Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

RSK Big End Failure

Comaking

Hey Guys,

New to this forum so forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong area

I've recently gotten the diagnosis that my B4 Rsk S-edition has suffered from a big end failure a week after I bought the damn thing :c just wanting some advice for what I should do at this point, is it worth rebuilding, replacing the engine or just cut my losses and get a new car ( dont really want to do this as I've heard the world rally blue "S-Edition" is quite rare) I've received quotes to get it fixed and the cost is not pretty haha

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,

Casey

Sorry to hear mate. That was always my biggest fear after buying a car. You can get a second hand short block cheap enough these days. I picked up a ej207 (v7 Sti) long block for $1500 then if your not competent in doing it yourself get someone to do it for you. Not sure what that would cost though. Plenty of back yard gurus on here

Hey guys thanks for the replies

Originally got quoted 3.8k to get a second hand long block engine fitted and im fairly new to this sort of stuff so im not 100% sure what would be an absurd price or not haha definitely looking to get the same engine put in it though

@evowrx ah well its not an ej22 but I do like the color ;) haha

Depending on what sort of budget you have, I think a lot of other people (myself included when I owned a TT) would run with the opportunity to do a single turbo conversion

or replace it with an STi motor. Definitely not the cheapest option but you'll be set for a while and won't want to upgrade. The only reason I bought the STi I had a while ago

was for the running gear and if I had it in my Legacy I wouldn't have wanted the upgrade.

I've recently changed the motor in my BH5 GTB, cost $1500 for the replacement engine from an importer and with a guarantee of some description, and I bunged it in myself.

If you have never done anything like changing an engine before, a twin turbo Subie is possibly not the best place to start, unless you have a mate who has done it before!

They aren't like changing a Datsun 120Y motor in 45 minutes in a shed with no hoist...

So as boon said $3.8k is probably not bad for getting it done by someone else.

kwi_fozze said:
Tbh, i'd use a v7 sti short block, with your heads etc bolted on. Should be significantly cheaper than a longblock swap and gives you the security of knowing its a brand new shortblock

Disagree heap cheaper to just swap out longblock.

Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it

Yeah defs not that keen to work on a TT subie myself as just changing the oil filter was a mission ( Engine guard bolt was rounded and couldnt get it off ) -_-

Im Located in West Auckland atm, the car still drives (just) so somewhere local would be great

Legacy2.jpgLegacy.jpg

Edited by Comaking
Testing picture URL

Comaking said:
Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it

Yeah defs not that keen to work on a TT subie myself as just changing the oil filter was a mission ( Engine guard bolt was rounded and couldnt get it off ) -_-

Im Located in West Auckland atm, the car still drives (just) so somewhere local would be great

Legacy2.jpgLegacy.jpg

Such a nice car man. I really hope you do keep her instead of flicking her off. Did you buy from a dealer?? If its only a week old cant you just take it back or send them the bill?

Nice car! The S-editions are a bit rare but as someone else said there are so many limited edition subarus that they aren't worth any more than normal.

I had a 03 gtb s-edition in dark grey. I think the extra bits you could get were the blue or grey colour, the 4-pot brakes, a torsen/helical centre diff (I never confirmed this), genome front strut bar and silver bbs wheels (looks like you missed out on these).

If you have any mechanic mates that would help you out then the cheapest quickest option would be to replace the long block yourself and learn a **** load in the process. But if that's out of the question then get it fitted by a shop. I don't think there is s lot of point having the engine rebuilt.