Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Turbos on Twin Turbo Subaru Legacy/s

gtlegacy

just to hijack this thread, cause I dont want to create my own yet, Im pretty sure I have the 13/14 combo on my JDM 94 GT and have developed a nice little whistle, I was thinking of replacing them with the 18/19's

is this worth it

AND

what else would I have to do to the car if I where to upgrade the turbo's to this?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The VF31/32 Combo is found on teh E-tune. Earlier BH/BE had the 26/27 combo (man) or 25/27 combo (auto) Not sure whether the rev. D used the 31/32 or 26/27 combo.

Rev d could even be an e-tune? I know not much about BH model codes.

etune was a cosmetic 'addition' that was found on the rev C or Rev D afaik. it affected nothing mechanically.

so i think you're statement is back to front in regards to etune & Rev D

RAYDEO said:

ok so assuming i have read all this info correctly, my RevD GTB will be running VF26 and VF27?

so im picking a 31/32 on yours ray.

funkytown']

etune was a cosmetic 'addition' that was found on the rev C or Rev D afaik. it affected nothing mechanically.

so i think you're statement is back to front in regards to etune & Rev D

[quote name='RAYDEO said:

ok so assuming i have read all this info correctly, my RevD GTB will be running VF26 and VF27?

/quote]

so im picking a 31/32 on yours ray.

afaik, MY02 (RevD) came with VF33/32 and MY01 (RevC) came with VF31/32

Ray, you should have the 33/32

• 1 month later...
 rico']

[quote name='h8glos said:

still dont no wat turbos my er20r 97 bd5 legacy runs lol ???

/quote]

Should be VF18 primary VF19 secondary AFAIK

thanks mate i dont no much about subarus i just no its as laggy as a laggy thing :-\

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • General Member

So to date we've seen these Pairs

BD/BG VF*Primary/Secondry

VF13/14

VF18/19

VF20/19

BH/BE

VF31/32

VF33/32

VF26/27

VF25/27

anymore?

another List that includes the TT's from here : 

(but misses alot of the earlier VF08 and 10's from Single T Leggy's etc)

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?s=9bfb03d41e0e2364bf8563ecb425def5&p=16061752&postcount=2

Mitsubishi TD04L-13T
(390cfm at 14.7psi, 200-275whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru Impreza WRX MY02-07.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 2500-3000rpms.
Compressor Map
NASIOC Member OppositeLock Results
NASIOC Member JasperSTi Results

Mitsubishi TD04L-19T
(225-300+whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru Impreza WRX MY08.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 2500-3000rpms.
Compressor Map
19T Upgrade Discussion
More 19T Upgrade Discussion

IHI VF10
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Legacy 4EAT MY91-94. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF11
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Legacy 5MT MY91-94. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF12
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy RS MY89-93. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF13
This is the standard equipment primary turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy MY93-95. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF14
This is the standard equipment secondary turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy MY93-95. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF18
This is the standard equipment primary turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy MY96. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF19
This is the standard equipment secondary turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy MY96. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF20
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy MY97. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF22
(490cfm at 18.0psi, 250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V3 Subaru Impreza WRX and optional on the JDM Subaru Impreza WRX STi 22b. Of all the IHI models, the VF22 has the largest potential for peak horsepower, and is capable of supporting the highest boost levels. It is capable of running up to 25 psi. The VF22 is a roller bearing turbo that utilizes the P20 exhaust housing.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 3200-3700rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and properengine management is highly recommended for all vehicles.
NASIOC Member powerlabs Results

IHI VF23
(388cfm at 18psi, 250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Subaru Impreza WRX STi 22b. The VF23 is a ball bearing turbocharger that utilizes the P20 exhaust housing like the VF22. This housing is mated with the smaller compressor housing of the VF24 for fast response and excellent low and mid-range performance. It does not have the same top end power of the VF22, but spools up slightly quicker.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 2800-3300rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and properengine management is highly recommended for all vehicles.
NASIOC Member ride5000 Results
NASIOC Member overboost Results

