Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GRB OWNERS TAKE NOTE

Kiwi_Fozze

After conversation with a few rebuilders, its become aparent these have an issue.

2.0 and 2.5 grbs, nz and jdm, have an engine fault.

Piston rings appear to be giving up at ~100k, allowing some serious blow by and carbon deposits in the oil.

Because of the fine tolerences on the newer motors, these carbon deposits have proven to destroy big ends. All of the rebuilders i've spoken to have mentioned that they have several through, one even had a couple there atm mid rebuild.

Hopefully mine shall be recieving a rebuild later this week / early next all going well.

Wont be a forged build at this point in time, based on other information i've recieved. However will be going baffled sump and other goodies if everything works out

Ive seen years ago a NZ GRB that had done around 50k that started burning oil like it was fuel, it had been poorly maintained and has carbon build up in the ring grooves leading to poor oil control. this is a major problem seen in late model Japanese imports with poor service history, once the carbon is there its impossible to remove without pulling the engine down, I carried out this job on a 2006 audi a6 late last year, less than 100k on the clock but the engine was a black carbon pit.

• Admin

Interesting. Its not often you hear about ej20's having those problems, guess the americans excessive whining about ej255/7 failures covers up the ej20 problems. Suppose the ej20x/y will be just as likely to have the same problems.

You can think what you like, dut when theres an nz new sti sitting there thats had its service done at 5000km by the same place every time, going in for a rebuild because piston rings failed at 120k...

I believe its the 2008-2010 range of just the hatches, the sedans seem to be ok

Odd. Do find it very weird how in the states they can push ej257 to dizzy heights with no failure then some died driving off the lot. Later engines seem to get worse as they get newer...according to those same boasting/whinging americanos.

Sorry didnt mean to come off as poor maintenance being on your part. Ive seen a cam broken in half in an import where oil had gummed up galleries. Vehicle was immaculate would never have suspected it.

Interesting to hear. My GRB is at 131km at the moment, no issues so far.

I wonder if it is indeed a factory issue or simple poor maintenance(seeing as the JDMs are all imports with varying k's on the clock, who knows how they were maintained over their lifetime in Japan), and as the V7-10 Sti EJ207s are known for being very reliable and strong, what has changed in the newer 207s ? Only major difference I know if is they run a EJ25 casting for the short block, with thicker liners to bring the capacity down to 2000cc. Otherwise assumed they have the same or similar pistons as the GDBs.

Be interesting to see what they find after tear down, keep us posted.

• 11 months later...

Sorry if this is bumping up an old thread but I feel this is seems relevant to what happened to me last Saturday and would be good for all other GRB owners to be aware of.

My car : 2008 GRB STI (JDM) – approx. 105,000km. Cambelt just done.

Full service history with Torque Performance from previous owner. Overall good condition.

Car is basically stock.

I chucked on brand new factory size Nitto NT05.

Serviced the car, did all brakes and diff/gbox fluids (Engine oil was Penrite Ten Tenths 5w30)

Went to casual open day at Pukekohe, did 4 laps (2 warm up) then BOOM, big end bearings gone.

Got car towed back to Auckland. Looking at full rebuild or new engine and doing clutch while we’re at it.

I guess we’ll find out when everything is apart to see if piston rings and carbon were a contributing factor and the few laps on track pushed it over the line.

Edited by guiltysky

guiltysky said:
Sorry if this is bumping up an old thread but I feel this is seems relevant to what happened to me last Saturday and would be good for all other GRB owners to be aware of.

My car : 2008 GRB STI (JDM) – approx. 105,000km. Cambelt just done.

Full service history with Torque Performance from previous owner. Overall good condition.

Car is basically stock.

I chucked on brand new factory size Nitto NT05.

Serviced the car, did all brakes and diff/gbox fluids (Engine oil was Penrite Ten Tenths 5w30, probably a tad too thin).

Went to casual open day at Pukekohe, did 4 laps (2 warm up) then BOOM, big end bearings gone.

Got car towed back to Auckland. Looking at full rebuild or new engine and doing clutch while we’re at it.

Combination of semi slicks and stock sump likely caused oil starvation while cornering at high revs. Expensive lesson but definitely won’t ever be tracking a Subaru without doing baffled sump and thicker oil…….

I guess we’ll find out when everything is apart to see if piston rings and carbon were a contributing factor and the few laps on track pushed it over the line.

Weren't you selling one not long ago?? Same car or have you bought a new one?

Sorry to hear the bad news!!

The last track day i did at Puke i got in about 15-20 laps and had no issues. I did do a service the day before and topped up an extra 500ml as a precaution....this was in my V7 with factory sump.

Wonder if it is an issue with the first of the GRB's 2007-2009

^ Yeah I sold my first V11 because I bought a Spec R with all the nice bits I was after originally (recaros, wheels etc).

My mates reckon the extra grip from the semi slicks was a major factor.

Edited by guiltysky