Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

buying a turbo for big power

resurrection.inc

865 cc injectors won't be any use if you want to run e85, even on 98 they will be maxed, well mine were maxed at 298.5kw on 98.

I had to change them for much bigger to have leeway on 98 and to enable me to run e85. Personally I would stick to garett turbo been proven to hit 300kw+ by a few members on here.

In saying that now I would just get a turbo through Steve Murch and tell him what you want from it. it will be built for exactly what you need, if I knew of him when I bought the turbo I would have used him.

As I said in the pm if you want a reliable ,motor you can't cut corners and believe me you will want local help in case things don't go well, buying stuff from the states is fine but if something doesn't work they will not help you, and if my experience is anything to go by there will be teething problems you have to work out. You will need local support.

Edited by ballsrburning

The thing with steves advice is you either listen to the lot or not at all. If you dont do everything it doesnt come off. Then people blame him/the turbo and still have a car that doesnt perform because it was never built right to start with.

So what he said about cams, holset, twin scroll the works yep itll work and make the power on pump but only if you actually do what he said.

• Admin
 lachlan said:
that turbo is for a pos diesel .

Errr lots of people run them with success on small petrol engines, they have very efficient turbine wheels so despite their relatively simple design they go well.

300kw is not big power.

If you want something that will pin you to your seat AND spool quickly, well, tough ****, it doesn't exist for a Subaru 2.0

Closest you will get is a BorgWarner EFR, second place probably a Garrett GTX with Holset and BorgWarner SX in a close third place. But there just isn't enough displacement to get what I would call "quick" spool and still output that kind of power.

• Admin

300wkw is achievable with an unopened EJ207, so why would you bother changing the motor in this instance?

You can't throw a EJ257 in there and just magically make 300wkw with the pissy little VF hairdryer, you would still have to do all of the exact same work described in the other thread (aka twisted turbo and all the associated BS) and at the end of the day what you will probably achieve is slightly improved off-boost drivability, which I am going to draw a VERY long bow (not really) and guess is not a priority for OP.

• Admin
 boon said:
300wkw is achievable with an unopened EJ207, so why would you bother changing the motor in this instance?

You can't throw a EJ257 in there and just magically make 300wkw with the pissy little VF hairdryer, you would still have to do all of the exact same work described in the other thread (aka twisted turbo and all the associated BS) and at the end of the day what you will probably achieve is slightly improved off-boost drivability, which I am going to draw a VERY long bow (not really) and guess is not a priority for OP.

On an unopened 207? You'd be referring to say V7 and up 207's right? Fairly certain v5-6 207 due to being open deck, couldn't handle the jandle.

Otherwise I'm fairly agreed with the statements that've been made here.

Personally if you're wanting 300kw, and you're wanting SOME response in the mid range (forget about bottom end for boost). I'd say Holset HX35/2 (twin scroll and because local support) with a billet comp wheel (or like others have said a Garret GTX3071 like Ballsrburning is running), some really good injectors around the 1000cc range so you've got some breathing room, flipped manifold + twisted turbo setup and your fuel system. Not to mention some cams which will help as long as you get a good set that aren't too aggressive.

imho build for more than what you're expecting. It's what I'm hoping to do with my STi RA as I'm aiming for 220 - 240kw @ wheels but building for it to take around 280 happy. I'm confident my gearbox will throw a leg out of bed before I get anywhere near 280kw though xD

• Admin
 evowrx said:
Ummm theres quite a few gt30 based builds with more power on curve top to bottom over vfs...on pump too. Twin scroll helps the bigger frame stuff work down low as does avcs.

I was meaning proper bottom. eg no real boost / power before around 3.2-3.5k

It'll always be sweet for cruising around but I mean power around that area.

• Admin
 resurrection.inc said:
Getting hx35/2 soon as i have that coin so i am looking fir a twin scroll sump and pick up now if anyone has info where to get one. Buying twin scroll hesders from nzkw this week and getting flange made for twisted to t3 for turbo a d twin wastegates.

Just a question, will the car be tracked? If it will be and the like, maybe think about getting a better sump?

It's not 'cheap' but It's very well priced comparatively. Worth it too if you're going to track it.

http://www.killerbmotorsport.net/oiling-products/combo/3-piece-pan-pickup-baffle.html

evowrx said:
Vf/td04 dont make power there either.

I was curious so checked my dyno graphs and I will confirm the vf28 only makes around 110 kW at 3500 rpm my gtx3071r is basically the same at 120 kW. But by 4000 rpm there's a whole lot of difference. Basically my car comes on boost the same time it used to with a much smaller turbo.