IHI VF24
(425cfm at 18psi, 250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V4 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. This turbo shares its compressor housing with the VF23, however, this housing is mated with a smaller (P18) exhaust side. The smaller characteristics of this turbo allow it to provide ample bottom end power and quick spool. This turbo is very popular for Imprezas with automatic transmissions and Group-N rally cars.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 2800-3300rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and properengine management is highly recommended for all vehicles.
NASIOC Members Davenow & mbiker97 Results

IHI VF25
This is the standard equipment primary turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy B4. Utilizes a thrust-bearing design and a P12 exhaust housing. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF26
(400cfm at 18psi)
This is the standard equipment primary turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy B4. Utilizes a divided thrust-bearing design and a B14 exhaust housing. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF27
(420cfm at 18psi)
This is the standard equipment secondary turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy. Utilizes a ball-bearing design and a P18 exhaust housing. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF28
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V5 Subaru Impreza WRX STi.

IHI VF29
This is the standard equipment turbocharger on the JDM V6 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. The VF29 is nearly identical to the VF24, with the same compressor and exhausthousings. However, the compressor wheel in the VF29 has been changed slightly. The changes made to the compressor wheel in this model are generally viewed as improvements, and as such, this unit is typically chosen over the VF24. Has a different location for the pressure hose on the wastegate actuator.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 2900-3300rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and properengine management is highly recommended for all vehicles.

IHI VF30
(460cfm at 18psi, 250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V7 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. The VF30 is a thrust-bearing turbo that utilizes the P18 exhaust housing of a VF24 and the compressor housing sized between a VF23 and a VF22.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 3000-3500rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and properengine management is highly recommended for all vehicles.
NASIOC Member itsawagon Results

IHI VF31
Utilizes a P11 exhaust housing. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF32
This is the standard equipment primary turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy. It utilizes a ball-bearing design. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF33
This is the standard equipment primary turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy. It utilizes a P11 exhaust housing and a divided thrust-bearing design. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF34
(460cfm at 18psi, 250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V7 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Spec-C. The VF34 is nearly identical to the VF30 but has improved spool up due to its roller bearing design. It also utilizes a P18 exhaust housing.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 3000-3500rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and properengine management is highly recommended for all vehicles.
NASIOC Member wrx1905 Results
NASIOC Member Sports Wagon Results

IHI VF35
(425cfm, 250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Subaru Impreza WRX. The VF35 is similar to the VF34. It utilizes the same compressor housing and the samecompressor inducer size. The differences are in the divided thrust-bearing design and the P15 exhaust housing. This allows the VF35 to spool slightly quicker than the VF34 at the cost of less top-end performance.

IHI VF36
(430cfm, 250-325whp, Modification Required)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V8-V9 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec-C Type RA. The VF36 is a twin-scroll turbocharger that utilizes a ballbearing design, a P25 exhaust housing, and titanium aluminide (TiAl) compressor wheel for improved spool. It is essentially a fast spooling VF34.
NASIOC Member dug-e-fresh Results 1
NASIOC Member dug-e-fresh Results 2

IHI VF37
(430cfm, 250-325whp, Modification Required)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V8-V9 Subaru Impreza WRX STI. The VF37 is a twin-scroll turbocharger that utilizes a thrust bearing design and a P25 exhaust housing. It is essentially a fast spooling VF30.
NASIOC Member deathinacan Results

IHI VF38
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy MY04-06. The VF38 is a twin-scroll that utilizes a Titanium turbine and shaft. This turbocharger yields tremendous spool-up but offers less top-end than the VF36/VF37. The spool capabilities of this turbo are demonstrated on the JDM Legacy GT, which reaches peak torque at 2400RPM.

IHI VF39
(250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru Impreza WRX STI. It can be found on all model years from 2004-2006. The VF39 utilizes a thrust bearing design and the P18 exhaust housing.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 3000-3500rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and properengine management is highly recommended for all vehicles that utilize this turbo aftermarket. Though they are prone to cracking, VF39’s can be had for very cheap if bought used.
NASIOC Member trbowrx Results
NASIOC Member javid Results
NASIOC Member downsti Results
Purchase

IHI VF40
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru Legacy GT MY05-06.

IHI VF41
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Subaru Forester STI. It utilizes a P18 exhaust housing.
Info
Info

IHI VF42
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Subaru Impreza WRX STi S203 and S204. The VF42 features a twin-scroll design with a slightly larger compressorthan the VF36/VF37 turbos and different turbine design (more blades). The VF42 is a roller-bearing turbo and is similar in size to the VF22 turbo, but the twin-scroll exhausthousing yields faster spool-up and a superior top-end.

