Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 sti ecu Info please VS aftermarket

resurrection.inc

Just google a bit, there's a million examples of 500whp + on the stock ECU, whether it's by going to big MAF (in either normal or blow-through setup) or converting to speed density (MAP based rather than MAF, aka that "carberry ROM").

The stock AFM does have a limit - in stock size they reckon it maxes out in the 350whp (260wkW) region. So you make it bigger, rescale to suit, and you're away.

Some people work around it by halving the AFM output too, whatever works works really

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/ecu-tuning-and-performance-electronics/264732-max-power-stock-ecu-cobb-speed-density.html

Suffice you will have more headroom for power than you'll likely ever actually make

Edited by Marky

Biggest issue is finding someone in nz who is actually good with reflashing subaru ecus and has valid experience. Torque use ecuflash which is maf based iirc. Everything marky said is correct stateside but over here unless you tune it yourself good luck

• Admin

Can you get 300wkw on a factory ECU? Sure.

Should you? Hrm, nah.

If you have a Link and something goes mildly pear-shaped the Link can be setup to fall back to safe limits.

If you have a relatively wild build (and 300+wkw is relatively wild) on the stock ECU and something goes outside normal operating parameters the ECU will happily keep running the motor until it's completely f*cked.

• Admin
 kris_pran said:
Fail-safes can be setup on stock ecu as well utilizing the carberry rom.....

Why anyone would throw away 2k+ on a link is beyond me.

Yeah, the entire motorsport community are ****ing dumb. Why would they do it?

While we're there, why have a dyno tune when you can road tune it and make up a power figure when you're finished? Why anyone would throw away 1k+ on having a professional tune their car is beyond me.

/sarcasm.

I'm not getting the logic there sorry man

And why would anyone do -anything- themselves, when you can just DIY it? Plenty of guys on here who do their own rebuilds of every component possible

Some folks balk at the idea of anything more mechanical than changing a flat tyre, but can do electronic stuff in their sleep - then you have the polar opposite of guys converting LS motors to carbs cause "that injected stuff is too hard"

• Admin
 Marky said:
I'm not getting the logic there sorry man

And why would anyone do -anything- themselves, when you can just DIY it? Plenty of guys on here who do their own rebuilds of every component possible

Some folks balk at the idea of anything more mechanical than changing a flat tyre, but can do electronic stuff in their sleep - then you have the polar opposite of guys converting LS motors to carbs cause "that injected stuff is too hard"

Put it this way - there are things that I'm totally happy to do myself, because if I balls it up the worst case is I will have to try again, and if I balls that attempt up then maybe I'll take it to a pro and it will have only cost me a few hours and maybe a little bit of money.

If your tune goes badly enough wrong, you will total your motor. Completely. Throw the whole thing in the bin style.

If you're lucky you'll also ruin your turbo and maybe a few other bits and pieces.

We are not talking about trimming the AFR on a stock motor with a poddy and TBE, for 300kw you'll have changed the injectors and turbo to much bigger items and the combination of these 2 means there is no "base map", you're starting 100% fresh and your first pull with your sweet home-style reflash could ping your motor to pieces before you know what's happened.

Then there's the reliability factor - personally, I like a car that I can hop in, turn the key, drive it 1400km around the north island, then park it up again, and know it will be rock solid.

If you're building a 300+wkw car, you're probably going to have $10k+ invested before you turn the key. Why risk that investment for the sake of what is not actually a huge sum of money?

boon said:
Yeah, the entire motorsport community are ****ing dumb. Why would they do it?

While we're there, why have a dyno tune when you can road tune it and make up a power figure when you're finished? Why anyone would throw away 1k+ on having a professional tune their car is beyond me.

/sarcasm.

Have a kit-kat bud.

Ohhhh I get what you're saying, I'll concede your point

For what it's worth if you went out and limiter bashed it at full noise after changing a dozen parameters you're asking for drama anyway - rescaling and all that fun carry on is a pretty gradual thing and it's not just fanging it at full noise from the first turn over

Put it this way - *if* you have a tuner who's happy to tune the stock ECU, and you have the ability to put the same safeguards as a motorsport spec ECU has into it, why not save yourself $2k on hardware cost - are there any real downsides as such?

I would never ever run a factory ecu with big mods. They are limited to maps etc. Yes they can be made to work but you are just tricking it into thinking that it's got less airflow etc. There is no cold limits, hot limits, oil pressure limits etc. Why anyone would want to run factory ecu is beyond me. I have tuned heaps of both factory and links. Factory is great for sub 300kw.but as soon as motorsport or big power is concerned link all the way. Also links make the car drive far more aggressively so much better

gotasuby said:
Well i tune them usually but am not sure on who is capable up north sorry. Valid point though. If you can't find a tuner for factory iI would definitely go link

Yep thats the problem up here dude noone will touch them except torque who use ecutek.