Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Mods on BL5 Spec B

jimmy8900

the BL5 specB has finally arrived

just need good ideas for the brands i should get for the exhausts.

Ive already ordered cusco front strut tower and AEM intake, hoping to do some catback, had a look on the web and thot the kakimoto or HKS hi power silent exhaust should be a good idea? Or are there better options, i dont want the exhaust to be too loud.

Also anyone have experience with stoptech? i notice that the stock brakes arnt as powerful maybe cuz the car is too heavy to stop....should i just get some break pads instead of a whole set.

Cheers

• Admin

Worth noting that the AEM intake will require either a tune or someone who knows what they're doing to check over it and confirm the AFR is still consistantly the same as before. Any changes less than 15% the ECU can account for on its own but after that you run the risk of running lean or rich.

Stock spec B brakes are actually fairly impressive in their own right. If they're not performing well you should be looking into; tyres, brake fluid, pads and rotors. Can do braided brake lines aswell but that should be the last thing after trying the other options.

Andy_Mac said:
Worth noting that the AEM intake will require either a tune or someone who knows what they're doing to check over it and confirm the AFR is still consistantly the same as before. Any changes less than 15% the ECU can account for on its own but after that you run the risk of running lean or rich.

Stock spec B brakes are actually fairly impressive in their own right. If they're not performing well you should be looking into; tyres, brake fluid, pads and rotors. Can do braided brake lines aswell but that should be the last thing after trying the other options.

come on.. it looks legit in the engine bay at least...but yeah so should i get ecu reflash or something?do u know the cost

i think im just used to my dc5 brembro brakes...they were exceptional..and the dc5 was much lighter than the BL5 sedan. could be just me not used to the vehicle yet..

cheers

Catback alone and intake isnt going to really going to knock your socks off, might sound slightly more sporty and that's about it.

First mods id do on the BL5 (speaking from experience)

1) Subtech Front Pipe + better Mid Resonator

2) Drop in panel filter (Simota or K&N)

3) ECU Reflash (PBMS in pukekohe, or Torque Performance)

At this point you're looking at around $1600...car will gets great economy, and a bucket load more power and torque.

If you really did want to do the rear mufflers and improve the sound as well then sure buy the rest of the system from the subtech pipe back and then do your tune.

I looked at doing the Legacy mufflers for a more sporty sound and found the best option in NZ was a pair of custom sized V8 oval chamber mufflers from Adrenalin R. $599 pair + tips and fitting...all up with flanges and mounting should be < $1200...but to be honest the top 3 mentioned mods were plenty fun....people didnt expect a stock sounding Legacy to have that much oomph.

• Admin

They do look alot better than stock I must admit but better to be safe than sorry. My very expensive one should be turning up in a day or two ;)

Might as well chuck a downpipe in aswell or do a decat along with the intake and catback and get a substantial power bump over stock. An e-tune will set you back 400-600 including the flashing cable or more like 1000-1500 for a dyno tune. Always had e-tunes with mine and the whole experience has been fairly positive. Mine got 168kw on a dyno with just the decatted downpipe, 3-port boost solenoid and the tune.

Yea if you're coming from something lightweight with proper performance brakes and tyres the stock Legacy ones will feel average, but for stock non Brembo Subaru ones they're the bees knees. Can upgrade to Subaru specific Brembo's for $1000-1500 most of the time but the Legacy ones will stop you just as well with the stock tyres 90% of the time.

Edited by Andy_Mac

heylinb4nz said:
Catback alone and intake isnt going to really going to knock your socks off, might sound slightly more sporty and that's about it.

At this point you're looking at around $1600...car will gets great economy, and a bucket load more power and torque.

If you really did want to do the rear mufflers and improve the sound as well then sure buy the rest of the system from the subtech pipe back and then do your tune.

I looked at doing the Legacy mufflers for a more sporty sound and found the best option in NZ was a pair of custom sized V8 oval chamber mufflers from Adrenalin R. $599 pair + tips and fitting...all up with flanges and mounting should be < $1200...but to be honest the top 3 mentioned mods were plenty fun....people didnt expect a stock sounding Legacy to have that much oomph.

not too familiar with subtech...actually not familiar with anything about subaru yet lol

what is the front pipe gonna do tho..isnt that connected to the header..so think i should change the header too....?im a noob here

anyways that reflash and panel filter sounds good to me

for the sounds i just looked at this website..not sure if they ship to nz yet tho.. http://www.andysautosport.com/products/hks__31019-AF019.html#Related Videos

But yeah if i wana surprise some people that thot its just a normal legacy then bam..get chopped i guess should be good too

Andy_Mac said:
They do look alot better than stock I must admit but better to be safe than sorry. My very expensive one should be turning up in a day or two ;)

Might as well chuck a downpipe in aswell or do a decat along with the intake and catback and get a substantial power bump over stock. An e-tune will set you back 400-600 including the flashing cable or more like 1000-1500 for a dyno tune. Always had e-tunes with mine and the whole experience has been fairly positive. Mine got 168kw on a dyno with just the decatted downpipe, 3-port boost solenoid and the tune.

