Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BL BP Exhaust Thread

McDoof

Just got my set of Pre facelift GTB mufflers. Will see how those work out for me. Definitely the best tips of any of the stock options. Need to get my hands on a welding machine so I can mod them.

Yes those are from a wagon, but my whole system has been pulled under the car a bit because of the Ultrex mufflers I had on there so hopefully these should fit nicely.

IMG_20151104_133855_zpszoik8tk9.jpg

McDoof said:
Just got my set of Pre facelift GTB mufflers. Will see how those work out for me. Definitely the best tips of any of the stock options. Need to get my hands on a welding machine so I can mod them.

Yes those are from a wagon, but my whole system has been pulled under the car a bit because of the Ultrex mufflers I had on there so hopefully these should fit nicely.

IMG_20151104_133855_zpszoik8tk9.jpg

Any difference in sound?

Depends on budget to some extent. Start with a tune and 3rd cat delete. Both will change the tone for the better without making it much louder. If you have a bit of budget then look at some mufflers and/or headers. Don't go crazy on big flowing mufflers though. They will most likely drone. If you just want some tone then look into something like STI quad tips. The come up used once in a while but are stupidly expensive new. Headers will give you a more Porsche esque sound and a bit of a power boot too. A good tuner should be able to reduce cruising drone in most cases anyway. The stock mid section is actually very good at keeping drone down too. If you take that out its very difficult to shut it up again.

Edited by McDoof

Sorry, bit late to the thread!

My setup:

- Raptor intake

- Raptor headers

- Xforce cats (stainless 100cell) (would recommend 200 or keep stock)

- Coby 10" resonators up the front

- Custom center with a Vibrant 1141

- Xforce rear Y pipe, modified to have a 20" Coby

- Xforce mufflers

I went through a huge trial and error journey with my setup, I still need to get a final exhaust clip, but am liking the sound she puts out.

Pictures available at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tyron-d675/

Sound before the Vibrant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJLwib0NwA

Sound after the Vibrant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDIzPTku70s

There is a bit of drone, but nothing I can't live with. It's definitely a meaty sound now. If anything, a bit like a GTR perhaps?

Forgot to mention - when Matt come into NZ, he did a tune on it and that helped out a lot with a loss of power I felt when the catback went in. There's a bit of a huge thread over on the Aussie site:

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29542

Edited by Daytona
Added notes about tune and the Aussie site.

I still want to have a drive at some point in your car. I took mine out to Hunua Falls on the weekend and I remember exactly why I bought the H6. Just effortless power. Not throw you off the road and maim you for life power, just good smooth consistent delivery and music to your ears when giving it some stick.

The thing that put me over the edge for my car was oddly enough the cup holders.

They've got blue lights :-)

Nah, the biggest thing was the chain drive and I didn't want a turbo again.

I'm totally all good with you taking the car for a spin (I wouldn't mind seeing how your's goes either!). I'll flick a message anywho.

That road is great for testing, another great one is the back road from Waihi to Thames - very awesome twisties through there!

• Admin

Love it. Sounds more like a high end euro with that exhaust than a tinny subaru.

Would be cautious down Birch though ay. Cops are pretty good at pinging people down there for anything. Its always been a pretty popular spot for the yobbo's

Don't suppose you work down there do you? Used to always see a Spec B parked up pretty much right outside that building.

Haha - did you recognize the second video and where that was? :-)

Thanks for the comment, will really try and get another clip soon, just have to organize it with the missus.

I don't go down there often, had a feeling yobbos would use the roads around there. Challenging to find a spot around Tauranga to do videos!

Nah, I don't work down there, I work in the city.

Daytona said:
Sorry, bit late to the thread!

My setup:

- Raptor intake

- Raptor headers

- Xforce cats (stainless 100cell) (would recommend 200 or keep stock)

- Coby 10" resonators up the front

- Custom center with a Vibrant 1141

- Xforce rear Y pipe, modified to have a 20" Coby

- Xforce mufflers

Did you notice much difference after installing the Vibrant 1141? Noise levels in particular? Where did you get it from? Amazon?

Daytona said:
Haha - did you recognize the second video and where that was? :-)

Thanks for the comment, will really try and get another clip soon, just have to organize it with the missus.

I don't go down there often, had a feeling yobbos would use the roads around there. Challenging to find a spot around Tauranga to do videos!

Nah, I don't work down there, I work in the city.

Welcome bay road FTW

Or failing that the 1.5km time trial to the pap hills quarry. Lots of good echoey opportunities

AdamOst said:
Is there anyway to make an auto 3L sound cool when putting the boot in, but doesnt have the auto drone when cruising D:

Hi Adam, I had an x-force legacy catback system in my 3L BP5 a few months ago before I sold it although it was the 6 speed manual version. It sounded like.. you cant describe how nice it sounded... They were extremley nice tips too, sort of like the stocks but a lot larger son it kept the lower profile look. The best part was there was such little drone you could barley hear it when cruising but when booting it it sounded like a JDM unicorn hooning down the road. 10/10 would recommend.

iwfnwzt5.znv.jpg

njkjfj0h.gsz.jpg

Andy_Mac said:
You have any brighter pictures of those mufflers toomtom? Quite like the size of those, don't look quite as large and in your face as most dual tip options for these cars.

The only others i can seem to find are these. After browsing these pictures I wish I never sold it now..

vpx1rg4z.tzo.jpg

2frq2u1s.jnb.jpg

With the Vibrant

Yep, huge difference when that went in. Long story short, I did the headers and cats first, got a lot of rasp. Then two resonators went in and reduced the rasp. Then the catback went in and for me there was a bit of drone. Also loss of power when the catback went in. I put some custom inserts I made into the mufflers and that helped with power and drone.

Then I got the Vibrant and most of the drone was gone, now the exhaust just sounds good. My inserts are out now, after a tune.

And yep, got the Vibrant from Amazon, McDoof put me onto that muffler, was searching for a while for a mid muffler. TTT Automotive did the work on the center pipe and the Y pipe.

Welcome Bay road

Thanks heaps for that Marky, will remember that, as well as the quarry.

Pictures

I'll get some pics up of the XForce mufflers during the week - they are quite nice and suit a stock look rather good. They're not in your face and the tips are adjustable as well. I've got them rather close into the body. I had a look at the pictures I linked and realized there are no photos of the back end of the car, well, there's one but it's not a very useful photo.

I did paint the body of the mufflers and the Y pipe black though - when I first put the catback in, the mufflers were a bit too shiny from the rear.

I got the Xforce catback from Redline Performance in Auckland. I think they're the only stockist in NZ.

Not sure on the difference between 184 and 194 versions - what car model are you looking at?

This is for a 3.0:

http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/products/exhaust/exhaust-systems/subaru/xforce-legacy-3-0l-6cyl-04-09-cat-back-exhaust/

It looks like that's a stainless system for $700 which is a pretty good price. 2.5" pipe.

This seems to be for a GT 2.0/2.5:

http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/products/exhaust/exhaust-systems/subaru/xforce-legacy-gt-sedan-03-09-cat-back-exhaust/

That looks like mild steel for $800, stainless would probably be more. 3" pipe.

I would be wary of drone with the Xforce, especially that resonator.

The Redline guys were pretty good, however I did get an incorrect center pipe with my kit and had to have a custom center made.

Edited by Daytona
Added note about drone and the custom center