Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Lateral Link confusion

Hi guys

Recently picked up a 96 impreza gf8 wagon. Went to fit a sway bar and found mine had no mounts on chassis or on the lateral links. I've fitted mounts from a gc8 and lateral links out of a forester(2000 i think) from pick a part. Have since gone for alignment and has come back with 3.7mm and 1.9mm toe in the rear and the guy said he's maxed out the adjustment.

Searching the web i've found different theories on the lateral link length, sedans supposedly being 10mm longer than wagon, the forester links didn't appear to be any longer and have roughly compared from under the car and they seem the same give or take a few mm.

Does anyone know for sure if the links are different lengths? And if they are, would best bet be replacing the front link (on the rear) with forester ones as well?

Thanks in advance for any advice, i'm rather stumped as of what to do

I didn't notice anything bent when changing it. Alignment guy said toe arms need replacing but his justification was due to having to max out adjustment, didn't mention the actual cause. I will double check it all but seems strange both would be bent?

I will check to see if subframe/diff all locks straight and square as well. Does anyone think its caused by changing lateral link to forester links? Another theory I thought could be the bushings in my forward lateral link being stuffed compared to the back ones

Front control arm/lateral link bushes could have an effect, would be visually worn/deteriorated if so. Maybe mark the rotation of the toe in adjusting bolts, then pull the forester links back out and compare with the originals precisely. Check for straightness while they're out. Also compare the bush/bolt hole ID at both ends as well.

Edit: Worn or rusted toe in adjusting bolts could maybe be a problem too.

Edited by Rosssub

Alrighty, so pulled it all apart this morning, found that the forester links are about 5mm longer bolt centre to centre than my stock ones. Diff cradle looks pretty straight as the threads where lockdown bolts line up pretty well.

The new deliberation is whether to hunt for the same length as stock lateral with sway mount, or change front link to forester as well (however this option will increase negative camber and track width)

Any thoughts?