Yea if you're coming from something lightweight with proper performance brakes and tyres the stock Legacy ones will feel average, but for stock non Brembo Subaru ones they're the bees knees. Can upgrade to Subaru specific Brembo's for $1000-1500 most of the time but the Legacy ones will stop you just as well with the stock tyres 90% of the time.

Yeah man...after the down pipe there will be there header and follows the rest the parts...endless modifications..

Not actually to really bump too much power tbh but just to make it sound better and at the same time increase a bit of power with not that much cash input

I'm more of a person that care about the look and sound over the performance tbh.

subaru;s brembo is only 1.5k?? where can i get them.,,yeah or i should just stick with some nice break pads.

any ideas for the rims tho? im kinda of looking at enkei kind of like these ones http://www.hyperdrive.co.nz/product/car-4-5-stud/194/pf01-silver/1094328/detail?associated=1094333%2C1094334%2C1094335%2C1094336%2C1094337%2C1094338%2C1094340

except def gonna look for a second hand one cuz that **** too expensive for me

heylinb4nz said:

Im not too familiar with subtech...actually not familiar with anything to do with subaru yet haha

sorry noob question isnt those pipes all included in the catback?lol and uh what does the panel filter do..

Do you know if its a good idea to just go reflash the ecu without doing any mods first?

http://www.andysautosport.com/products/hks__31019-AF019.html#Related Videos

fitting i can get my bro to help me so no cost there but yeah if i just want someone to think its a stock normal legacy and destroy them on some road...then the stock sound should be good..

• Admin

Turbo back exhaust with intake is your best bang for buck when keeping things relatively simple, downpipe for preformance and catback and intake more for noise with minimal gains to be made aswell. Think they make around 130-140kw in stock form, never got to test mine since it had a weird map already on it that gave it way more boost than stock.

Oh yea forgot to mention Brembo's for 1.5k is them second hand from a STI, which will need rear adaptor brackets for them to fit. But a fairly straightforward install really.

Quite like those rims, very similar design to what i've got on mine. Remember you'll need 5x100 for the PCD and 8.5 + mid to high 40's is a good size for being quite wide without needing heaps of stretch and camber to fit.

Don't bother changing the rest of the exhaust until you have done downpipe.

As heylin says, downpipe, filter, tune.

If that isn't enough for you then, intercooler upgrade and maybe the rest of the exhaust. Otherwise spend the rest on tyres/handling or styling.

Don't see the point to brembos either. I had standard rotors and Znoelli pads and they worked great even on the track.

• Admin

Except that they're more interested in noise than performance. Could skip the midpipe but might as well do it if doing mufflers and downpipe from a price standpoint at the very least. And an intake is already ordered. Catless downpipe alone does very little to the noise of it unless way up in the revs.

GorGasmSpecB said:

If that isn't enough for you then, intercooler upgrade and maybe the rest of the exhaust. Otherwise spend the rest on tyres/handling or styling.

Don't see the point to brembos either. I had standard rotors and Znoelli pads and they worked great even on the track.

he said front pipe tho..

will there be a big difference if i change down pipe instead of front pipe?

And yeah, will listen to you guys' advices.

subtech doesnt make the down pipe for my year model tho, so any other suggestions where i can buy them?

thanks

Andy_Mac said:
Except that they're more interested in noise than performance. Could skip the midpipe but might as well do it if doing mufflers and downpipe from a price standpoint at the very least. And an intake is already ordered. Catless downpipe alone does very little to the noise of it unless way up in the revs.

yeah, performance isnt a big thing for me as the factory ponies are more than enuf for my daily use anyway.

what, so if i just do down pipe, it wouldnt change much difference?

btw have u heard the perrin exhaust in person? subaruwrxfan on youtube had that, sounded pretty nice but havnt heard it in person..[h=1][/h]

Edited by jimmy8900

• Admin

Front pipe and downpipe are the same thing, just different names for it. Downpipe and tune will get you the best bang for your bucks. Have you actually asked Subtech whether their one will fit your car?

Na haven't heard that one. Being a US brand you might find the tips stick out quite far on our cars since the US ones have longer rear bumpers. Also it won't sound the same on these cars since they have equal length headers so they will never get that distinct subaru rumble.

