Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ummm... i think i broke my car... :-(

Kiwi_Fozze

• Admin
 kwi_fozze said:
Factory knock sensor, got it set so any detected knock pulls a good whack of timing with minimal delay. Yeah i know, relying on factory knock sensors, no doubt i'll be able to tell once its apart. Could be a lean issue on cylinder 3, as i'm still running stock fuel pump, i dont know yet.

I'll stop being a wanker now, sorry about that :S

I'll be very interested to know what's caused it to die - maybe look at getting an oil analysis done, although it will probably just say it's full of bearing material... but it would be useful to know, for example, if there was fuel or coolant in the oil as that will cause bearing damage quickly as well.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol all good. Yeah where would get the oil tested? Draining the life fluids tonight, but saw no sparkles on the dipstick yesterday. Definately big end though, horrible clatter when i started it yesterday evening to park it up in the corner at mine. Engine will be out this weekend all going well...

Anyone got an engine jack and engine stand i could borrow for the weekend?

Once you get it going again id look closely at your tune, many times the ecu will not record any counts but theres real knock going on in a low level. sometimes it pays to drop down the background noise value for safety or install some det headphones while testing your tune too see just how good the factory sensor is, is the factory sensor your only used means of detection?

johnny5 said:
Is ya car up for sale yet lol

I think so lol. sold it last year to a mate whos in the army and hasnt gotn as much use as one would like due to his line of work and lack of storage in situation at this point in time so may pop up on trademe at some stage..

marc said:
I think so lol. sold it last year to a mate whos in the army and hasnt gotn as much use as one would like due to his line of work and lack of storage in situation at this point in time so may pop up on trademe at some stage..

**** I'll keep an eye out for it

• 1 month later...

Oh right, good stuff.

I wonder what the cause of bearing failure is ? Seeing as all the EJ207's in the GDB's are fairly well bulletproof. I was under the impression that the GRB engine was another step up.

Same boat here, V7 Sti. Engine had run a bearing & rebuild done by previous owner,engine done 2000k's in my ownership and then went for a tune by Pappu. everything was fine and then a week after went for runs with pappu again to check for knocks or any other issues if present nothing found, pulled fine till the road ended and then had to slow down, when put car in neutral engine would die out, then engage it in gear runs but no acceleration, few moments later hear knocks. have yet to pull engine out and send it to Marc :)

• Admin
 avichal.k said:
Same boat here, V7 Sti. Engine had run a bearing & rebuild done by previous owner,engine done 2000k's in my ownership and then went for a tune by Pappu. everything was fine and then a week after went for runs with pappu again to check for knocks or any other issues if present nothing found, pulled fine till the road ended and then had to slow down, when put car in neutral engine would die out, then engage it in gear runs but no acceleration, few moments later hear knocks. have yet to pull engine out and send it to Marc :)

Ooosh that sucks man. BEB's = the death of all cars lol

Beb failure due to the bearing plate lifting out of the seat because of blocked oil gallerys in the bearing. Grb's are known to have issues at ~100k because of bad rings, blowby carbon deposits build up in the oil and clog them. All of mine were clogged, didnt get a pic tho. Floated the bearing inside the rod, which subsequently stuck to the crank and spun inside the rod end. Thank f**k i dodnt have to replace the crank.

Break in at the moment, pbms baffled sump, one of the last sets of acl race bearings, sti comp. 6 puc clutch and light weight flywheel. Soooo hard to not boost for 1000kms... 700 to go, and another 2 weeks till i can drive it as i'm in the uk at the moment LOL

Thanks for the explanation kwi_fozze.

What causes the rings to go bad ? I wonder if there is any way this issue can be addressed before it happens ? Such as a shorter service intervals(I change my oil and filter every 3000km anyway).

My GRB is at 131k now, hoping it wont have any issues or its already had it happen and been repaired in Japan.

dimin said:
Thanks for the explanation kwi_fozze.

What causes the rings to go bad ? I wonder if there is any way this issue can be addressed before it happens ? Such as a shorter service intervals(I change my oil and filter every 3000km anyway).

My GRB is at 131k now, hoping it wont have any issues or its already had it happen and been repaired in Japan.

3000km is ridiculously low.

I have religiously done oil and filter every 5k.

Also, i do a change after every gymkhana. It gets a bit spency doing a change a month, but the state of the oil warranted it. Last gymkhana the oil was BLACK, think 20k on diesel oil kinda black.

Rings had failed, to my understanding, because of poor servicing in japan before i got it. I mean, it kinda hinted at it, coming in to the country with a defi sti boost gauge, greddy titanium catback and lowering springs, but it didnt sst off alarm bells at the time