Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Takata airbags recall

The airbag doesn't randomly go off. The issue is with moisture causing corrosion in the inflator casing which can rupture on airbag deployment, sending bits of shrapnel out inside the airbag. Currently only NZ new vehicles are being recalled, all gen 4s for Legacys. Unless you bought your car in the last couple of months, you'd know if it's been replaced or not - you would have had it in at your local dealer. So far my work has done 40 or so. Got them down to just over an hour, and yes, the dash comes out.

There's no point annoying your dealer about it. Unless you've had the letters from Subaru NZ, just sit in the queue like the rest of us.

• Like 2

• General Member

I love to hate the misinformation like that (the thought that they go off randomly & is the reason for the recall)

and that and the thought that the Dealer (any dealer Joe Bloggs on a corner ) can magically sort you you in half an hour on the day you ring them

I keep the thread updated & bump it to get people to realise this is still a thing so I hope I'm not adding to the woes :P

Jared

Ok so from what I know the process works like this. First you get a letter from Subaru NZ explaining the recall and yes your car is included, but sit tight as parts aren't available for you yet. A few months later you get a 2nd letter saying your parts are in and contact your local dealer to arrange a time for replacement. Once the booking is made, the dealer orders your replacement airbag inflator from Subaru NZ. You drop off your car for half a day and sorted. The old inflator is sent back to Subaru NZ who then in turn, send it back to Japan.

If you haven't received either letter yet, don't worry. The chances of failure are small, and none recorded in NZ. Ringing your dealer to give them the hurry up or an earful won't help. Until Subaru NZ have a unit specifically for you, the dealer can't do anything. Think about how many of these cars are on our roads. Sit back and fathom the scope of the situation. It's massive. This is a recall that is going to take years to complete. Yours may be the last one to get called up. Someone has to be last!

I imagine imports will eventually be covered, but only once all NZ new vehicles are completed. Don't expect anything until next year, maybe even 2019.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
14 minutes ago, Joker said:

and 3 years on its now a National news recall, somehow the gummimint thinks its important all of a sudden

It's not that's important now it's just it's part of the WOF check now so it's news.

So few cars have had the replacement, either as owner didn't bother or were never contacted. Also to be honest the recall changed and different countries had different models listed, USA had GRB chassis on the list once when I checked, nz one didn't. Guess find out next WOF check if you fail.

• Like 2

Had both of my NZ new but second hand 2007 Outback and Legacy airbags replaced.Both cars have clicked over 100,000k’s and are in very good condition.Drove Outback in with no airbag light,drove out with airbag light on.Returned vehicle and problem fixed,but damage to dash 25 mm dia vinyl missing,lever marks around center vents,scratched glove box and panels,glove box misaligned.Legacy faired better with dash center speaker clips damaged and a hell rattle.Workshop managers response,I didn’t do the job.Service mangers response,nothing.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2017 at 10:56 PM, boostin said:

The issue is with moisture causing corrosion in the inflator casing which can rupture on airbag deployment, sending bits of shrapnel out inside the airbag. Currently only NZ new vehicles are being recalled,

Jesus! 

I pictured this happening as i was reading this sentance

epic

• Like 1

• Joker changed the title to Takata airbags recall
5 hours ago, Dre said:

Had both of my NZ new but second hand 2007 Outback and Legacy airbags replaced.Both cars have clicked over 100,000k’s and are in very good condition.Drove Outback in with no airbag light,drove out with airbag light on.Returned vehicle and problem fixed,but damage to dash 25 mm dia vinyl missing,lever marks around center vents,scratched glove box and panels,glove box misaligned.Legacy faired better with dash center speaker clips damaged and a hell rattle.Workshop managers response,I didn’t do the job.Service mangers response,nothing.

Make an appointment to see the general manager..

He will sort it out..

• Admin

5 hours ago, Dre said:

Did you have pics of the dash before the swap? 

