Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Engine Trouble :(

Divine

So I was driving down the motorway (80km) after a 5 minute drive, put my foot down to pass and all of a sudden my engine starts shuddering badly. Boost never went over primary level (around 8psi)

Backed down to 80km/h and could really feel the shuddering in 5th, less in 4th, none in 3rd.

Parked back at work, car isn't sounding the same (Engine sounds louder?). Open bonnet and see smoke from the passenger's side coming from under the top mount and engine is vibrating a LOT. (Whole car is shaking in idle)

This is a 2002 BE5D Legacy. Oil was done about 1200 K's ago from Crowesport (I always do it myself, have for the last 3 years, except this once)

Any idea what this could be?

No codes came up.

engine.jpg

Edit: Shaking would mean a cylinder is not firing from memory, but the smoke?

Edit again: I always use 98, factory Denso tune

Edited by Divine

The oil breathers if they snapped could explain oil burning off if any started to spray onto the primary turbo & up pipe - and also you'd have an intake leak explaining the sh!t running

Smoke is generally not a superb sign, it has to come from something burning off obviously and the only thing really flammable is oil

Have a poke around, see if there's anything obvious. If you know how to get the intercooler off it'd be worth doing if you can't see anything obvious, it isn't hard to remove

Is it smoking out the exhaust at all or purely in the engine bay

Purely the engine bay. Because I work by the airport I had it lifted to Submarine Spares as they were the only people who had a spare car for me :/

It's not making any bad sounds, just idling very rough. Oh well time will tell.

Edited by Divine

Divine said:
It was a coil! Huzzah!

Bit of oil in the up pipe but will deal with that later.

Nice!

Check your inner CV boots, they chuck grease all over the downpipes when they go, makes smoke from zigactly where your red circles are.