Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help: My Legacy won't turn over unless you jump on the towbar

Flat4

My GTB sometimes won't turn over and needs to be shifted around to get it cranking (i.e. jumping up and down recklessly on the towbar will get it going much to the amusement of anyone watching).

Most likely cause seems to be a faulty starter motor but any suggestions as to what else might cause this to happen (before I lay down a few hundy)?

Flat4 said:
My GTB sometimes won't turn over and needs to be shifted around to get it cranking (i.e. jumping up and down recklessly on the towbar will get it going much to the amusement of anyone watching).

Most likely cause seems to be a faulty starter motor but any suggestions as to what else might cause this to happen (before I lay down a few hundy)?

What's happening when you try to start it? A single loud click from the starter motor?

Check the battery terminals are clean and tight. Also check the terminals on the starter motor and any earth cables you can find.

• General Member

weirdest thread today on CS goes too this one!

yea dont even think the Haynes manuals mention that

I'd say brushes are toast in the starter, does it have to be in gear when your "You-mum-o-lining"?

or yea outside chanch fuel pump is on the fritz / loose wire in the ba-donk-a-donk end / under the seat possibly

please post a video

McDoof']I just want to know how you ended up getting to the point where you were jumping on the tow bar to try get the engine to turn over? I never would have put that into my " things I might try to get the car to start" bucket. :-)

I got a bit angry one day when it wouldn't start so I rocked around in the drivers seat while holding the steering wheel (and swearing) and heard a "click", so I stepped it up a notch with my foot on the road and eventually it started cranking haha #no8wire #ingenuity

What's happening when you try to start it? A single loud click from the starter motor?

Check the battery terminals are clean and tight. Also check the terminals on the starter motor and any earth cables you can find.

Usually all that will happen is the dash lights will dim slightly when key is turned. If you then rock the car around it will sometimes make a single click or try to crank, and with some more vigorous rocking and a bit of luck it will start cranking and fire up.

On a good day it will turn over with no towbar jumping or in-car rocking needed.

[quote name='Joker said:

weirdest thread today on CS goes too this one!

yea dont even think the Haynes manuals mention that

I'd say brushes are toast in the starter, does it have to be in gear when your "You-mum-o-lining"?

or yea outside chanch fuel pump is on the fritz / loose wire in the ba-donk-a-donk end / under the seat possibly

please post a video

I wish I had a video of yesterday's start up, the 30 seconds of hectic towbar jumping would have been a hit on YouTube.

Nah it doesn't have to be in gear. I had the fuel pump replaced last week and that solved one issue (not starting when cranking) but hasn't solved the above issue.