Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BL/BP owners - What made you choose your motor/box combo?

Skatieguy

First Subaru BH 2.0 manual for the GF ...was really impressed after owning 20+ V8 Falcons/fairmonts / Double cabs etc ..just so much fun to drive ..then as the bug had bitten ended up selling the 400hp V8 falcon and brought a BH 3.0 auto ...then after enjoying that can so much a BL 3.0 auto ....now I'm looking to trade it for a 04 BL 3.0 spec B manual ....as I like the car so much I'm going to mod up and keep long term ...may even fit a supercharger one day as only live down the road from the highlands motosport park and teretonga only 3hrs drive away

Fuel wise don't really care as long as it uses less than the Ford Territory Turbo 15.6lt av I'll happy ....fuel is cheap anyway

Edited by jbmurc3.0

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine after extensive research. I was initially looking for a 2006 era WRX STi as I wanted the 6MT box but the pricing on even the higher KM models just wasn't worth it for me. Then I found out they did a simlar format in the Spec B with the 280hp EJ20 and a 6MT so I took a couple for a test drive and loved it. Ended up with a 2007 Legacy Spec B 2.0l turbo 6MT for considerably less money than an STi of the same year. Haven't looked back! I definitely like how understated the style is compared to the STi is too - always good giving your passengers a surprise when they realise how quick it is.

well after finally driving a 3.0 spec B manual ..I decided on buying a 07 3.0R trip-tronic paddle shift....brilliant car hitting a steep downhill 45kms corner no need to remove hands from the wheel to change gears or lift your knee what seems like a foot to engage the next gear ..when pushing the car harder

Sorry to hi jack the thread but there seems to be a lot of h6 owners here.

Just want to ask what petrol do you run your car on? 95 or 98? Which brand are yous using?

I used to run mine on caltex 95 it runs ok, but i switched to bp 98 and it was so responsive and seems to like it very much. However, 98 is expensive. So this is why i wanted to know other's inputs.

Had mine filled with z 95 for the first tank or two then made the switch to bp 98

I think it does run a little better, it ran even better after i reset my engine modules through freessm after i changed fuels. (simple battery reset would probably do the job)

Plus i feel better putting 98 instead of 95, peace of mind really.

seith_31 said:
Sorry to hi jack the thread but there seems to be a lot of h6 owners here.

Just want to ask what petrol do you run your car on? 95 or 98? Which brand are yous using?

I used to run mine on caltex 95 it runs ok, but i switched to bp 98 and it was so responsive and seems to like it very much. However, 98 is expensive. So this is why i wanted to know other's inputs.

If you are on a JDM stock tune then you pretty much have to run 98 for best performance, they are tuned to run on 100 octane in Japan. BP is expensive though, so I run mine on either Mobil or Gull, both OK.

You can get it remapped to run on 95, but you will be losing out on some power and torque.

I am the biggest advocate of getting the H6 remapped, just because it made the car so much better. Stock tunes are rubbish no matter what fuel you run. I think post FL might be a bit better.

Ended up buying an NZ new pre facelift spec B H6 manual with all the factory goodies and a few extras. It's certainly a big step up in comfort and smoother power delivery over an old BD legacy.

Edited by Skatieguy

Skatieguy said:
Ended up buying an NZ new pre facelift spec B H6 manual with all the factory goodies and a few extras. It's certainly a big step up in comfort and smoother power delivery over an old BD legacy.

Yeah would be was a step up from the BH for me ...onto my second BP now previous was NZ NEW ..do miss the 260kmh clock + 6 airbags etc ....brilliant car...am actually looking to buy a set of B=spec 18's interested what size tyres you run 215/40 or 215/45 ? are they 7 or 7.5 wide ?

jbmurc3.0 said:
Yeah would be was a step up from the BH for me ...onto my second BP now previous was NZ NEW ..do miss the 260kmh clock + 6 airbags etc ....brilliant car...am actually looking to buy a set of B=spec 18's interested what size tyres you run 215/40 or 215/45 ? are they 7 or 7.5 wide ?

I believe they are 225/40's, not sure on rim width.

looking at a set of ..... 215/35/18 Altenzo Sports Comforter ...but bit worried about the lower profile on these rough southern roads

got the set of spec b rims for $100 ...would the 225/40 be a better option ?

now looking at xforce cat-back and brembos on trademe ......:)

Edited by jbmurc3.0

• Admin

Don't do it ay. Thats way way smaller than the stock size. Thats 33mm smaller diameter than the standard 215/45/18. 225/40/18 is a bit better, only 12mm difference. Whats the spec's for your current wheels?

Edited by Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac said:
Don't do it ay. Thats way way smaller than the stock size. Thats 33mm smaller diameter than the standard 215/45/18. 225/40/18 is a bit better, only 12mm difference. Whats the spec's for your current wheels?

Current setup 215/45/17 from memory

Not only 215/35 are much smaller, they also look hideous and very uncomfy - my old BBS came with 215/35 bridgestones, didn't take me long to replace them.

That $550 XForce system would be a cheap buy if noone else bids, I'm just about to list some all time favourite Genomes for that much :D

PS: you're aware that rear Brembos won't be a straight bolt-on right? Plus R160 --> R180 step up.

sobanoodle said:
Not only 215/35 are much smaller, they also look hideous and very uncomfy - my old BBS came with 215/35 bridgestones, didn't take me long to replace them.

That $550 XForce system would be a cheap buy if noone else bids, I'm just about to list some all time favourite Genomes for that much :D

PS: you're aware that rear Brembos won't be a straight bolt-on right? Plus R160 --> R180 step up.

right yeah like the look of the "Neuton NT5000" 225/40 so might go with them on the 18's

yes am keen on the Xforce system ..just trying to get idea round freight from chch to central otago -M.F $150 !!

yes understood rear brembos would need adaptor plates ...(more of a dream to get the brembos at this stage maybe later in the year)

Plus R160 --> R180 step up ?

Neuton are OK, Altenzo are super ****, would avoid!

Also check out your local beurepairs/firestone/bridgestone. Every second month they have 25% off/buy 1 get 1 50%/buy 3 get 1 free.

Also nothing wrong with the factory 2 pots with decent pads, fluid. I was running out of grip before brakes at track day.

GorGasmSpecB said:
Neuton are OK, Altenzo are super ****, would avoid!

Also check out your local beurepairs/firestone/bridgestone. Every second month they have 25% off/buy 1 get 1 50%/buy 3 get 1 free.

Also nothing wrong with the factory 2 pots with decent pads, fluid. I was running out of grip before brakes at track day.

yeah right am going with Neutons... brakes aren't too bad just more so when towing good load and have car full would be great to have some more stopping power esp when I get the power lifted towards 220kw(from the 180kw stock) etc....I wonder if you could just fit the brembos to the front ?(unlikely going find just front calipers)

upgraded rotors slotted with good pads etc could be the next step....

Edited by jbmurc3.0