Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New to Club-Sub, Hello everyone.

brotherd

Hello everyone,

this is our family Forester turbo, SF5C with some 260kms under the belt and still going good

IMG_20150119_073959863_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150119_074111435_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150119_074051662.jpg

IMG_20150119_074807077.jpg

Have owned for about a year, been a very economical and reliable mover. Modifications done in the pic's above are just standard GT-B wagon Bilstein suspension and springs. Am now looking to take it further and see how far I can push the envelope....will throw up more pics and update soon.

In the meantime, can anyone help me identify the model that I have? I would like to know what I can do with the ECU to allow modifications and just what are safe modifications I can do with the standard ECU.

IMG_20151017_175357500.jpg

Look forward to meeting people at track day event's also, have done a few trackdays in my Supra and look forward to many more in my Subaru.

Cheers

Nice, another Foz member! I've got an SF5C too. 230kms and still goes good with no smoke. They're great engines eh?

Heres mine

lF3eBmm.jpg

You're's is definitely a bit more tidy though...and I'd love to have that front lip.

Welcome!

Cheers, always good to hear from other Forry owners out there. Any mods done or in the works for your's?

The front lip on mine has started to come away a bit so i'll need to give it a bit of attention before long otherwise it's pretty straight. How's your gearbox and diff holding up? Mine's really not that flash on long trips.

brotherd said:
Cheers, always good to hear from other Forry owners out there. Any mods done or in the works for your's?

The front lip on mine has started to come away a bit so i'll need to give it a bit of attention before long otherwise it's pretty straight. How's your gearbox and diff holding up? Mine's really not that flash on long trips.

Just the basics so far. New under-manifold intake hose, silicone intercooler hose, wrapped the TMIC with DEi heat-tape, removed resonator in fender. Just simple stuff so far.

My Forester is a manual so I haven't noticed any issues. What are you experiencing?

jmalk']Just the basics so far. New under-manifold intake hose, silicone intercooler hose, wrapped the TMIC with DEi heat-tape, removed resonator in fender. Just simple stuff so far.

My Forester is a manual so I haven't noticed any issues. What are you experiencing?

Did it have much of an effect replacing the under manifold pipe and heat-tape on intercooler? I have read a little about removing the resonator on the intake, what is the reason for this?

After a 30min drive, when you make tight turns, I experience what feels like LSD's grabbing and resisting the turn. Plus the gearbox made a pretty awful whirring sound when just cruising, new oil in the box and diff pretty much cured that for the most part, I imagine it will still need work done or replacement before too long.

[quote name=kwi_fozze said:

Sf5c, unfortunately you can't do very much in regards to ECU. Link or a reflash from STM in Wellington, or wrc developments in Napier.

Good looking car, swapping out the rear swaybar for an STI one makes a huge difference :-)

Cheers, it was originally owned by a young family who looked after it mechanically very well, unfortunately the same can't be said about the interior. Currently have the interior out and being groomed.

Going forward with my current motor, I have just about assembled everything needed to put a VF36 turbo and twin scroll setup on the original engine, and custom making a down pipe, otherwise all else will be standard, will the ECU be suitable to handle that much till I plan my next move, do'ya think?

URL="http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/mikebrotherd/media/IMG_20151018_162531848.jpg.html]IMG_20151018_162531848.jpg[/url]

IMG_20151017_124704065.jpg

I'd switch to a reliable and accurate closed loop EBC, and keep the boost at 10psi or even a touch lower. The vf36 spools a bit faster than the td04, but the turbo keeps going over 4500rpm, should keep pulling right up to redline which your ECU won't be happy with. I'd be aiming for a retune/ new ECU in fairly short order once you swap it over.

I appreciate the info, I struggle to understand why Subaru tuned certain engines in a way that makes them painful to modify.

Is it worth me using a V5 Sti ECU or has anyone tried and had success with Megasquirt ECU's? Otherwise, is there a better ECU I could use? Not trying to sound tight fisted, but that's where i'm going with it till next year :-p

Emissions. 'Murica.

Its really that simple. V5/6 Subaru really started to tighten down on emissions standards, and started trying to get their recognisable performance whilst still trying to meet emissions standards.

V7 onwards, to meet Californian regulations, required the ECU to be reflashable, which is where you can make some bloody huge gains in performance over factory.

STI ECU in a forester results in audible knock at idle, sounds like someone's got a jackhammer under your bonnet. Different compression ratios between the wrx and STI. As evowrx suggested, a wrx ECU will give you a bit more go, but not massively.

brotherd said:
I appreciate the info, I struggle to understand why Subaru tuned certain engines in a way that makes them painful to modify.

Also remember that the mods you are wanting to do, weren't around (or probably even thought of) at the time of the factory ECU, so it's no surprise that it won't like it. It would probably have no idea how to handle the mods, it'll be like... WTF?!?!

Thanks for the help guys. I'll try keep my eye's peeled for a standard WRX ECU. I have modified plenty of Toyota's in the past and you seem to get away with murder when it comes to mods.

Here's my old MK3 Supra, I fitted and wired up a 2JZGTE, then single turboed and made my own down-pipe/exhaust. Made 300kw on the standard ECU :-D

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0400%202.jpg

[video=youtube;Q7hb91gKp8A]