Data Gnd to Satnav[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D20[/td] [td]B17[/td] [td]L. Green/Red[/td] [td]Diagnostics[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D21[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]White/Black[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D22[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Red[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D23[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Brown/Red[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D24[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]White/Red[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D25[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Red/White[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]D26[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Blue/Black[/td] [td]Control Panel[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E1[/td] [td]N/C[/td] [td]Blue/Green[/td] [td]+12V Ignition[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E2[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E3[/td] [td]N/C[/td] [td]Black/Yellow[/td] [td]?[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E4[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]White/Black[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E5[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Blue/Yellow[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E6[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Red/Black[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E7[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]White[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E8[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Red/White[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E9[/td] [td]A10[/td] [td]Sky Blue[/td] [td]Sensor Ground[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E10[/td] [td]B20[/td] [td]Black[/td] [td]Illum. Ground[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E11[/td] [td]B10[/td] [td]Violet[/td] [td]Illumination[/td] [td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E13[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Black/Red[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E14[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Red[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E15[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Brown/Red[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E16[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]White/Red[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E17[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Yellow/Black[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E18[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Blue/Black[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E19[/td] [td]A15[/td] [td]Black[/td] [td]Ground[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]E20[/td] [td]Loop[/td] [td]Brown[/td] [td]Climate Computer[/td][/tr]

[/table]

F - None used. The Yellow/Violet wire is 12V accessory and a handy tap if you have a band expander; it saves chopping the stereo wiring.

Double check your work before reconnecting the battery!

Testing

Hold down the Auto and Recirculate buttons while switching on the ignition. The climate unit will flash a test display (all symbols on) and beep four times. After that it will display a troubleshooting code. If it says 20 then all is well so far. If it says 25 you probably have your car in the shade; try parking it in sunlight. If anything else, double check your wiring. Here's a list of possible trouble codes:

ac-codes.png

Press Defrost to begin the self-test cycle. The unit will cycle through a variety of tests and display the number of each test as it runs. Check that everything operates as shown in the test chart below. If this all works OK, ensure the engine starts normally and no fault lights appear.

ac-test.png

Housecleaning

The GPS antenna is located behind the instrument cluster. If you want to remove it you will need to take the instruments out first. I left mine in there.

The CeNet and video cable go under the driver kick panel and end up under the drivers seat where there is a TV tuner module stuck to the carpet with Velcro. I removed all of this intact as it it quite simple.

Now you can tape up the looms, put it all back together and enjoy your new climate unit!

Safe driving!

was just seeing if you lived close to me and maybe help me out if i was to change my sat nav?

where did you manage to score the connectors to the non sat nav heater controls? its easy enough to get hold of the unit itself but those connectors are hard to find.

Any wreckers should be able to help, I got mine from Rosco's in Ashburton for about $10 + postage. Just ask for the plugs (quote your climate part number) and a small part of the loom.

Sometimes you see whole cars go for parts on TradeMe, ask a question on the auction and the seller may be able to help you.

if your in need of the non sat nav heater control, i have two units in the garage, one is a 000 the other a 170.

also have all of the dash surround in a marbleish coulor, but no shifter surround

-smurff

Guest Bjcnz

Would I be able to replace my twisty turny nob styled controller with the climate control unit in my 2000 legacy?

I believe it may be possible (isn't anything?) but would be much more work. Ages back I saw some posts in an American forum where people had imported JDM parts and shoe-horned them into their US-spec Legacy's, including the automatic climate system.

It's worth nothing the automatic climate system is much more than just the pretty controller; it features various sensors around the car, interfaces with the engine management (ECU) and has additional servo actuators in the heater assembly itself (the manual HVAC panel uses a cable linkage to control the heater).

What this means is that you will probably have to gut the entire front interior of the car (dash, front seats, carpet) to get at all the bits you will need to install/replace. You would also have to install the ambient air sensor in front of the radiator and run additional wiring through the engine bay.

The satnav job worked because all of that stuff was already in place; I simply replaced the brains behind the operation.

It would be seriously cool if someone has the guts to try such a project but I think you would have to love your car very, very much to justify all that work!

Guest Bjcnz

Haha, yeah I was wondering how many sensors there would be for it. I love my Legacy, but how it is is fine for me, and the aircon and everything works sweet, doesn't look bad either. Why does it speak to the ecu?

Does anyone know how to switch the Sat Nav unit to AV? I plugged in a DVD player into the video input at the back of the unit but couldn't figure out how to switch to it.

I want to hook up a reverse camera to it and if it works I would leave the sat nav in.

Guest keltik

I tried that, the only way you can do it is to fit the Clarion TV tuner and then run the video through that. The satnav system uses feedback from the CeNet system to tell it when to switch to video (VTR) mode.

keltik is correct. You must have the vehicle stationary (the handbrake trick won't work) to enable the TV. Press the button under the Off button to toggle between map, A/C and TV. The video input must be NTSC of course.

You can use the TV mode to provide aux audio too (as opposed to hooking into the headunit). You need to unsolder the ext video input on the TV tuner (under the drivers seat) and you can connect an audio source here.

To get that side of things to work, when in TV mode press the top right button on the satnav unit, scroll to the bottom option and click the joystick in. This should cause it to display VTR on the display and the audio should work. The stereo should display ACCS. I'd suggest having the video input connected to the tuner while setting this up.

This is all completely from memory; I had this all set up as described until I gutted the lot and put in the standard climate panel and McIntosh setup. Admittedly I really liked it at the time but the lack of English put me off.

Top of tuner after my mod:

tuner_top_view.jpg

Inside showing the solder work:

tuner_audio_wiring.jpg

Guest Bjcnz

Engine idle control, plus I believe the A/C gets disengaged during heavy acceleration or very high vehicle speed but don't quote me on that last bit.

Thanks, makes sense ;D

• 2 months later...

Hey dude,

that firmware cd - will it get rid of the annoying japanese message (which I suspect says something like "please insert cd"?) - if so, what does the screen then display? Not keen to rip the whole thing apart but if we can change the screen that'd be a start.

Cheers,

Dan.

Once the CD is in, you can either turn it off, leave it showing japanese GPS, switch it to the climate control screen or switch it to TV/DVD if youve got a tuner plugged into it.

FWIW I made a copy of mine using Brasero and Nero and both worked fine.

The CD doesn't contain a standard file system (e.g. ISO 9660) so you if you want to store it on a computer or email it you will need to save it as a .bin/.cue file.

If I get a moment tonight I'll try post a copy online somewhere so anyone can download it.

• 4 months later...
Guest Fastfour

Since replacing the stereo in the car our screen stopped displaying anything. Which is a real pain as you cant see what the air con is doing.

Any fix for this?