BL BP Exhaust Thread

McDoof

Invisible said:
This is my setup

03 BP5 GT Spec B Auto

Subtech downpipe -> Custom mid section -> Into Genome tips

Pic of the mid section before being bolted back onto the downpipe

19360549319_8f872a5383_z.jpg

With the height of my car and the way the rear sway bar sits the exhaust hangs a bit too low for a perfect setup but doesn't scrape everywhere I go (which is good)

Overall I am very happy with my setup now :)

Do you have a sound clip of this combo? I have the genomes now and will get the down pipe and mid later (what diameter is yours?)

Andy_Mac said:
Got it from Rallysport Direct. Tried getting it from an Aussie store but would have worked out even more suprisingly.

Na cars not running yet. Hoping to have her running again this weekend

How much did they sting you for GST coming in to the country? Looks like about $1500 NZD shipped excluding tax for that setup which isn't too bad.

• Admin

Haha don't even want to think about what it cost in the end. Its the problem with parts like this. The second I first saw one I knew at some point I had to get it, cost wasn't a factor that came into the decision.

41 had quoted around $1700 to my door but with a few months for delivery. This way it only took about 2 weeks which included it sitting in customs for most of a week.

• Andy_Mac pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

I all booked for my tune and my setup will be 07 Auto GT 2.0  Subtech->Stock Mid->Genome muffler.  After listening to @knockoutgiant YT video with the same setup I think it will be too loud.

@Invisible what did you go with for your custom midpipe?  just replace stock resonator with a 19" or 24" ?  is 2,2.5,3"?

Speaking with Tony @ Dtech over email he said that changing the muffler/midpipe later will affect the tune, ECU will learn a little bit around it.  But I want to get it sorted before the tune or at worst Try it out after the dyno, if that fails then exhaust shop round the corner (hopefully?) and get it rechecked after (if that's possible and not $$$$'s for recheck)

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 2:06 PM, knockoutgiant said:

Right, 03 BL5 2L twinscroll turbo 5speed

STI BP5 Genomes with Stock mid-pipe but Subtech downpipe. Basically the same, however slightly louder at idle and round town but ridiculous at WOT (Still not droney so okay for me!)

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 4:25 PM, Invisible said:

This is my setup

03 BP5 GT Spec B Auto

Subtech downpipe -> Custom mid section -> Into Genome tips

Pic of the mid section before being bolted back onto the downpipe

19360549319_8f872a5383_z.jpg

With the height of my car and the way the rear sway bar sits the exhaust hangs a bit too low for a perfect setup but doesn't scrape everywhere I go (which is good)

Overall I am very happy with my setup now :)

Gasket question with the Subtech..

With the downpipe they include a mesh cone shaped gasket(?) .. should I purchase a turbo to DP and DP to midpipe gasket just to rule that out as a leak in the future .. where best to get from if I do.. Subaru or someone cheaper?

9 minutes ago, killervq30de said:

Gasket question with the Subtech..

With the downpipe they include a mesh cone shaped gasket(?) .. should I purchase a turbo to DP and DP to midpipe gasket just to rule that out as a leak in the future .. where best to get from if I do.. Subaru or someone cheaper?

The last set of gaskets I got were directly from winger

That gasket supplied is called a donut gasket - why not just use that one? 

Just now, ADIKT said:

The last set of gaskets I got were directly from winger

That gasket supplied is called a donut gasket - why not just use that one? 

happy to use the donut one .. I didn't know if that one alone was sufficient.  So I just need the turbo to dump pipe one then?  I'm getting the DP fitted @ Dtech so I need make sure I have everything I need so I don't hold up the tune part of the trip.

16 minutes ago, killervq30de said:

happy to use the donut one .. I didn't know if that one alone was sufficient.  So I just need the turbo to dump pipe one then?  I'm getting the DP fitted @ Dtech so I need make sure I have everything I need so I don't hold up the tune part of the trip.

The donut will be sweet. 

It would be recommended to use a new turbo to dp gasket when changing the DP 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Looks like theres some pretty trick set ups in this thread! 

