Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rev D Reflash - who has done it?

Marky

Datalogging works without a hiccup, which is kinda handy and also eye opening.

My query is has anyone one here actually DIY'ed a reflash on one of these? Seems Mr Raijin is not trading at present which leaves me without a backup plan. I thought I'd find a heap of info via the australian liberty forums but can't find jack. Not too keen on just paying someone cause I like to tinker (and do stupid **** like have a "flameage map" for special occasions) and already have the cable & software

The minor issue I have is I'm meant to plug in a flash connector under dash - near the test mode plugs - and I can't find which one is right by eye alone. Nothing major by any stretch but not keen on fcking it up by shorting the wrong pins

Second issue is I then can't get Ecuflash to read any of the maps I've downloaded from various places - the definitions I have on file seem to not quite be right and I'm pulling my hair out trying to get them to pick up everything - and then don't even know if I need to be yet. Might not be an issue -but- doesn't hurt to ask the question

Any help would be like totes awesome

• Admin

By flash connector are you meaning the black ones that kind of look like the test connector ones?

Needs the exact definition file to work. Even if you have another definition file for an identical car it'll still be looking for the id the file lists. Do the hex files you've got state the ecu id they belong to?

Nah there's a plug which needs to be bridged, apparently?

http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdii-cables/details/24/1/performance-vehicle-pc-diagnostic-interfaces/evoscan-2001-2002-subaru-wrx-reflash-connector

All the googling keeps leading me to either USDM stuff or later model, I'll work it out, eventually haha. Just trawling through a lot of other semi confused people like me asking the same things - my mitsi was just plug and go grrr

Orrrrrr plan B, I might end up bugging you sometime shortly if I can't work it out myself ;)

I'm not losing sleep about not reading downloaded maps just yet - I'll just worry about making my own one work for now.

• Admin

What roms have you been trying? Had a crack just now and all except A4SHB00H seem to load but have very few tables that can be altered. Not fully completed definition files maybe..

Go here and download A4SHC00G, just click the number, then try running in ECUFlash. if that doesn't open correctly then there is something not quite right with what programs have been installed.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7591

Also try download learning view and run that with just the test mode connectors connected, may not need the other ones connected when only reading. That will give you the ecu id and rom id for your ecu.

Main (ok, sole) problem I have at the moment is I can't get ECUflash to even see what ROM my car has in it now, the internets tells me there's a trick to make it work but... Pass. Just gives me a "no ecu detected" message. Can datalog so I know the cable and ecu are working happily.

Any ideas?

• Admin

Its been a while so its a bit hazy but i'm pretty sure i had the same issue at first.

In the ecu menu up top go to select vehicle type then give a few of the different subaru options a go to see if one of them works.

Did you download learning view and see if that gave you the ecu id?

Tried all three subaru read methods, nothing changes there. Just an instant fail... Super frustrating cause I don't know if the problem is a cable error, a computer error or a user fault

I'll give the learning view thing a try later on - have emailled Hamish @ evoscan to see if he has any ideas as well, he was pretty happy to give me a hand with starting out with the airtrek so hopefully he has an idea with this.

Plan B any chance I can have a lash with your cable & laptop sometime since they're "known good" ones? I used evoscan direct to flash my mitsi not ecuflash so it may be an issue with my gear for all I know

Have spent many hours getting lost on google but as yet I'm still just as confuse.... Should have gotten a legnum haha

It will be the wrong process I reckon. I tried for hours to read mine and couldn't get anything.

Raijin plugged in and his standard methods didn't work so he rigged up some sort of read/write switch and some other trickery and was able to get in then, took him about 10 minutes lol!

Sadly I don't know what his mystery tricks are :(

Legnum would be a lot faster, if you put up with the ticking heads :)

You definitely need to bridge the flash connector - that was what I forgot when doing this recently. It's the one shown here as 2003-5 connector: http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/ConnectingToYourECU. I just used two wires and bridged the pins in the plugs myself.

