Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Annoying as heck metallic rattle from GC8 Type Ra

• Admin

So, in my Type Ra there's this super annoying metallic Rattling, that only comes when driving, not at idle, and when the rev range is low etc.

Seems to be coming from the rear left door / B (center?) pillar area. Zenki (kevin) and myself have checked inside the door and / or anything attached to it, and there's nothing there.

We've searched everywhere. Seats are tight down, gearbox mounts are tight from when the box came out last. Has anyone has a rattle like this before ? It's driving me freaking nuts !

• Admin
 ADIKT said:
My gf8 was doing something similar recently - turned out to be the rear right door card - gave it a good whack downwards to get the metal clips to seat

I would agree, but in this case the door cards were off completely. So no dice there :/

• Admin
 Guitar_Guy said:
Stone(s) in your exhaust heat shield maybe?? I had that in my first car, it was horrendous, had the shield chopped off and was never a problem after that.

I wish haha, nah no heatshields here, 3.5" exhaust doesn't fit under the heatshield :P

It's quite a distinctive sound, you know a sound of a loose heavy metal object. Best example I could give would be like a light tap from a hammer. just very fast.

• Admin
 boon']Uppipe heat shield... especially if you're running an aftermarket downpipe and standard uppipe.

Get underneath and whack it with the end of a pry-bar.

I would check, but there are no heat shields fellas, the entire exhaust system is custom, no heat shields.

[quote name='evowrx said:

Jack?

What do you mean jack? like have I had it up on jacks recently? No.

• Admin
 GC8E2DD said:
Top seat belt bolt loose? Strut top studs/ nuts loose? Exhaust hitting rear subframe?

I've not checked the Top Seat Belt bolt. I'll check that. Struts I think are fine. I'll check those too. Nah, exhaust isn't touching. Bloody close, but it's not.

Spray some wd40 on the boot hinges. Might sound daft but I also had an annoying squeak/rattle coming from the rear passenger side. I tracked it down to dry hinges. So I spayed the heck out of any moving part there. Result.....sound gone. Worth a try.

My exhaust wasn't touching the subframe, but at certain rpm, and with enough movement in the hangers, it would reach a resonant frequency which vibrated against the subframe. Sounded like a metallic woodpecker. If the exhaust got hot enough (street sprint or whatever) it would go away which I attributed to the exhaust getting longer and having just enough clearance for the vibration.

• 4 weeks later...
 GC8E2DD said:
My exhaust wasn't touching the subframe, but at certain rpm, and with enough movement in the hangers, it would reach a resonant frequency which vibrated against the subframe. Sounded like a metallic woodpecker. If the exhaust got hot enough (street sprint or whatever) it would go away which I attributed to the exhaust getting longer and having just enough clearance for the vibration.

Same thing for me, got the pipe modified slightly and we good I'd almost start here OP

Poor sod who has to hang out the door and/or crawl under the car to find this noise reporting:

I am in agreement with most of the exhaust posts, the RA is going up on a lift when it gets WoF'd anyway so we shall see what the clearances are like. Sound only heard when car is rolling at low RPMs, and it is coming from the left rear side of the car.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

So we finally found that god damn rattle. Turns out the bushes in the rear of the car are a bit busted and the first one to let go is the rear left sub-frame bush. explains alot haha. Now to hunt down a complete bush kit.