IHI VF43
(250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the MY07 USDM Subaru Impreza WRX STI. It can be found on both base STI's and STI Limited's. The VF43 utilizes a thrustbearing design and the P18 exhaust housing. The primary difference between the VF43 and the VF39 used previously on STI's seems to be the stiffness of the wastegate. The VF43 has a stiffer wastegate designed to reduce boost creep issues.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 3000-3500rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and properengine management is highly recommended for all vehicles that utilize this turbo aftermarket.
Info

IHI VF44
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy GT MY06. No other information known at this time. (Confirmation needed)

IHI VF45
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy GT MY07. No other information known at this time. (Confirmation needed)

IHI VF46
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru Legacy GT MY07. The VF46 utilizes a new five-arc scroll design to improve low and midrange performance over the previous VF40.
Info

IHI VF48
(250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru WRX STI MY08-10. The primary difference between the VF48 and the VF43 used previously on STI's is the more advanced bearing design.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 3000-3500rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and properengine management is highly recommended for all vehicles. This turbocharger is not a direct bolt-on for the MY08+ WRX.
Purchase

IHI VF52
(250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru WRX MY09-10. This turbocharger is similar to the VF48 but utilizes the USDM Legacy GT-style housing.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 2800-3300rpms. This is NOT a direct bolt-on for 2002-2007 WRX, but will fit the 2008 WRX and2005+ Legacy GT without modification.

Last edited by WRXRallyBlue; 03-24-2011 at 03:27 PM.

VF13/14 BG5A GT  BG5A Legacy Auto and manual EJ20H (MY93-MY95)
VF16/17
VF18/19 BG5B GTB M/T  BG5B Legacy GTB manual EJ20R (MY96)
VF20/21 BG5B GTB A/T  BG5 Legacy GTB Auto EJ20H S2

VF25/27 BE5/BH5 Rev A-C A/T  BH5A/B Legacy GT/GTB auto EJ206
VF26/27 BE5/BH5 Rev A-C M/T  BH5A/B GT/GTB Auto and manual EJ206/8

VF31/32 GTB  ETune wagon
VF33/32 BE5 Rev D       BH5/BE5C/D legacy GTB/RSK EJ206/8

Turbo     OEM     Fitted To     Compressor Housing                      Exhaust Housing     CFM Rating     Bearing Type     Notes

VF13     IHI     BG5A Legacy Auto and manual EJ20H (MY93-MY95)        P16                                             BB          Primary Turbo
VF14     IHI     BG5A Legacy Auto and manual EJ20H (MY93-MY95)        P16                                             BB          Secondary Turbo
VF16     IHI                                                                                                   P16                                             BB          Primary Turbo
VF17     IHI                                                                                                   P18                                             BB          Secondary
VF18     IHI     BG5B Legacy GTB manual EJ20R (MY96)                          P16                                             BB          Primary Turbo
VF19     IHI     BG5B Legacy GTB manual EJ20R (MY96)                          P18                                             BB          Secondary Turbo
VF20     IHI     BG5 Legacy GTB Auto EJ20H S2                                        P16                                             BB          Primary
VF21     IHI                                                                                                   P18                                             BB          Secondary 
VF25     IHI     BH5A/B Legacy GT/GTB auto EJ206                                   P12                                             SL          Primary Turbo
VF26     IHI                                                                                                   P14                                             SL          Primary  
VF27     IHI     BH5A/B GT/GTB Auto and manual EJ206/8                        P18                                             BB          Secondary Turbo
VF31     IHI                                                                                                   P11                                             BB          Primary
VF32     IHI     BH5/BE5C/D legacy GTB/RSK EJ206/8                               P18                                            BB          Secondary Turbo
VF33     IHI     BH5D/BE5D legacy GTB/RSK EJ206/8                                P11                                             SL          Primary Turbo

Edited by telemekas
update
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi jumping this topic for some help. This list and many other lists are brilliant but none contain my turbo which is a VF51. Have been scouring forums and the net for more info on it but found nothing. Any insights from members would be appreciated 

• Like 1