Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Raising coilover ride height

heylinb4nz

Got quoted 3 hours to raise the rear ride height 10mm on my Audi TT (eibach coilovers).

Also told wheel alignment would cost extra as a result.

Didnt think the process would be 3 hours and surely 10mm in rear only wouldnt affect alignment (mabey camber but small).

Am I been taken for a ride?

loner said:
I got my car corner weighted once and it took maybe 30 to 45 minutes... so yes you are being taken for a ride IMO.

Yeah from the diy vids it looks like a 30min job tops. From my understanding you can install a full set in 4 hours, do 3 hpurs to adjust 2 is dumb.

• Admin
 heylinb4nz said:
Yeah from the diy vids it looks like a 30min job tops. From my understanding you can install a full set in 4 hours, do 3 hpurs to adjust 2 is dumb.

I could install a set of coilovers in 4 hours. On the floor, in my garage. And I'm an IT nerd, not a mechanic.

If they're competent and have air tools and a hoist, honestly 30 minutes would do it. Car on hoist, up, remove both back wheels, spin the collars up the shock body (or down, if it's clevis height adjustable), wheels back on, drop it.

• General Member

depends if they have finished the job they had started before your when you drop it off, an hour each side for free time, & an hour to get wheels off, next car off the alignment machine & on it

workshops need wriggle room too

I'd be surprised IF you get charged 3 total hours but they are 'allowing' 3 hours to do it

You should do the work yourself if you can to save some coin.

I have very basic mechanical skills and knowledge and i was able to raise the height on my wrx.

My alignment was out after raising my car about 10mm all round.

There's no way it would take 3 hours for a workshop to do it, not on a hoist anyway. You're definitely being taken for a ride.

It took me roughly 2.5 hours to do it in my garage at home, only cause it was my first time ever doing it and i was being fussy and had to get the height just right.

Joker said:
depends if they have finished the job they had started before your when you drop it off, an hour each side for free time, & an hour to get wheels off, next car off the alignment machine & on it

workshops need wriggle room too

I'd be surprised IF you get charged 3 total hours but they are 'allowing' 3 hours to do it

Dropped off at 9am and said thsy could have it all day.

So you have already have the car booked in? As D1 said. You should give it ago yourself. All you need is a jack and 2 stands. $150 and their yours or you can borrow some from a helpful memeber. Remove the wheels and adjust even amount of turns to the other side (if the car is already sitting at level) then go and get a wheel alignment

l2eeFer13 said:
So you have already have the car booked in? As D1 said. You should give it ago yourself. All you need is a jack and 2 stands. $150 and their yours or you can borrow some from a helpful memeber. Remove the wheels and adjust even amount of turns to the other side (if the car is already sitting at level) then go and get a wheel alignment

I ended up getting just an alignment in the end, and will look at getting a $20 C wrench to do it myself, no jack stands but I can use a couple of 2 ton jacks (with locking) .

Main issue is slight rub on bumper mounting tab in upper wheel arch. Thinking I may be able to dremel off 2 mabey 3mm of it to give the needed clearance, but failing that an extra 5mm adjustment may make the room.

Would I need an alignment doing 5mm of height ?

Munkvy said:
This is where you name and shame the company... That's rather excessive for a relatively simple job. However given the choice of car, they may assume you have no idea about cars and tried to see if they could con you?

Yeah I get the feeling a few companies would see an Audi sports car and automatically think $$$$...including the dealerships :) was looking at an Audi A8 recently and got a quote for $370 to do an oil change !!!...dont even get me started on what an RS6 costs to service.

I've had bad experiences with naming and shaming :), besides most people here are smart enough to know what things should cost and how longs jobs should take, although ive found with european cars it takes a bit more homework.

• General Member

and did you get charged 3 hours for lifting it 10mm~ all round still? (Just asking as per the OP)

:P

and after all that are you happy with the service / would you go back (just addressing the recent post saying Name & shame)

Joker said:
and did you get charged 3 hours for lifting it 10mm~ all round still? (Just asking as per the OP)

:P

and after all that are you happy with the service / would you go back (just addressing the recent post saying Name & shame)

No way, I didnt opt for the 3 hours, just got an alignment only.

Funnily enough on Saturday they said 1 hour, and on Monday when I dropped off and decided to go ahead they then said 3 hours...+ extra for the alignment (ie extra over and above the $89 as it would require more alignment changes). Obviously I ddidnt get it raised, but since I had the day off work and was going upto Auckland, I really had no choice but to leave the car to get alignment done.

To their credit the alignment did correct a handling issue I was having.

But yeah the whole 3 hour quote to raise just the rear 10mm was just a little bit silly and OTT.

Dont even get me started on window stickers !!!!! I hate it when they put remind stickers on the front, and even worse when they put advertising stickers on the rear !!!.