Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

PAK file - firmware for your auto trans

killervq30de

Got my car serviced the other day, the mechanic said when he took it for a test drive he noticed a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd under part throttle (I'd expect it under full). I had noticed this too but assumed it was normal. So he flashed the TCU with a new PAK file now the shifts are very smooth. Had transfluid replaced at the same time that would've helped too.

I think its pretty cool that Subaru are still supporting older cars (Bp5 2007) when they find issues they release updates. Not sure when this was dated.

You can also do this yourself with a TCU reset using FreeSSM and a simple USB vagcom cable. Not a new PAK file, but your TCU will relearn shifts hopefully clearing any hard shifts.

1. Connect cable to car

2. Configure cable with FreeSSM

3. Select Transmission

4. Select "Clear Memory 2"

5. Drive car, car relearns shift points.

FreeSSM_1.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=92563&d=1289

Like kwi_fozze said, they won't flash the ECU but the one I have can perform ECU/TCU resets as well as read data/log. RomRaider/FreeSSM work but for really fast updating monitoring, BTSSM is the only way (Android app - www.btssm.com).

My cable is like this one, I bought it years ago though so I have no idea if anything has changed in the way they're made etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-USB-KKL-VAG-COM-409-1-Cable-Auto-Scanner-Diagnostic-Tool-for-Audi-VW-SEAT-/281791517760?hash=item419c155440&item=281791517760&vxp=mtr

Edited by pharnos

Cheers guys - for now I'll just need one to do a TCU reset :)

Yet to learn more about all these flashing business, then I am planning to get a Tactrix. I'm pretty much done with all the suspension mods probably about time to do something to the engine/ECU, just want a better response and fuel economy.

kwi_fozze said:
i'm going to get the btssm app, but having issues finding an otg cable in nz that wont charge like $20 for shipping

NZ$3 from these guys (I've tested this one, works ok):

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=CABDNX6019&name=DYNAMIX-10cm-USB-2.0-Micro-B-Male-to-Type-A-Female

Or $4:

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=ADPDNX0820&name=DYNAMIX-USB-2.0-Type-A-Female-to-Micro-B-Male-Adap

Also, depending on your device, this will allow both OTG devices and charging at the same time. I also have this, works fine with Nexus 7 and Nexus 5:

4Nx0QOel.jpg

Search on ebay for something like 'Charging Data Cable USB Type A Female to Micro USB Male OTG + Micro USB Female Y'. It cost me NZ$1.11

Edited by pharnos

ADIKT said:
I've noticed a thud when going from 2nd to 3rd in tiptronic in my 09 3.0 outback also on part throttle.

Who was the mech?

Yes was sublabs, they didn't have the right PAK file on hand so got it from Suabru NZ. They also did the trans relearn part, that on its own wouldn't remove the hard shift though. Butt dyno says its a huge improvement, presumably they didn't just fix the shift but maybe same other tweaks. *don't tell me otherwise because i'm liking the placebo effect*

Edited by killervq30de

killervq30de said:
Yes was sublabs, they didn't have the right PAK file on hand so got it from Suabru NZ. They also did the trans relearn part, that on its own wouldn't remove the hard shift though. Butt dyno says its a huge improvement, presumably they didn't just fix the shift but maybe same other tweaks. *don't tell me otherwise because i'm liking the placebo effect*

Sweet might take it in to them at some point - wonder how long it takes to do the upload

Just found out that my car rev matches when down shifting in tiptronic in Sport#

ADIKT said:
Sweet might take it in to them at some point - wonder how long it takes to do the upload

Just found out that my car rev matches when down shifting in tiptronic in Sport#

Yeah that sounds pretty good too if not stock exhaust.. You can also skip down from like 5 to 3 but just double tapping rather than shift through each gear. I want to know, because it does rev match does that mean You can downshift all the time. Normally with autos you shouldn't as it creates extra stress on clutches and bands but because it rev matches it should be fine to do.

I think the longest part of doing the PAK is sourcing the right one and copying it out to USB to transfer to the shop laptop. I had a $48 charge on my invoice but that was during a service so not sure if they'd normally charge labour on top.

Edited by killervq30de

Yes sublab = winger :)

I don't see why not?

Here's how i got my update done.

I rung Subaru NZ to confirm there was an update available (Sublab assured me there wasn't).

Subaru NZ then asked which dealer/Sublab i would like to book the update with.

They passed the pak file details to the dealer/Sublab along with my contact details.

I got a phone call within half an hour from dealer/Sublab asking what time i'd like to book in with etc.

• 2 weeks later...
 pharnos said:
You can also do this yourself with a TCU reset using FreeSSM and a simple USB vagcom cable. Not a new PAK file, but your TCU will relearn shifts hopefully clearing any hard shifts.

FreeSSM_1.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=92563&d=1289

Got my cable on Saturday, set up FreeSSM and did a reset.

Holy moly the outcome is just awesome, definitely can feel the difference, especially in 0-60 range - not as sluggish and just keeps pulling. Would still love to do the firmware upgrade, just do not have enough time for that at the moment.

Thank you for the information!