+1 I found that when looking at alot of BP legacy vids on Youtube, many of them were running unequal length headers which ours dont have :(. At most with a couple of nice cans on the back (Adrenalin R ovals) you might get a "sporty 2L turbo sound" heres what I did on my MR2 (3" down pipe to dual 2.5" mufflers "Adrenalin R")

Bearing in mind a custom exhaust alone will cost you the same as doing the front pipe + tune + panel filter, the system for my MR2 alone was $1300NZ+ @ mates rates.

One of the attractions of the BP Legacy is the fact you can do these easy 3 mods for under $1500 and end up with more power than a WRX Sti Premium...sometimes the attraction can be in being "understated"...looks wise you can make some nice cheap improvements (tint front windows to 35%, custom colour your factory rims for <$200 ).

Lastly on braking, unless your hitting the track, a freshly machined rotor and a good genuine Subaru pad combined with some sticky tyres should be ample for the road.

Whats your total budget ??

Andy_Mac said:
Front pipe and downpipe are the same thing, just different names for it. Downpipe and tune will get you the best bang for your bucks. Have you actually asked Subtech whether their one will fit your car?

Na haven't heard that one. Being a US brand you might find the tips stick out quite far on our cars since the US ones have longer rear bumpers. Also it won't sound the same on these cars since they have equal length headers so they will never get that distinct subaru rumble.

oh sweet, yeah ive looked on their website it says 2003-2006 only, so i emailed them asking if they can make one for an '07

BL5 is twin scroll right?

anyways, will get the downpipe thing sorted and already bought the K&N panel filter..so tunning are around 400 ish is it? never done it before and get the rims changed later as they r pretty expensive for me at the moment

heylinb4nz said:
+1 I found that when looking at alot of BP legacy vids on Youtube, many of them were running unequal length headers which ours dont have :(. At most with a couple of nice cans on the back (Adrenalin R ovals) you might get a "sporty 2L turbo sound" heres what I did on my MR2 (3" down pipe to dual 2.5" mufflers "Adrenalin R")

Bearing in mind a custom exhaust alone will cost you the same as doing the front pipe + tune + panel filter, the system for my MR2 alone was $1300NZ+ @ mates rates.

One of the attractions of the BP Legacy is the fact you can do these easy 3 mods for under $1500 and end up with more power than a WRX Sti Premium...sometimes the attraction can be in being "understated"...looks wise you can make some nice cheap improvements (tint front windows to 35%, custom colour your factory rims for <$200 ).

Lastly on braking, unless your hitting the track, a freshly machined rotor and a good genuine Subaru pad combined with some sticky tyres should be ample for the road.

Whats your total budget ??

sweet! love the sound of the exhaust!

but doing the front pipe+ tune+panel filter wont have much difference in sound compare to before right? think i might just change the muffler later for the sound haha.yup defenitely doing the tint as well, might plasti dip the rear lights(smoke), custom colour for the rims..u mean <200 for each rim right...?

think im just not that used to the heavy sedan thats all, ill get used to it later. how about the stoptech pads? or is it not as good as the stock ones?

jsut around 2k at the moment aye but dont need to rush everything all together, dont mind changing everything slowly

cheers

jimmy8900 said:
sweet! love the sound of the exhaust!

but doing the front pipe+ tune+panel filter wont have much difference in sound compare to before right? think i might just change the muffler later for the sound haha.yup defenitely doing the tint as well, might plasti dip the rear lights(smoke), custom colour for the rims..u mean <200 for each rim right...?

think im just not that used to the heavy sedan thats all, ill get used to it later. how about the stoptech pads? or is it not as good as the stock ones?

jsut around 2k at the moment aye but dont need to rush everything all together, dont mind changing everything slowly

cheers

RE: Sound after (Front pipe, tune and panel)

Doing the front pipe does have a bit of a rasp so would recommend putting a 300mm resonator in there to take it out.

RE: Custom Rim Colour

Link Up paint supplies do custom auto colours in cans to do all 4 rims $200 + 1 weekend (4 cans base colour, 2 cans primer, 2 cans clear coat, sand paper and masking tape)

If you are in Auckland give these guys a call http://www.possumbourne.co.nz/services.html they should be able to do your front pipe, resonator, tune, brake pad upgrade all in one go for around your budget.

I read it as: I want it to look better and DGAF about the rest

Here, buy this

http://www.subaruspeed.co.nz/collections/mufflers/products/exhaust-system-rps-legacy-03-09-sedan

Bolt it on, enjoy newfound noise

Bleed the brakes, see if they get better, next step chuck on good pads or drive more normally

Tune will do nothing for sound, just gives you more power and better economy

GorGasmSpecB said:

What would a stock auto Legacy BP5 GTB '07 (with just STI genome exhaust) make at the wheels if you did Down pipe + filter + tune? Do you have to do filter to get gains? (prefer less hassle with stock replaceable filter, no oil on MAF etc)