My ECU is a A4SH701K and I have been tuning the car successfully. I'm yet to work out what all the TT parameters are, given it's not a real time tuning system, trial and error is very time consuming. Someone was nice enough to send me their modified map to get started which has helped.

• 2 months later...

Borrowed a tactrix 2.0 cable from andy_mac, and woooo some success. I can get the ROM onto my laptop, which is a start.

ECU ID is A4SH701H, learning view can see it with the engine on or off, so we're onto a win

My problem now is getting it defined, I see a lot of googling ahead to try and work this sh!t out. Why can't it just be plug & play like it says on the box!

Watch this space (unless someone, anyone, has already done the hard work for me please sing out haha)

Marky said:
Borrowed a tactrix 2.0 cable from andy_mac, and woooo some success. I can get the ROM onto my laptop, which is a start.

ECU ID is A4SH701H, learning view can see it with the engine on or off, so we're onto a win

My problem now is getting it defined, I see a lot of googling ahead to try and work this sh!t out. Why can't it just be plug & play like it says on the box!

Watch this space (unless someone, anyone, has already done the hard work for me please sing out haha)

I had a chat to Matt (throttlhappy) about your predicament on Sunday.

He should have a def for you if you ask nicely. He has also given the tools ( I assume this includes the defs and software) to Geoffrey at MCR on the shore so that he can tune the 99 to 2003 cars there. (yes even the "locked" ones apparently)

Anyway Matt said you can get in contact with him and he will help you out with flashing and reading procedures etc. Apparently you have about 2 seconds after turning on the ignition to get yourself connected. Also you will need to the WRX reflash connector

I think it's this one http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdii-cables/details/24/1/performance-vehicle-pc-diagnostic-interfaces/evoscan-2001-2002-subaru-wrx-reflash-connector

Andy_Mac said:
Good stuff. Emailed him the other day about Marky's one too, since based on some other forum posts he's actually previously tuned a car with the same ecu id.

Yes he has, but doesn't like doing them because the motor is so sensitive. Apparently 1 degree of timing over and it will pretty much blow up without warning. Maybe something to keep in mind.

I work on the assumption most of my cars will blow up without warning to be fair, haha

What I want to tune is pulling back everywhere and trying to make it less inclined to assplode, I've pulled -5 from it across the board and it still logs a few knock events so it's not great. This is with no cats, FMIC, 98 (well, E10) fuel and reduced boost. Maybe I just have a bastard engine but most rev D's I've driven still ping, including the mrs's stock auto one. At present any time I fang it I'm just waiting to hear bang clank silence

I shall email the man and ask nicely, my plan B at this stage is loading on a V7 map and just running it parallel (treating it as a kinda laggy, non AVCS V7). I get full boost in this config about 4k so it could be worse, especially if I can convince it to wake up a little sooner or have a bit more off boost go

Using andys cable I have read my rom, it's just there's nowhere I can find a definition for it, so it's like me having a japanese textbook.... the info is there in front of me but f-knows what to do with it now

And yes it is finicky as hell getting it to read, it failled halfway through twice, managed to get an image of it on both my laptops now.... Just can't do much other than disabling fault codes, fiddling the idle and adding/removing timing blanket across the board

One of those aforementioned codes I managed to get to flash at me this morning, got a flash of check engine light of "MAF Excess Signal", AKA "You're overdoing it jackass" haha

• Admin

Should be a .hex file for the actual rom and I think its .xml for definitions

Yea it was a post from you on another forum that Matt had replied to saying he had it. Assuming you are gorgasmb4 elsewhere.

Edited by Andy_Mac

Yeah, Raijin must have the def from somewhere too, but it doesn't come with romraider, enginuity or ecuflash - and I can't find it online anywhere either. In fact most of my searches end up finding you looking for the same thing a year ago, haha

Having the rom is one thing - but being able to actually read and edit it is another.