The Aussie pages have that happening every other day. With proof they all seem to be getting new dashes which is a decent deal considering most are starting to get sticky and cracking so not far from technically needing replacement anyway

• Like 1

Anyone know what happens if you fail your warrant because of the airbag issue and it's an import?

I'm assuming you would have to cough up and get it done then try get Subaru to cover it.

I'm going to send another email to Subaru to find 1. Is my car in the recall or not 2. Will they pay if it fails?

23 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Anyone know what happens if you fail your warrant because of the airbag issue and it's an import?

I'm assuming you would have to cough up and get it done then try get Subaru to cover it.

I'm going to send another email to Subaru to find 1. Is my car in the recall or not 2. Will they pay if it fails?

Guessing it's going to be a mess.

• Auckland Member

If any Subaru is due for the recall i'm pretty sure Subaru have to do it for free regardless of whether it is an import or not... Mine was imported I'm just on a list and waiting for enough airbags to arrive so I've been told

This website will tell you what recalls your car is due for if you dont know about it already. Just need your Fuji VIN

http://recall.subaru.co.jp/lqsb/

Yeah,makes my blood boil when I look at my Outback dash and hear that dreaded dash rattle in my Legacy.Considered not getting it done when the paperwork arrived but after reading about wof being knocked back on non complying cars and the passenger side airbag only requiring replacement,why not.Problem was I thought the passenger airbag replacement was like the old Subaru’s,access to airbag by removing the glove box.If I had known that it was a dash out job I would have tried to find someone more competent to do the job.Personally I have removed three Subaru dash’s removing everything to the firewall and replacing with no damage or rattles.

32 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

I asked the same question at the dealership and was told they will do the NZ cars first and then move onto the jap imports.Subaru are apparently footing the bill.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Did you have pics of the dash before the swap? 

The Aussie pages have that happening every other day. With proof they all seem to be getting new dashes which is a decent deal considering most are starting to get sticky and cracking so not far from technically needing replacement anyway

Didn’t think I would need to taking my cars to a main Subaru dealership.But I did think that when I picked up the Legacy and thought maybe I had picked up a ding in my passenger door.

I just got a letter in the post for my 2004 Outback. 

Then checked http://recall.subaru.co.jp/lqsb/  and got the below.  <--- copy and past it all into google translate 

Number Implementation Status Category Content Reporting Date (Start Date) Remarks
1 Recalled recall Legacy airbag recall 2016/06 / 30 【Caution for cars not yet implemented】
Although you can update the car inspection, please contact the nearest dealer as soon as possible to repair it.
2 Recalled recall About recall of Legacy 2005/07/06
3 Performed services
About the campaign legacy service campaign 2005/02/14

We apologize sincerely for your inconvenience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A_J_T said:

I just got a letter in the post for my 2004 Outback. 

Then checked http://recall.subaru.co.jp/lqsb/  and got the below.  <--- copy and past it all into google translate 

Number Implementation Status Category Content Reporting Date (Start Date) Remarks
1 Recalled recall Legacy airbag recall 2016/06 / 30 【Caution for cars not yet implemented】
Although you can update the car inspection, please contact the nearest dealer as soon as possible to repair it.
2 Recalled recall About recall of Legacy 2005/07/06
3 Performed services
About the campaign legacy service campaign 2005/02/14

We apologize sincerely for your inconvenience.

I got for 2007 Legacy .. interesting that it says the Passenger airbag might need replacing if not already done in japan (mine was imported 2008 so doubt it).  Doesn't mention drivers airbag though??  I have to wait for a second letter to confirm that it does need doing

• Like 1

Same here, received the letter today.

I am secretly hoping that the airbag has to be changed on mine and that they will break the dashboard when dismounting it. This way I could say bye bye to this cracked and sticky dashboard and get a new one 9_9

Damage to the trim/missing bits and pieces/poor workmanship seems to be a massive issue over the ditch, look through clublib fb page. Make sure you take a lot of photos from different angles before you go in otherwise it'll be super hard to prove anything. 

• Like 1