Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Why are B4's so cheap?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the horror stories you hear about the B4 models, is that the owners think they are WRX' - or 10 second monsters. I've had my Rev-D for coming up three years and it's never skipped a beat. Nice car to drive, still having the power and sound of a performance Subaru. Treat it right, and maintain it properly and you'll have yourself a good experience.

• 3 months later...

I own a BE5 rev D manual and i bought it for 6000 totally stock at 220,000. It is the most comfy and quickest car.The blue black leather is immaculate and the motor is strong as. I couldnt recommend em enough. Like most ppl have said dont buy one modified with exhaust n go fast bits without a proper tune thats when they blow up. Its not a bloody wrx and shouldnt be treated as one but i find the handling sharp and the second turbo kick putting a smile on my face i just only use 98 ron and anything over 25 deg i dont put the foot down. I will be looking at getting a safe Tune to get it more suited to our weather and fuel spec hopefully soon. I love this car and i prefer them over the impreza. I was lucky it had only 2 owners in its life one a buisness man and a small family. I think i got lucky : )

• Admin
 PUREBROWN said:
I own a BE5 rev D manual and i bought it for 6000 totally stock at 220,000. It is the most comfy and quickest car.The blue black leather is immaculate and the motor is strong as. I couldnt recommend em enough. Like most ppl have said dont buy one modified with exhaust n go fast bits without a proper tune thats when they blow up. Its not a bloody wrx and shouldnt be treated as one but i find the handling sharp and the second turbo kick putting a smile on my face i just only use 98 ron and anything over 25 deg i dont put the foot down. I will be looking at getting a safe Tune to get it more suited to our weather and fuel spec hopefully soon. I love this car and i prefer them over the impreza. I was lucky it had only 2 owners in its life one a buisness man and a small family. I think i got lucky : )

Did you mean 6000 totally stock at 120,000km? Because 6k for a Rev D at 220 is rather expensive.

For a 2002 b4? I havnt seen them any cheaper unless they are derilect or trashed? I live in perth

yea 220,000. I put an average of 20000 km a year for mileage on a car as a benchmark and 220000 for a 13 yr old car isnt bad. the health of the engine is amazing it has been well maintained if you can get one for under 6k in this condition i would jump on it

Edited by PUREBROWN

the early ones are easy to single turbo if you want a project

the later ones aren't as easy but have better specs and certain models can be tuned on factory ecu.

the later 2003 onward models single turbo are good and not bad pricing

No turbo subaru is good on gas with my foot, single or twin both guzzle

If you want a faster type car get the factory rs manual versions as they are better than the auto versions.

Depends what type of car you want?

Yea unfortunatly things are more expensive in perth WA i wish i could get a sweet silver ride for 6200 with those kms on it but still i am stoked

with what i have and owning it out right for a mnths worth of overtime screw paying off a car its dead money.

• 2 weeks later...

The rev A-C's are cheap, the Rev-D's that are in good condition are still worth a bit imo.

I've had my Rev-D for 3 years, 140k's and only modification is the fujimo exhaust that was installed by the previous owner who bought the car new in 2002 when he lived in Japan, and moved it to NZ when he moved here in 2010.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 2000 GTB and I loved the thing. But I think a facelift model would have been better due to the ability to smooth out the engine with a reflash. The earlier cars we just a bit like they had to be driven hard to be smooth-ish. Never drove an auto though so this was just a manual car. Almost bought another before picking up my current car. I found half of them would not spool up the primary turbo properly and felt laggy up to 4500RPM. As for fuel consumption. I found that it used 12.5l/100km all day every day. Town, open road, driving like a nana or driving like it was a rental. So very consistent. Reliability was OK. In the 40k I drove it, the radiator blew up which is a common thing and I had to replace the MAF so that it would stop CEL turning on all the time. Anyway, I still think they are amazing value for money.

• 1 month later...

Might be time to look at a BL. (Assuming that's the sedan)

On a side note my car is going to workshop again. Car runs perfect, but as soon as secondary starts to spool, compressor surge to the max. A release valve or exhaust gas supply control valve is not working (not surprised if it's filled with fuel from when the coil failed) - first real issue it's had in the 3 years I've owned it.

At least the BL is single turbo so easier to work on, kappa.

Jono24 said:
I have a rev D with an ECUtek flash and it still has a big VOD! (may be considered subjective here).

Interesting, because my partners RevD RSK does not really have a VOD as such, just boost then some more boost.

And its bone stock as far as we know.

You can trick it into being a slug if you change gear in the wrong spot, not sure if anything can fix that issue other than single churbro-ing things.

Its certainly better than my RevC GTB with pretty much everything done to it bar the ZS controller and the downpipes, which are waiting on some funds for heat wrap and a muffler... stupid lack of funds!

Percy said:
Interesting, because my partners RevD RSK does not really have a VOD as such, just boost then some more boost.

And its bone stock as far as we know.

You can trick it into being a slug if you change gear in the wrong spot, not sure if anything can fix that issue other than single churbro-ing things.

Its certainly better than my RevC GTB with pretty much everything done to it bar the ZS controller and the downpipes, which are waiting on some funds for heat wrap and a muffler... stupid lack of funds!

I'm going single, it was fun with a VF37, and i'm sure it'll be more fun with a twin scroll TD-05/06 hybrid :)