Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Hydraulic Jack and axle stands advice required

Ok so in a couple of weeks I'm looking to purchase a Hydraulic Jack and axle stands. I was thinking about the Repco/Supercheap ones, but not sure on quality and how long they would last. Any recommendations on where to look or brands to look out for. I don't want to pay a fortune for them, but I don't want cheap cr@p that will break within a couple of months.

Also in Christchurch so if you know any other shops around that would be good.

I've had the super cheap auto 2.5 ton jack for over 4 years I believe and it's still going strong. They do sales on jacks quite often so you can get a good discount if buying then.

The SCA jacks are not particularly low profile though so if you are lowering your vehicle you may run into clearance issues.

Axle stands as mentioned are all pretty similar, I've got powerbuilt ones and they've been fine for years also.

I got a random brand set from Repco. The Axle stands are fine. The jack is of questionable quality. While it lifts the load just fine, the pin has fallen out of the handle so it does not lock in place and the bit where the bit the the handle goes into connects to the hydraulic master cylinder is only attached by a weak bit of bent tin. I have to constantly reshape this to keep it working. So probably worth spending a bit more on the jack.

McDoof said:
I got a random brand set from Repco. The Axle stands are fine. The jack is of questionable quality. While it lifts the load just fine, the pin has fallen out of the handle so it does not lock in place and the bit where the bit the the handle goes into connects to the hydraulic master cylinder is only attached by a weak bit of bent tin. I have to constantly reshape this to keep it working. So probably worth spending a bit more on the jack.

Is it orange? :P

Thanks for the info, will look at the Repco ones, I didn't think about the low profile ones (I am hoping to lower the car soon. I found that the car ramp stands that I have don't quite get to the wheels before it hits the bumper.

What about cordless impact wrenches? never tried them. Are they any good (I have seen them being used on mighty car mods).

I got a torin big red low profile jack from BNT in burnside. It's only suited to a workshop jack as it would be a bit hefty if you wanted to cart it with you very often, but it is bloody solid. I can't remember the price but it wasn't ridiculous. They do wayco jacks as well which are great but cost significantly more.

loner said:
lols... I'm guessing you must weigh about 40kg if you can crawl under that.

Lets say I wouldn't try and get the gearbox out like this, but it works fine for getting the exhaust unbolted. Feels safer than jacks and axle stands. If I need to go higher I just add another plank.

I work at Supercheap so i might be a little biased however...I've had our 2.5 tonne Jack and its honestly been the best thing ive had! i used to have the black and red jack from repco talked about previously however i found it wasnt really the best even though i bled the jack before i used it. We usually have combo deals for a jack and axle stands. From memory i got mine for $179 and that was the 2.5 ton jack and 3 tonne axle stands..thats without staff discount aswell. If you like i can keep you updated on when the next special is coming up on them? We also have just started selling a Low Profile jack but its about $400 something bucks so my recommendation is to do what Mcdoof has done and make ramps. Cheapest option i reckon. Let me know man!

SpeedySub said:
Thanks for the info, will look at the Repco ones, I didn't think about the low profile ones (I am hoping to lower the car soon. I found that the car ramp stands that I have don't quite get to the wheels before it hits the bumper.

What about cordless impact wrenches? never tried them. Are they any good (I have seen them being used on mighty car mods).

I've got the repco quick-lift orange jack which I'm pretty happy with. Had it a year and had no issues. Seems to be built very well. It looks like it's on special at Repco now for $169. When I got my car it was a bit too low for the jack so I would just drive onto 1" thick planks before trying to jack it up and it worked fine. Now it is raised on gravel suspension so no more issues.

I've also got a DeWalt DCF889 18V impact wrench which works very well. When I tighten up my wheel nuts with my mates $500 CH pneumatic rattle gun I can always get them undone so it seems plenty powerful enough. Definitely worth having if you are going to be swapping wheels often, ie for track days or any motorsport.

I have a supercheap 2.5 tonne and it is very sturdy with decent hydraulics. It was very cheap as well.

The downside is that it doesn't fit under the car, which is pretty low.. and it's also very heavy so

I can't take it racing easily and need another smaller jack for changing wheels.

I have had 4 floor jacks from repco... 3 had rubbish hydraulics and had to go back for replacement.

Of the 4, 2 were low profile and the oil leaked out every time they were used... until there was none left.

The 4th was just plain dangerous.. it would go up ok, but when trying to lower the car, it would drop

in fits and starts.

• Admin
 chulozumo said:
Are rattle guns OK for wheels/studs etc? Doesn't over torque?

Anyone using torque wrenches? What size/brand etc? Looking at getting a bunch of stuff too, just so many to chose from lol

No, rattle guns are not ok for wheel nuts. Any half-way decent one will over-torque them.

If everything is setup properly all the studs do is press the rim against the hub face (well, the rotor), all the weight/force should be carried by the hub-centric ring. So the clamping force of 5 decently large nuts is really overkill.

100Nm is fine, most rattle guns are more like 4-5 times that if you give it the beans. This puts the studs under stretch - which massively increases their clamping force (not that important really) but means that they have no further room to stretch when they need to, which makes breaking them much more likely.

boon said:
No, rattle guns are not ok for wheel nuts. Any half-way decent one will over-torque them.

If everything is setup properly all the studs do is press the rim against the hub face (well, the rotor), all the weight/force should be carried by the hub-centric ring. So the clamping force of 5 decently large nuts is really overkill.

100Nm is fine, most rattle guns are more like 4-5 times that if you give it the beans. This puts the studs under stretch - which massively increases their clamping force (not that important really) but means that they have no further room to stretch when they need to, which makes breaking them much more likely.

Most good rattle guns have adjustment dial on them so you can rattle them on without over tightening :P then go over with the torque wrench to confirm they're tight. Rattle guns are awesome and probably one of the most handy tools around. Makes jobs take half the time with the gun. I grabbed a 18v milwaukee impact and it's been awesome. Air guns are probably cheaper/more user friendly but require air lines ect

I use a repco supplied powerbuilt jack, apart from being to big to go under my car it's been good and haven't had any issues yet. I highly recommend you grab a low profile jack, they are so much better.

As for torque wrench, depends on application. You really need 2-3 different sizes tbh. Subarus aren't know for having space around nuts/bolts so you won't be able to fit them in half the time or will need special size lol. If it's just for wheel nuts then something that goes upto 200nm with a long handle would be best. For engine work probably something compact. If you buy good quality and treat it well you should get 10 years out of them easy.

Edited by slystiguy

I'd recommend the Torin Big Red jack from BNT as well.

I think i payed about $300 or just over for it.

Found them on trademe aswell

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/jacks/auction-1057444311.htm

I've had one of the low profile alloy racing jacks and it died within a year, had it replaced next one died just outside of another year.

The Big Red jack is steel, heavy duty, low profile and the best jack i've owned.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advise so far. Got my bonus today so will be going in and getting a jack and axle stands this weekend!! Any point getting 4 stands or just 2? Will let you know what I get. (Also depends on how much I have left after buying the missus an engagement ring!)

SpeedySub said:
Thanks for all the advise so far. Got my bonus today so will be going in and getting a jack and axle stands this weekend!! Any point getting 4 stands or just 2? Will let you know what I get. (Also depends on how much I have left after buying the missus an engagement ring!)

Get 4 stands if you can, makes changing exhausts etc much easier.