Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

PAK file - firmware for your auto trans

killervq30de

sobanoodle said:
Got my cable on Saturday, set up FreeSSM and did a reset.

Holy moly the outcome is just awesome, definitely can feel the difference, especially in 0-60 range - not as sluggish and just keeps pulling. Would still love to do the firmware upgrade, just do not have enough time for that at the moment.

Thank you for the information!

Keen to do mine?? haha

Andy_Mac said:
Yea freessm only works with the tactrix openport 1.3 and older, not the 2.0 which is the current model.

Why not just do a TCU reset in Romraider logger?

Or can you guys actually load the PAK file using freessm?

Diy is all well good, but for 50$ you'll get the right pak file sourced and installed from Subaru. Mr hey didn't have one for my engine just the trains

• 2 weeks later...

I attempted to have this done to my import 2007 gt spec b at Armstrong in lower hutt yesterday, as I also have the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. It turns out they didn't have the pak files, but they said there were 2 updates for my car. Apparently they have to buy them from subaru nz which they are doing and will be able to flash it for me next week. Will let let you know how I get on.

KarlGTB said:
I attempted to have this done to my import 2007 gt spec b at Armstrong in lower hutt yesterday, as I also have the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. It turns out they didn't have the pak files, but they said there were 2 updates for my car. Apparently they have to buy them from subaru nz which they are doing and will be able to flash it for me next week. Will let let you know how I get on.

I be keen to know what the 2 updates are (mines MY07 JDM too). I got the TCU and he said there was no engine one (I assume ECU). They got mine direct from subaru too.

lately and probably unrelated to the reflash but I think my Sport setting is punchier than the S#. I didn't notice it straight after the flash, so I wonder if its the TCU relearning

• 1 month later...

So to update, I've had zero success with this. After taking it to Armstrong in Lower Hutt the first time I didn't hear anything back from them. Finally got around to calling them last week, was told yes they can do the updates now and I booked it in. I took in to them this morning, when I got there they'd never heard of me and claimed to know nothing about any new pak files for it. After leaving it with them for a couple of hours I got the call back saying no they can't do it. They said they'll chase it up and get back to me. To be honest I'm not expecting to get a call.

I wonder if there's any other options near Wellington.

Karl, if you continue to have no luck, the below is what fixed my hard 2nd -> 3rd shift... $10 for the cable and borrowed a laptop. Hook it up, run the program, go into the Transmission section, clear the memory, done.

pharnos said:
You can also do this yourself with a TCU reset using FreeSSM and a simple USB vagcom cable. Not a new PAK file, but your TCU will relearn shifts hopefully clearing any hard shifts.

FreeSSM_1.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=92563&d=1289

• 2 months later...
  • Admin
 KarlGTB said:
So to update, I've had zero success with this. After taking it to Armstrong in Lower Hutt the first time I didn't hear anything back from them. Finally got around to calling them last week, was told yes they can do the updates now and I booked it in. I took in to them this morning, when I got there they'd never heard of me and claimed to know nothing about any new pak files for it. After leaving it with them for a couple of hours I got the call back saying no they can't do it. They said they'll chase it up and get back to me. To be honest I'm not expecting to get a call.

I wonder if there's any other options near Wellington.

Any joy with this? Mine ('05 BP) occasionally REALLY bangs a shift...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had another go with lower hutt, 4th attempt. This time, apparently using the correct pak file, there was some sort of encryption error. So still no joy. Probably could have driven to Auckland and had it done in the time I've wasted on this now haha.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got the cable, running it into my tablet in car, using BTSSM, get a nice readout of selected guages, realtime. Not sure which guages are important, will keep changing them to se what ones are more relevant.

Just tried using laptop to connect to TCU and clear memory also, didn't read instructions well, cleared "Memory" before I saw "Memory 2"... haven't tried it yet but heading out soon, hopefully it will still work!

So a quick update. After 5 attempts with Armstrong still no go. I do now have a copy of the pak file, which may of may not be of any use.

Moving to Christchurch so I'll try my luck down there, although much worse problems with my 5EAT after a fluid change. I don't recommend putting anything in your transmission other that subaru ATF-HP. I've now got major shudder issues after a shop put the equivalent Valvoline fluid in.

• 8 months later...

Were they able to tell if your car was compatible with the upgrade before they hooked into the ECU? Armstrongs in Chch told me that they couldn't tell prior to getting the car and trying it and were going to charge me regardless of the outcome. Needless to say I haven't had it done. I would've thought they could tell me with VIN/engine/transmission numbers.

1 hour ago, alfie said:

Were they able to tell if your car was compatible with the upgrade before they hooked into the ECU? Armstrongs in Chch told me that they couldn't tell prior to getting the car and trying it and were going to charge me regardless of the outcome. Needless to say I haven't had it done. I would've thought they could tell me with VIN/engine/transmission numbers.

Yea I'm based in Christchurch now, I've had a few dealings with them and to be honest they appear to be complete muppets. I asked for a quote to do the reflash and a trans service and they never got back to me. I've been in several times trying to source parts for my RS RA and they always take my details then nothing. I'm sure they would happily sell me a new car. I still haven't got mine sorted but I would try Crowesport or I believe M45 can do it.