This is the set up on my mrs 05 BL5 GT B4 5 speed. Has a divorced 2.5” down pipe removed catalytic converter stock mid pipe to Fugitsobu Legalis Super R rear mufflers. This set up i find is really nice for a daily driver, its got a nice quiet but still there tone on idle and its fairly quiet just normal driving but once you stand on the loud pedal! Oh does she sound good! Not overly loud not tiny but a nice deep barp kinda sound! Imho its one of the best sounding subaru exhausts ive heard!077816A8-B1B5-43AD-8F99-A4158810A472_zps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone, new member but Subaru fan since the 90s. Recently got myself a beauty of an '06 BP5 GT (manual, of course). Previous Japanese owner had very kindly installed a cat-back Fujitsubo exhaust which sounds great but is still fairly quiet.

I'm after recommendations for downpipes, particularly how the Subtech one would go with this exhaust (performance & sound). Main goal is to free up a few kW without being too loud. This is a daily driver and a (fast) family wagon, so the sound after adding a downpipe has to be quiet enough to not annoy the wife or sleeping baby at lower engine loads (and if I had to choose, I'd choose drone over rasp for exhaust note). After this, a tune will be the extent of the performance modification.

I'm interested in the Subtech one, as this is the garage I'll likely be going to for regular servicing (and ECU tuning, eventually). Auckland-based.

Any advice? Cheers

32381056_10160290512235514_2242874223104

32349543_10160290512295514_887261538936832501155_10160290512405514_5087899846040

Edited by lateralus

18 hours ago, lateralus said:

Subtech one, as this is the garage I'll likely be going to for regular servicing (and ECU tuning, eventually). Auckland-based.

Highly recommend Subtech, have had all major work done on my Subarus there. I know the owner personally as well so can vouch for the quality of their work.

20 hours ago, lateralus said:

Hey everyone, new member but Subaru fan since the 90s. Recently got myself a beauty of an '06 BP5 GT (manual, of course). Previous Japanese owner had very kindly installed a cat-back Fujitsubo exhaust which sounds great but is still fairly quiet.

I'm after recommendations for downpipes, particularly how the Subtech one would go with this exhaust (performance & sound). Main goal is to free up a few kW without being too loud. This is a daily driver and a (fast) family wagon, so the sound after adding a downpipe has to be quiet enough to not annoy the wife or sleeping baby at lower engine loads (and if I had to choose, I'd choose drone over rasp for exhaust note). After this, a tune will be the extent of the performance modification.

I'm interested in the Subtech one, as this is the garage I'll likely be going to for regular servicing (and ECU tuning, eventually). Auckland-based.

Any advice? Cheers

32381056_10160290512235514_2242874223104

32349543_10160290512295514_887261538936832501155_10160290512405514_5087899846040

yea man the subtech downpipe will do fine actually

i can help with the tuning side when you get to that

also @Subirex Automotive can do all the mechanical bits and pieces if you need a hand  

Getting the Downpipe done just makes everything louder and moves the drone lower down.

if the exhaust is quiet inside now then it should be fine, if it's already loud then it could be annoying.

Fujitsubo are usually really nice systems compared to most brands so you'll have a good chance of a nice deep clean sound.

gives good gain after a tune so it's worth it. Don't go flooring it until you get it tuned as the factory tune will likely over boost. And the cat light etc will sometimes come on too, but not on all cars.

• Admin

Could just do it the dodgy way like me and smash the cats out with a drill and a metal pipe. 

Seems to get most of the gains an expensive one does at zero cost. Stock turbo’s don’t flow enough to be hugely disadvantaged by the smaller diameter, but breathe a heap better without the two cats chocking flow.

Looks OEM to Mr. WOF man too which could save you some hassle depending on where you go.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My new BP5 sti has a huge exhaust the old owner said it was a HKS system it’s by far the best exhaust I’ve had on a car. At idle it’s still louder than my GTB both cars have big tail pipes that fill the wholes up in the rear bumper. Looking forward to a track day when one comes up at Manfeild. 

• Like 1