Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Why does my subaru keep blowing turbos!?!

duncanrp

Allright so. This is the 3rd turbo (including one that was on the car when i bought it) that has blown since ive owned it (5months). Im at a loss as to why the hell this keeps happening. There is oil flowing, coolant flowing, no smoke out the exhaust, no smoke from engine, no check engines/oil lights. New turbo gaskets. Car boosted fine when running, went to work then noticed it was stuffed again when leaving.

What the hell would cause this? I would appreciate any input.

What sort of car is it?

What turbos have you used?

Is your oil banjo inline filter still installed, and if so have you ever replaced it?

Do you use the right size banjo bolt for each turbo? (The oil hole is different size for bb/journal bearing vf turbos, not sure about TD turbos.)

Has the engine been rebuilt for any reason, and are there any second hand replacement parts on the engine that you know about?

Jono24']What sort of car is it?

What turbos have you used?

Is your oil banjo inline filter still installed, and if so have you ever replaced it?

Do you use the right size banjo bolt for each turbo? (The oil hole is different size for bb/journal bearing vf turbos, not sure about TD turbos.)

Has the engine been rebuilt for any reason, and are there any second hand replacement parts on the engine that you know about?

The car is a 2003 Legacy GT 2.0 Wagon AT

The first two were (Including one that came with car) were VF38's. I then did some research and learn't the 38's were terrible and opted for a VF44 from an 07 legacy instead.

Yes it is, and no I haven't replaced it. However on replacing the turbos I cleaned it using brake cleaner.

I'm pretty sure I did? I used the banjo bolts that came with the turbo. Never knew they were a different size.

Not to my knowledge, the only aftermarket part on the car is the air inlet pipe to the turbo which I have had no issues with.

[quote name='ballsrburning said:

Is it in stock Location? Do you run anti lag? What's the setup?

Yes, everything on the car is stock that I know of, other than the air inlet pipe to the turbo.

Edited by duncanrp

evowrx said:
Have you changed the oil since the first failure?

The company I bought it from had inspected it prior to sale (Probably to cover their liabilities). Also I ran engine oil flush through with new oil then replaced with new oil again before driving.

Andy_Mac said:
Thats weird that you managed to kill a vf44.

So you're doing a full flush after each turbo change? Have you removed the oil pan to actually confirm all potential metal fillings are cleared out?

You're telling me. Yes, and No I haven't done that, would doing that now give any sign of that being the cause?

Andy_Mac said:
What exactly is the diagnosis that makes you consider them dead? Major shaft play?

Well you'd see if there's anything in there thats causing problems. Surely it would have killed the engine too if there was much there.

Yeah, major shaft play.

I'll drain the oil and check the oil pan at some point.

Oil contamination is a major cause of turbo failure. Few causes as per last thread but if you dont get them stripped by someone clued up theres a good chance youll just keep flushing money.

I can strip it down if you dont want to pay someone to do it. Im no turbo guru but its normally pretty clear what killed it.

evowrx said:
Oil contamination is a major cause of turbo failure. Few causes as per last thread but if you dont get them stripped by someone clued up theres a good chance youll just keep flushing money.

I can strip it down if you dont want to pay someone to do it. Im no turbo guru but its normally pretty clear what killed it.

What sort of contamination occurs? Metal/acidity/other