Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Knocking noise

D1Style

So i took the car for a quick drive just now to check out a strange sound the car is making.

Its making a knocking sound and i can feel it under my feet each time it makes the noise.

This has happened after my header install. I remember feeling and hearing it driving home after fitting them. Could it be a coincidence?

Its not all the time, just now and then.

I had a quick look and i cant see anything touching but it definitely feels like something is. The headers seem to be really close to the subframe, maybe only 2mm gap between it.

Cant figure out what it could be or where to look?

Is it possible that my swaybar links are buggered? Or exhaust hanger loose after fitting new exhaust??

Any ideas?

I'll jack the car up and will have a proper look on the weekend

marc']2mm? the engine will probably rock more then that under load.. Any signs of it touching on the headers aka rub/scuff marks etc

Hmmm thats what i thought too. Its sitting pretty damn close to it.

Would a set of say, Group N engine, trans mounts and pitch stop help with the movement?? I've also been reading where some guys who have had similar issues have cut a semi circle piece off the brace where it touches....

I had a quick look this morning before work and it looked like it had been touching. Just a small mark. Will jack the car up properly tonight and have a good look.

[quote name='evowrx said:

Is that the nasty horseshoe deadweight hanging off the front subframe?

You mean this thing.....if so yep!

url=http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=yjwckqdk.krj.jpg]yjwckqdk.krj.jpg[/url]

evowrx']Just throw it away.

Yeah i was actually thinking about that as the Spec C's don't have them do they??

[quote name='rex7 said:

you can grind a bit metal off that brace, it wont hurt anything.

I might do this if i don't end up taking it off and leaving it off.

You can clearance the frame and it looks real tidy if you do it right. Only need to take off 5 or so mm and in the contour of the header (should be single skin/layer) and then paint the edge black. Tomei headers require this on GDB with frame fitted. I would suggest leaving it on there imo.

Bit hard over the net as cant see anything but have done the above several times for the the same type headers and if i recall correctly the SSI as pretty much identical copy of Tomei Expreme