Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Loose Defensive Driving?

eZ_Harry

Hello,

This is a question which I cannot for the life of me find an answer for, so I thought I'd check if anyone here knew. If you have completed a defensive driving course, are on your restricted and get caught with passengers in the vehicle do they take away the defensive driving qualification right then and there or does that only happen when you exceed a certain amount of demerit points? Also, in regards to that how often are there cop stops on the highway from Auckland to Matamata?

Cheers

• General Member

it makes a difference if you Passenger is a full licence holder & is capable of operating the vehicle ie not drunk or asleep

there is / was a rule about siblings at one stage, along the lines of "if absolutist necessary" you may carry passengers if they are immediate family

that would need research or rode-code reading to verify

• General Member

its all in the way you ask the question aye

come back in 5 years & you might see why some of the replies are a little harsh

I'm sure there's extenuating circumstances here guys & rather than rag on OP, lets help him understand the law like he asked eh

link & **** will help

Fine the answer is:

No you don't lose your qualification, however the point of having paid for and then taking the course is wasted so it's a moot point

Cop stops between Aucks and Matamata, none, it's a state highway. However it's a very heavily policed one, and a crowd of young guys in a WRX is always one bound to attract more attention than the average bear.

Those super long straights mean speed radars will work a lot better than your eyes will remember

• General Member

chur & I'm really really against locking threads aye unless they get really carried away, I'd like to see other real world experiences & no doubt this question might be bought up again & OP can come back & tell us what he learnt / feedback is choice

Thank you Marky for the very helpful response, I feel as though I should also provide some context however so you understand my reasoning (also I am unfortunately not in a WRX yet but the purpose of this trip is to buy a car). In general I am a responsible and respectful driver on the road which is a lot to say in itself considering how a lot car enthusiasts my age drive. I seldom take passengers, however given the circumstances I am currently facing there is really limited options hence me asking the question. I am going down to pickup a car and need someone who can drive it back for me and know very few people with a full license yet who could do so (parents unavailable). Also i'd like you to think about it from this perspective, surely in your car you exceed the speed limit now and then for a bit of fun which is also breaching the NZ road rules. Is that really that different from what I want to do?

• Admin

^Exactly.

Buying a car isn't a reason cops would give you much sympathy for either. I had one of those exceptions back when I had my restricted to take my brother round, sole parent had medical issues at the time and it wasn't easy to get. Only ever used it for him and no one else.

These laws are in place to limit the distractions for inexperienced drivers who don't really know what they're doing alot of the time.

There's alot of people out there with situations alot harder than this who just accept they cannot do it rather than seeking weak justification for their illegal actions.

Sure speeding is a similar situation but most people have the experience to know when to button it back and the ones that don't hit a tree or another car, its not just about you, remember. A driver with limited experience most of the time doesn't react fast enough to get out of these situations and will be even worse if talking to a passenger and thinking about the new car.

eZ_Harry said:
Thank you Marky for the very helpful response, I feel as though I should also provide some context however so you understand my reasoning (also I am unfortunately not in a WRX yet but the purpose of this trip is to buy a car). In general I am a responsible and respectful driver on the road which is a lot to say in itself considering how a lot car enthusiasts my age drive. I seldom take passengers, however given the circumstances I am currently facing there is really limited options hence me asking the question. I am going down to pickup a car and need someone who can drive it back for me and know very few people with a full license yet who could do so (parents unavailable). Also i'd like you to think about it from this perspective, surely in your car you exceed the speed limit now and then for a bit of fun which is also breaching the NZ road rules. Is that really that different from what I want to do?

Like I said, take a bus, there's your legal solution

As for me speeding, do you see me asking on an internet forum "Wheres the cops at I want to see if the needle goes back to 0" and getting annoyed at the replies

For what it's worth the wife gives me a world of grief about driving like a nana, and I haven't had a ticket for the past ten years and give-or-take 1mil km of driving

Im not trying to be an arrogant arsehole either sure ive broken the law in a motor vehicle but wont see me saying **** about it on a public forum. Simple thing to do is either run the gauntlet - for the record i recommend not doing this, or borrow a fellow cser or the like to help you out.

If your passenger has their full licence for at least 2 years, there shouldn't be a problem as you're not breaking any laws?

The Defensive Driving course lowers the duration you need to have your restricted before being eligible to sit your full licence.

If you're driving to pick up a car, why do you need passengers anyway?

Divine said:
If your passenger has their full licence for at least 2 years, there shouldn't be a problem as you're not breaking any laws?

The Defensive Driving course lowers the duration you need to have your restricted before being eligible to sit your full licence.

If you're driving to pick up a car, why do you need passengers anyway?

I would think there would be 2 cars to bring back...

I've driven this route lots and at last count I saw 11 police cars and I'm not bull ssshifting you either. There are loads of cops on that road.

I was bored as I was a passenger towing my car to d tech, so began counting cop cars.

• Admin
 Joker said:
it makes a difference if you Passenger is a full licence holder & is capable of operating the vehicle ie not drunk or asleep

Actually the last time I checked as long as they've held their full license for 2 years it doesn't matter - I was sober-driving a group of mates once when I was on my restricted, the front seat passenger was absolutely rat-faced, we got stopped, Mr Po-po wanted to see his license but other than that, no problem. In fact I'm reasonably sure they have nil power to breath-test a passenger anyway so they couldn't even prove the passenger was drunk.

boon said:
Actually the last time I checked as long as they've held their full license for 2 years it doesn't matter - I was sober-driving a group of mates once when I was on my restricted, the front seat passenger was absolutely rat-faced, we got stopped, Mr Po-po wanted to see his license but other than that, no problem. In fact I'm reasonably sure they have nil power to breath-test a passenger anyway so they couldn't even prove the passenger was drunk.

Remember watching an episode of Motorway Patrol (or similar) on tele about the same thing: stopped a guy on restricted, passenger is on full but over the limit. They made them walk home :)

• Admin
 sobanoodle said:
Remember watching an episode of Motorway Patrol (or similar) on tele about the same thing: stopped a guy on restricted, passenger is on full but over the limit. They made them walk home :)

The sh!t they pull on Motorway Patrol vs what the LTA says are 2 very, very different things.